HP17BII & HP-82240B - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP17BII & HP-82240B - Hewlett Packard ; Hi there, I have both HP17BII (not + ver.) & HP 82240B printer, once I want to print some solve eqn. I found it miss some char. randomly, try second time miss char in another places. Did I miss some ...

  1. HP17BII & HP-82240B

    Hi there,

    I have both HP17BII (not + ver.) & HP 82240B printer, once I want to
    print some solve eqn. I found it miss some char. randomly, try second
    time miss char in another places. Did I miss some setting on calc. or
    printer?
    Try using AC adapter & set set printer either "AC adapter" or "NO AC
    adapter"
    I did try other calc. like HP-17BII+ but did not find any missing
    word.

    Any suggestion & comment.

    Thanks in advance..

    Roy

  2. Re: HP17BII & HP-82240B

    roy_ccwchan@sinaman.com wrote:
    > I have both HP17BII (not + ver.) & HP 82240B printer, once I want to
    > print some solve eqn. I found it miss some char. randomly, try second
    > time miss char in another places. Did I miss some setting on calc. or
    > printer?
    > Try using AC adapter & set set printer either "AC adapter" or "NO AC
    > adapter"
    > I did try other calc. like HP-17BII+ but did not find any missing
    > word.

    Put fresh batteries in the 17BII.
    Try "No adapter" mode but still use the AC adapter on the printer.
    Clean the IR plastic cover on the 17BII

    Regards,
    --
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey

  3. Re: HP17BII & HP-82240B

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:21:03 -0600, Bruce Horrocks wrote:

    > Put fresh batteries in the 17BII.
    > Try "No adapter" mode but still use the AC adapter on the printer.

    Yes, becuse "no adapter" setting in calc inserts more delay between lines,
    helping to prevent filling up the printer's limited buffer.

    The printer's speed, in turn, is slower on batteries,
    which is why the calc has a setting to slow down for it;
    low voltage on the AC mains may also slow it a bit.

    The printer also doesn't enter a "low power" mode while on AC.

    > Clean the IR plastic cover on the 17BII

    Also reduce distance between calc and printer.

    If 17BII+ is fine with printer but 17BII can't be made equally fine,
    then was there ever any engineering flaw in 17BII printing system?

    The fact that the dropped character is random
    suggests that it's not a matter of character set
    (e.g. between 82240A vs. 82240B)

    Is the "dropped" character missing (no space), or is it a space,
    or is it a special "bad char" mark? (IIRC,
    characters which can't be self-corrected via ECC bits
    are supposed to print a special symbol instead).

    HP82240B Technical Interfacing Guide PDF
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=4742
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/prog...g/82240bte.zip

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: HP17BII & HP-82240B

    On 12月24日, 上午7時09分, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:21:03 -0600, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
    > > Put fresh batteries in the 17BII.
    > > Try "No adapter" mode but still use the AC adapter on the printer.

    > Yes, becuse "no adapter" setting in calc inserts more delay between lines,
    > helping to prevent filling up the printer's limited buffer.
    >
    > The printer's speed, in turn, is slower on batteries,
    > which is why the calc has a setting to slow down for it;
    > low voltage on the AC mains may also slow it a bit.
    >
    > The printer also doesn't enter a "low power" mode while on AC.
    >
    > > Clean the IR plastic cover on the 17BII

    > Also reduce distance between calc and printer.
    >
    > If 17BII+ is fine with printer but 17BII can't be made equally fine,
    > then was there ever any engineering flaw in 17BII printing system?
    >
    > The fact that the dropped character is random
    > suggests that it's not a matter of character set
    > (e.g. between 82240A vs. 82240B)
    >
    > Is the "dropped" character missing (no space), or is it a space,
    > or is it a special "bad char" mark? (IIRC,
    > characters which can't be self-corrected via ECC bits
    > are supposed to print a special symbol instead).
    >
    > HP82240B Technical Interfacing Guide PDFhttp://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=4742http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/programming/82240bte.zip
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    Thanks for all comment, since I tried both on HP17BII+ & 17BII but
    with difference result I don't think is the matter of battery
    related.

    "dropped" character always miss print like

    Org. : ABCDE

    printout : BCDE or ABCE

    distance between two devices are closed enough (1 inch) with open
    battery cover. I suspect it may be something wrong with calc. speed
    sending char out to printer somehow too fast.

    Anyway, I decided to write down by hand and figure out the reason
    later on.

    Thanks

    Roy

+ Reply to Thread