Is the 50g the end of the line for advanced calculators? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Is the 50g the end of the line for advanced calculators? - Hewlett Packard ; "John H Meyers" wrote in message news p.t2t372njnn735j@miu.edu... On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:04:14 -0600: >[snip] Remembering what HP set out to do, as its goal for this series: >"The HP 48 calculator was designed to be a customizable mathematical ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: Is the 50g the end of the line for advanced calculators?

    "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    newsp.t2t372njnn735j@miu.edu...
    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:04:14 -0600:

    >[snip] Remembering what HP set out to do,

    as its goal for this series:

    >"The HP 48 calculator was designed to be

    a customizable mathematical scratchpad
    for use by students and professionals in technical fields."

    >IMO, the goal was well met.

    Absolutely right! As former student and now a practicing professional, I
    have always found the 48 and 49 (and now the 50) series with User RPL and
    other features to always have been incredibly useful in my work. Also, I
    have learned so much from this user community that I could not imagine
    finding anything quite comparable elsewhere.

    Greg

  2. Re: Is the 50g the end of the line for advanced calculators?

    wrote in message
    > On Dec 7, 11:26 pm, A.L. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:13:54 -0800 (PST), rdj wrote:
    >> >And oh, please god! Do not waste the utility and precious resources of
    >> >our devices by bolting bags on the side such as playing music (or
    >> >movies) or adding spreadsheets or PIM functions as built-in
    >> >capabilities.

    >> Too late.... TI has spreadsheet and PIM, Casio has spreadsheet...

    MXeval for HP
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6516
    I store the "spreadsheets in variables
    and then recall them to stack for evaluation
    although I usually write a small wrapper for input GUI

    >> A.L.

    > IMHO, a spreadsheet on a calculator is useless. The limited screen
    > space of a handheld calculator allows you to see only about 4x5 cells,
    > depending on the size of the text. Why not use something like Excel
    > for that, which has hundreds of formulas to boot?
    >
    > If you need a spreadsheet, then use a computer, not a calculator. I
    > had a TI-89 Titanium (no longer) and it had the spreadsheet and
    > calendar. I never used either of those features because they were so
    > limiting.
    >
    > To be honest, I am probably most satisfied by the Casio fx-260 that I
    > bought for $9 several years ago. It is a basic one-line scientific
    > that does everything that I don't want to turn on a computer for.
    > Being a one-line display, it also forces the user to think a bit more
    > rather than just dumping the whole equation onto the calculator. This
    > is good because it keeps your brain in check.
    >
    > I don't know what PIM stands for (is it some messenging program?) but
    > it sure doesn't sound like it belongs on a calculator.

    PIM = Personal Information Manager
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/apps/pims/

  3. Re: Is the 50g the end of the line for advanced calculators?

    "manjo" wrote in message
    > On the other hand HP50G can be considered more of a computer, less
    > calculator.
    > Limited to stay in calculator department, on the edge with PDA
    > just enough not to be banned from schools and importand exams.

    a new PDA style calculator like Qonos (using Linux)
    or perhaps use Nokia N810 Internet Tablet (using Linux)
    or a brand new HP X-1 (using Linux)
    which could use Parisse Xcas/Giac
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcas
    http://www.hpcc.org/datafile/V21N4/giac.html
    http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html
    and RPL/2
    http://www.systella.fr/~bertrand/rpl2/english.html
    http://www.systella.fr/~bertrand/rpl.../download.html
    using a 256KB RAM/256KB ROM PDA
    Forget the Qonos Xpensive 512MB Static CMOS RAM
    Use Dynamic RAM and High speed + Lion Batteries
    Get more power from USB and recharge it from your PC

    By integrating all this into a new PDA: HP X-1
    one can have a bigger screen than just a calc,
    far more speed and RAM
    Naturally PIM, spreadsheet, whatever Linux apps you need

    The professional model HP X-1+
    has integrated a 8GB Flash
    so that you have full Linux source with you
    and still have both SDHC slots free

    more fiction..err..Vision! later...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3