Uploading programs to 50g - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Uploading programs to 50g - Hewlett Packard ; I have had my HP50G since last christmas, I've tried to learn all of its powerful features, lately I've been wanting to upload programs I'm finding. One is to calculate the distance/bearing between two cities using Lat/ Longs. I have ...

  1. Uploading programs to 50g

    I have had my HP50G since last christmas, I've tried to learn all of
    its powerful features,
    lately I've been wanting to upload programs I'm finding.
    One is to calculate the distance/bearing between two cities using Lat/
    Longs.

    I have the connectivitykit software installed.
    I know about the Xserv() thing.

    My question is learning how best to go about uploading this ASCII file
    to the 50g.
    There really isn't walk-through with the help in the
    connectivitykit... just a brief intro.

    Can I find an actual rundown of uploading a program, ASCII file in RPN
    format,
    to the proper folder, transfering it to the stack and running it?
    Storing it for future use in the calculator, etc.

    I honestly think, in some ways, that the USB connection to TI89's is a
    bit more
    intuitive for the user. The 50g requires a bit more knowledge to
    accomplish the same
    tasks; but is probably more flexible too.

    Thanks!

    RadSurfer .at. yahoo.com

  2. Re: Uploading programs to 50g

    On Dec 2, 3:19 pm, RadSurfer wrote:
    > I have had my HP50G since last christmas, I've tried to learn all of
    > its powerful features,
    > lately I've been wanting to upload programs I'm finding.
    > One is to calculate the distance/bearing between two cities using Lat/
    > Longs.
    >
    > I have the connectivitykit software installed.
    > I know about the Xserv() thing.
    >
    > My question is learning how best to go about uploading this ASCII file
    > to the 50g.
    > There really isn't walk-through with the help in the
    > connectivitykit... just a brief intro.
    >
    > Can I find an actual rundown of uploading a program, ASCII file in RPN
    > format,
    > to the proper folder, transfering it to the stack and running it?
    > Storing it for future use in the calculator, etc.
    >
    > I honestly think, in some ways, that the USB connection to TI89's is a
    > bit more
    > intuitive for the user. The 50g requires a bit more knowledge to
    > accomplish the same
    > tasks; but is probably more flexible too.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > RadSurfer .at. yahoo.com

    Looks like a fun program to write yourself. It took me less than a
    minute to find a lat/long to distance program at
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm. Here it is:

    =RadiusEarth*ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90-(Lat1*24)))*COS(RADIANS(90-(Lat2*24)))
    +
    SIN(RADIANS(90-(Lat1*24)))*SIN(RADIANS(90-(Lat2*24)))*
    COS(RADIANS(24*(Long1-Long2))))

    where:
    Lat1 is the latitude of point 1, entered as DD:MM:SS.
    Long1 is the longitude of point 1, entered as DD:MM:SS.
    Lat2 is the latitude of point 2, entered as DD:MM:SS.
    Long2 is the longitude of point 2, entered as DD:MM:SS.
    RadiusEarth is the radius of the earth in nautical miles (3443.917 nm
    or 6378.135 kilometers)

    Good luck!

  3. Re: Uploading programs to 50g

    On 2 dic, 17:19, RadSurfer wrote:
    > I have had my HP50G since last christmas, I've tried to learn all of
    > its powerful features,
    > lately I've been wanting to upload programs I'm finding.
    > One is to calculate the distance/bearing between two cities using Lat/
    > Longs.
    >
    > I have the connectivitykit software installed.
    > I know about the Xserv() thing.
    >
    > My question is learning how best to go about uploading this ASCII file
    > to the 50g.
    > There really isn't walk-through with the help in the
    > connectivitykit... just a brief intro.

    Buy a cheap USB-SD card adapter for your PC, download programs to SD,
    then upload programs to HP50g through SD card. Easier, faster.

    I had problems with USB connectivity software on HP50gs CD-ROM, hence
    never used USB cable for data, only as energy source for the calc
    sometimes

  4. Re: Uploading programs to 50g

    On Dec 2, 3:19 pm, RadSurfer wrote:
    > I have had my HP50G since last christmas, I've tried to learn all of
    > its powerful features,
    > lately I've been wanting to upload programs I'm finding.
    > One is to calculate the distance/bearing between two cities using Lat/
    > Longs.
    >
    > I have the connectivitykit software installed.
    > I know about the Xserv() thing.
    >
    > My question is learning how best to go about uploading this ASCII file
    > to the 50g.
    > There really isn't walk-through with the help in the
    > connectivitykit... just a brief intro.
    >
    > Can I find an actual rundown of uploading a program, ASCII file in RPN
    > format,
    > to the proper folder, transfering it to the stack and running it?
    > Storing it for future use in the calculator, etc.
    >
    > I honestly think, in some ways, that the USB connection to TI89's is a
    > bit more
    > intuitive for the user. The 50g requires a bit more knowledge to
    > accomplish the same
    > tasks; but is probably more flexible too.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > RadSurfer .at. yahoo.com

    I use Conn4x (on the CD that comes with the calculator) to transfer
    things, because for some reason, my 50g does not like the SD card that
    I have. I bought my 50g in January 2007 and it came with Conn4x 2.3
    Build 2434. I have yet to have a problem with it.

    Open Conn4x, start Xmodem Server (RS right arrow), and click the
    leftmost button at the top of the Conn4x window (when you hover your
    mouse over it, the text at the bottom of the window should say "Quick
    connect to the calculator."). Then it will show all of the files and
    directories in the current HOME folder. The rightmost button at the
    top of the Conn4x window (two to the right of the button you clicked
    to connect) toggles between BINARY and ASCII transfer. If you have a
    text file (ASCII) in RPL, you'll want to switch to ASCII transfer mode
    before dragging the file into the Conn4x window. If you're transfering
    a file like xxxxxx.hp then that is a binary executable and should be
    transferred in BINARY mode.

    It's pretty easy to tell what mode you're in because in BINARY mode,
    the toggle button shows "010101" and in ASCII mode it shows "ABCD".

    To get out of Xmodem, press the ON (cancel) button on the calculator.
    The computer automatically disconnects. The transferred file will be
    on stack level 1 on the calculator. Type in the name you would like to
    save it as and press the STO-> key. It can now be found among other
    things in the HOME folder; to access this quickly, press the VAR key
    and it will bring up the first six entries in the current HOME folder
    in the soft keys. Presumably, since you just transferred this file, it
    will occupy the leftmost softkey (F1) and everything else will be
    pushed to the right.

    To run the program, type in the arguments into the stack and then
    navigate to the program using the VAR key (as mentioned above). Then a
    single keypress will execute the program.

    S.C.

  5. Re: Uploading programs to 50g

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:23:50 -0600:

    > Buy a cheap USB-SD card adapter for your PC

    If the PC doesn't already have "media" slots...

    > download programs to SD,
    > then upload programs to HP50g through SD card. Easier, faster.

    "Ascii" (UserRPL text) programs need a little help,
    which can be permanently loaded into the calculator;
    the following contains one simple, small program for importing,
    followed by a larger, general system, that can itself
    be imported by the very first small program:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....7ed90b3cf11c42

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread