Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83 - Hewlett Packard ; Fred Lusk posted this on the MOHPC forum. I thought it was hilarious: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83 http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ti-83...

  1. Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    Fred Lusk posted this on the MOHPC forum.
    I thought it was hilarious:

    Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ti-83

  2. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    I guess TI doesn't have a sense of humor.
    I posted the link on the TI-83 and TI-89 forums.
    Deleted within SECONDS! ;-)

  3. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    TI just restored my posts on the forums.
    Very odd that they would have disappeared for a few minutes.
    Oh well, I hope others get a chuckle out of the linke.

    Bob

  4. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    On Dec 16, 10:19 pm, "Bob Wang" wrote:
    > Fred Lusk posted this on the MOHPC forum.
    > I thought it was hilarious:
    >
    > Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83
    >
    > http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ti-83

    That article is almost too true, I remember in high school I had to
    play tutor for the teacher when kids had calculators other than the
    TI-83.

  5. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    velix wrote:
    > On Dec 16, 10:19 pm, "Bob Wang" wrote:
    >> Fred Lusk posted this on the MOHPC forum.
    >> I thought it was hilarious:
    >>
    >> Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83
    >>
    >> http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ti-83

    > That article is almost too true, I remember in high school I had to
    > play tutor for the teacher when kids had calculators other than the
    > TI-83.

    Also check out http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Calculator

    Cheers,

    Rich

  6. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    On 2007-12-17 15:23:14 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:

    > I guess TI doesn't have a sense of humor.
    > I posted the link on the TI-83 and TI-89 forums.
    > Deleted within SECONDS! ;-)

    I didn't find it funny either ...
    sounds like a 12 y.o posted that

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  7. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    A bit touchy aren't we ;-)

    I don't agree with your siggy, so we must have VASTLY different world views.

    Bob

    On 2007-12-17 15:23:14 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:

    > I guess TI doesn't have a sense of humor.
    > I posted the link on the TI-83 and TI-89 forums.
    > Deleted within SECONDS! ;-)

    I didn't find it funny either ...
    sounds like a 12 y.o posted that

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  8. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    On 2007-12-20 14:00:22 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:

    > I don't agree with your siggy, so we must have VASTLY different world views.

    I'm glad you have higher thoughts than Mr Franklin then

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  9. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    Yes, some of my thoughts ARE higher than Mr. Franklin ;-)

    IMHO, most users of that quote, and I don't intend to implicate you, pervert
    his original intent.

    Bob

    On 2007-12-20 14:00:22 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:

    > I don't agree with your siggy, so we must have VASTLY different world
    > views.

    I'm glad you have higher thoughts than Mr Franklin then

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  10. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    JYA:

    On second thought, let's just drop this whole discussion.
    This is not the appropriate forum for political debates.
    As I said previously, I don't think we see eye-to-eye on many issues.
    Any further discussion is prone to ugly devolution.

    Bob

    On 2007-12-20 14:00:22 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:

    > I don't agree with your siggy, so we must have VASTLY different world
    > views.

    I'm glad you have higher thoughts than Mr Franklin then

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  11. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    On Dec 22, 3:55*pm, "Bob Wang" wrote:
    > JYA:
    >
    > On second thought, let's just drop this whole discussion.
    > This is not the appropriate forum for political debates.
    > As I said previously, I don't think we see eye-to-eye on many issues.
    > Any further discussion is prone to ugly devolution.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "Bob Wang" wrote in message

    > Yes, some of my thoughts ARE higher than Mr. Franklin ;-)
    >
    > IMHO, most users of that quote, and I don't intend to implicate you, pervert
    > his original intent.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "JYA" wrote in message

    > On 2007-12-20 14:00:22 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:
    >

    > > I don't agree with your siggy, so we must have VASTLY different world
    > > views.

    > I'm glad you have higher thoughts than Mr Franklin then
    >
    > --
    > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    Good idea, better not antagonize the god of comp.sys.hp48 (hairs
    standing on neck due to impending lightning strike) who,
    while gracing all with his presence on 24Nov06 in a teary diatribe
    grandstanded with the following pronouncement:

    "Just a quick note so people do not expect an answer from me regarding
    HP calculators anymore.
    (Voracious snip)
    I just have better things to do."

