NX-7000 vs Hard Drive. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on NX-7000 vs Hard Drive. - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all I bought a Compaq NX-7000 in 2004. When I got it, the hard drive was making strange popping noises, so I had it swapped out for another hard drive. Just before the warranty ran out (luckily), that hard ...

  1. NX-7000 vs Hard Drive.

    Hi all

    I bought a Compaq NX-7000 in 2004. When I got it, the hard drive was
    making strange popping noises, so I had it swapped out for another
    hard drive. Just before the warranty ran out (luckily), that hard
    drive failed. The next one didn't last a year. Now the fourth hard
    drive in three years has just died.

    This laptop does not get any abuse. For the most part, it sits on the
    desk. I've tried different brands of hard drives, so it's not the
    manufacturer. Is there anything inherent in a laptop that could cause
    hard drives to fail? Or do I just have bad luck with hard drives?
    Who makes a reliable, inexpensive (40GB-ish) hard drive?

    Thanks
    Dan

  2. Re: NX-7000 vs Hard Drive.

    Dan,

    In my experience, Fujitsu 2.5" IDE drives are the best, followed by Seagate.
    Hitachi runs a distant third, and none of the others merit consideration. The
    booby prize seems to go to Toshiba. Some Toshiba brand laptops use other
    brands of hard drives.

    Fujitsu and Seagate notebook drives are pricey, but worth it, IMHO. A reliable,
    inexpensive drive is an oxymoron... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 06:31:34 -0800 (PST), DanG wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I bought a Compaq NX-7000 in 2004. When I got it, the hard drive was
    >making strange popping noises, so I had it swapped out for another
    >hard drive. Just before the warranty ran out (luckily), that hard
    >drive failed. The next one didn't last a year. Now the fourth hard
    >drive in three years has just died.
    >
    >This laptop does not get any abuse. For the most part, it sits on the
    >desk. I've tried different brands of hard drives, so it's not the
    >manufacturer. Is there anything inherent in a laptop that could cause
    >hard drives to fail? Or do I just have bad luck with hard drives?
    >Who makes a reliable, inexpensive (40GB-ish) hard drive?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Dan

  3. Re: NX-7000 vs Hard Drive.

    Thanks for the input, Ben.

    I think it came with a Toshiba, and was replaced with the same. I
    forget the third. The current one might be a Sanyo (?). Haven't
    looked recently.

    I'll look into your suggested brands. I'd be willing to pay a bit
    extra to not have to reinstall once a year. But I also don't want to
    pay a lot just to have the next one die, too.

    Cheers
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread