Calling Web Services - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Calling Web Services - Hewlett Packard ; I have been asked the following question - "You will only be calling a webservice from the 3000 with some XML data. Ideally when an order status has changed. The desired frequency will be realtime, but im sure we will ...

  1. Calling Web Services

    I have been asked the following question -
    "You will only be calling a webservice from the 3000 with some XML data.
    Ideally when an order status has changed. The desired frequency will be
    realtime, but im sure we will have to make some room for queuing these updates.
    The webservice on our end will be transparent to you. Our webservice will
    update the SQL server. All you need to focus on is being able to call a
    webservice from the 3000 passing some XML into it.".

    How would one go about this?

  2. Re: Calling Web Services

    On Nov 27, 2007 3:57 AM, Ian Warner wrote:
    > I have been asked the following question -
    > "You will only be calling a webservice from the 3000 with some XML data.
    > Ideally when an order status has changed. The desired frequency will be
    > realtime, but im sure we will have to make some room for queuing these updates.
    > The webservice on our end will be transparent to you. Our webservice will
    > update the SQL server. All you need to focus on is being able to call a
    > webservice from the 3000 passing some XML into it.".
    >
    > How would one go about this?

    1) call mb foster

    - d

  3. Re: Calling Web Services

    >From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@raven.utc.edu] On
    Behalf Of Ian Warner
    >webservice will update the SQL server. All you need to focus on is

    being able to call a webservice from the 3000 passing some XML into
    it.".
    >How would one go about this?

    I think you could just open a socket and send a POST.

    An example is given at http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/http/ "The POST
    Method"

  4. Re: Calling Web Services

    Mark Wonsil wrote:

    >Hello Ian,
    >

    >>I have been asked the following question -
    >>"You will only be calling a webservice from the 3000 with some XML data.
    >>Ideally when an order status has changed. The desired frequency will be
    >>realtime, but im sure we will have to make some room for queuing these
    >>updates.
    >>The webservice on our end will be transparent to you. Our webservice will
    >>update the SQL server. All you need to focus on is being able to call a
    >>webservice from the 3000 passing some XML into it.".
    >>
    >>How would one go about this?
    >>

    >We'll need more detail from you on this. What programming language are you
    >using? What version of MPE on you on? How often will you send order status
    >changes?
    >
    >Mark W.

    MPE 6.5, We will be using COBOL and sending status changes will peak at
    about 1 a second.
    Is there a tutorial and/or examples of Socket programming in COBOL I can
    examine, It seems that
    (as per Dave Waroff) the easiest way is to open a socket and do a POST.

    ps Is the jazz website down?

    Ian Warner

  5. Re: Calling Web Services

    Ian Warner wrote:
    > Mark Wonsil wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Ian,
    >>

    >>> I have been asked the following question -
    >>> "You will only be calling a webservice from the 3000 with some XML data.
    >>> Ideally when an order status has changed. The desired frequency will be
    >>> realtime, but im sure we will have to make some room for queuing these
    >>> updates.
    >>> The webservice on our end will be transparent to you. Our webservice
    >>> will
    >>> update the SQL server. All you need to focus on is being able to call a
    >>> webservice from the 3000 passing some XML into it.".
    >>>
    >>> How would one go about this?
    >>>

    >> We'll need more detail from you on this. What programming language are
    >> you
    >> using? What version of MPE on you on? How often will you send order
    >> status
    >> changes?
    >>
    >> Mark W.
    >>

    > MPE 6.5, We will be using COBOL and sending status changes will peak at
    > about 1 a second.
    > Is there a tutorial and/or examples of Socket programming in COBOL I can
    > examine, It seems that
    > (as per Dave Waroff) the easiest way is to open a socket and do a POST.

    On our web site we have COBOL examples of sockets programming. There is
    a set of COBOL callable routines in an NMOBJ file that can be linked
    directly into your programs or placed in an XL. Client and server
    (listener) examples are included. These routines are using Berkeley
    sockets rather than NetIPC sockets.

    Go to http://www.beechglen.com/mpe/downloads.html and find sockets.std.

    The callable routines work best for fixed-length socket reads. This is
    most efficient when you are writing both the client and the server and
    have complete control over both. It sounds like you will interfacing
    with a Web server and sending HTTP POST commands with embedded XML and
    can't control the amount of data returned. I have found that putting the
    "variable read" logic in the COBOL source by calling one-byte socket
    reads within a loop is a good alternative. It costs a few extra CPU
    cycles but typically the socket code is a very small portion of the
    overall program logic in this type of application and you won't even
    notice it.

    HTH.

    Doug.
    --
    Doug Werth doug@beechglen.com Beechglen Development Inc.
    Director of Technical Support Services Cincinnati, Ohio