    Hey Bob, better things must not have materialized, eh?

  12. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83

    As far as Gods go, I prefer the New Testament version ;-)

    Bob

    wrote in message
    On Dec 22, 3:55 pm, "Bob Wang" wrote:
    > JYA:
    >
    > On second thought, let's just drop this whole discussion.
    > This is not the appropriate forum for political debates.
    > As I said previously, I don't think we see eye-to-eye on many issues.
    > Any further discussion is prone to ugly devolution.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "Bob Wang" wrote in message

    > Yes, some of my thoughts ARE higher than Mr. Franklin ;-)
    >
    > IMHO, most users of that quote, and I don't intend to implicate you,
    > pervert
    > his original intent.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "JYA" wrote in message

    > On 2007-12-20 14:00:22 +1100, "Bob Wang" said:
    >

    > > I don't agree with your siggy, so we must have VASTLY different world
    > > views.

    > I'm glad you have higher thoughts than Mr Franklin then
    >
    > --
    > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    Good idea, better not antagonize the god of comp.sys.hp48 (hairs
    standing on neck due to impending lightning strike) who,
    while gracing all with his presence on 24Nov06 in a teary diatribe
    grandstanded with the following pronouncement:

    "Just a quick note so people do not expect an answer from me regarding
    HP calculators anymore.
    (Voracious snip)
    I just have better things to do."

    Hey Bob, better things must not have materialized, eh?

  13. Re: Uncyclopedia entry for the TI-83 [Benjamin Franklin, OT]

    The quotation was written as:

    > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    Slightly different (probably more authentic):
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty,
    to purchase a little temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/quotable/quote04.htm

    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin
    (this reference, which appears well researched,
    casts doubt, however, on Franklin's actual authorship)

    The above quote, whether Franklin's or someone else's,
    still appears to be on a lower plane than this one:

    "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's,
    and unto God the things that are God's"
    http://www.bartleby.com/59/3/renderuntoc2.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_unto_Caesar...

    The word "liberty" also seems to be on a lower plane
    than a similar word "liberation," which is used
    to describe a state of absolute freedom (of the soul)
    from all boundaries of material life, and could,
    if appreciated through experience, come to be recognized
    as a level of experience from which *all* religions originally sprouted,
    which gets distorted and lost when interpreted only through eyes
    which have never known any experience of its nature
    (see a later quote from Franklin).

    In the spiritual context, it has also been said that
    those who give up attaining liberation,
    in exchange for *anything*,
    are in a state of spiritual loss.

    It would be a most unifying thing for all people,
    if that common level of awareness were cultured in all people,
    rendering all differences and contentions moot.

    More quotes of Benjamin Franklin
    (from above-referenced Wikiquote page):

    "There never was a good war or a bad peace."
    [Letter to Josiah Quincy (1783-09-11)]

    "I've lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live,
    the more convincing Proofs I see of this Truth --
    That God governs in the Affairs of Men.
    And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his Notice,
    is it probable that an Empire can rise without his Aid?
    We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings,
    that except the Lord build the House they labor in vain who build it.
    I firmly believe this, -- and I also believe that without his concurring Aid,
    we shall succeed in this political Building no better than the Builders of Babel:
    We shall be divided by our little partial local interests;
    our Projects will be confounded,
    and we ourselves shall become a Reproach and Bye word down to future Ages."

    [Speech to the Constitutional Convention (1787-06-28)
    Manuscript notes by Franklin are preserved in the U. S. Library of Congress]

    "As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire,
    I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us,
    the best the world ever saw or is likely to see;
    but I apprehend it has received various corrupt changes,
    and I have, with most of the present Dissenters in England,
    some Doubts as to his divinity;
    tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it,
    and I think it needless to busy myself with it now,
    when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble."

    [As quoted in "Benjamin Franklin:
    An Exploration of a Life of Science and Service" (1938)
    by Carl Van Doren, p. 777]

    "He that would live in peace and at ease,
    Must not speak all he knows, nor judge all he sees."

    --

    Wishing silent nights and truly peaceful days to all.

+ Reply to Thread