HP-10s? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP-10s? - Hewlett Packard ; I was browsing Circuit City yesterday and saw something new in the calculator rack. It's a basic scientific calculator by HP. It has a 2-line display and is probably rebranded. http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...2214AA%2523ABA It was $14.99 and I did not buy one. ...

  1. HP-10s?

    I was browsing Circuit City yesterday and saw something new in the calculator rack.

    It's a basic scientific calculator by HP. It has a 2-line display and is probably
    rebranded.

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...2214AA%2523ABA

    It was $14.99 and I did not buy one.

    Cheers,

    Rich

  2. Re: HP-10s?

    On Dec 8, 7:40 am, Rich wrote:
    > I was browsing Circuit City yesterday and saw something new in the calculator rack.
    >
    > It's a basic scientific calculator by HP. It has a 2-line display and is probably
    > rebranded.
    >
    > http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...c/1/storefront...
    >
    > It was $14.99 and I did not buy one.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Rich

    Looks an awful lot like a Casio fx115.

    S.C.

  3. Re: HP-10s?

    sc_usenet@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Dec 8, 7:40 am, Rich wrote:
    >> I was browsing Circuit City yesterday and saw something new in the calculator rack.
    >>
    >> It's a basic scientific calculator by HP. It has a 2-line display and is probably
    >> rebranded.
    >>
    >> http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...c/1/storefront...
    >>
    >> It was $14.99 and I did not buy one.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Rich

    > Looks an awful lot like a Casio fx115.

    It could very well be, it looked familiar, but I did not bother to look further.

    When the kids get old enough, I'll probably start them on some $1 scientifics I
    found at the dollar store. They actually work. Their destruction seems pretty
    certain, but this is for familiarization. After that I'll get em some real
    calculators. There was no reasonable RPN replacement for my old HPs until just
    recently, but now it looks like the HP-35S will fit the bill. I'll open mine
    on Christmas. :-)

    > S.C.

    Cheers,

    Rich

  4. Re: HP-10s?

    Rich wrote:

    > I was browsing Circuit City yesterday and saw something new in the
    > calculator rack.
    >
    > It's a basic scientific calculator by HP. It has a 2-line display and is
    > probably
    > rebranded.
    >
    > http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...2214AA%2523ABA
    >
    > It was $14.99 and I did not buy one.

    I found myself back a the same store so this time and I bought one.

    Initial observations: the LCD contrast is very low and it's hard to read.
    The off button is not the on button and I did not even see it
    right away.

    There seems to be 1 memory, at least it's battery backed. There is no battery compartment,
    I'm not sure if we have a rechargeable battery or what. If so putting the cover on will
    assure it's not charged.

    I've not done much with it, but it does not look like a suitable replacement for my
    HP-15c at all.

    Cheers,

    Rich

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Rich

  5. Re: HP-10s?

    > I've not done much with it, but it does not look like a suitable replacement for my
    > HP-15c at all.

    Well, the 15c cost over $100 in the 1980's and now, 20 years later,
    the 10s costs $15. The 10s is more in line with those modern cheap
    scientifics from Casio and TI that cost under $20. The market has
    shifted because students don't need the complex functions and
    engineers use computers for heavy duty work.

    S.C.

  6. Re: HP-10s?

    Rich wrote about the HP 10s scientific calculator:
    > I've not done much with it, but it does not look like a suitable
    > replacement for my HP-15c at all.

    For $14.99, did you really think it would be?

  7. Re: HP-10s?

    Eric Smith wrote:
    > Rich wrote about the HP 10s scientific calculator:
    >> I've not done much with it, but it does not look like a suitable
    >> replacement for my HP-15c at all.

    > For $14.99, did you really think it would be?

    Technology has changed lots over the years, it has the potential
    to better (or at least equivalent). Compare the power of today's
    core duo with the 8088. LCD technology has also improved a lot,
    but the HP-15c has a better screen.

    Oh well, on Christmas I get to open my HP-35s, I do have higher
    expectations for it. :-)

    Cheers,

    Rich

  8. Re: HP-10s?

    At least the 10S does not have a key labelled "Enter". A key claiming
    to be an "Enter" key suckered me into buying a 9S which, it turns out,
    does not have RPN.

    For around $US10 all the capability of the 9S impressed me, and if it
    used RPN it would be terrific!

+ Reply to Thread