DV4150US NMI Parity error system crash - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DV4150US NMI Parity error system crash - Hewlett Packard ; I have an HP DV4150US with an intermittent NMI memory parity error. Several months ago I upgraded the memory adding a 1GB memory stick from PNY. All was fine for quite some time until the NMI problem cropped up. I ...

  1. DV4150US NMI Parity error system crash

    I have an HP DV4150US with an intermittent NMI memory parity error.
    Several months ago I upgraded the memory adding a 1GB memory stick from
    PNY. All was fine for quite some time until the NMI problem cropped up.
    I pulled the 1GB, and sent back to the vendor under warranty, and PNY
    replaced it. In the interim, I purchased a new 1GB PNY stick, and
    installed it. The problem continues with any combination of PNY
    installed... Is the PNY mem junk, do I have the wrong type, even though
    I installed the specified type?

    Any assistance is appreciated!

    Bob

  2. Re: DV4150US NMI Parity error system crash

    calcat wrote:

    > I have an HP DV4150US with an intermittent NMI memory parity error.
    > Several months ago I upgraded the memory adding a 1GB memory stick from
    > PNY. All was fine for quite some time until the NMI problem cropped up.
    > I pulled the 1GB, and sent back to the vendor under warranty, and PNY
    > replaced it. In the interim, I purchased a new 1GB PNY stick, and
    > installed it. The problem continues with any combination of PNY
    > installed... Is the PNY mem junk, do I have the wrong type, even though
    > I installed the specified type?
    >
    > Any assistance is appreciated!
    >
    > Bob

    it's possible it's all junk memory.

    I'd do a few things.

    - take out the new memory,
    - update your laptop's BIOS to the latest version from HP.

    Does that help?

    if not,

    - burn this memory test CD http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    use the bootable ISO version.

    Boot off the CD and let it run for overnight or for a day. Do you see any
    errors? You may not, even with bad memory, but if you see anything wrong,
    get rid of that new memory.

    I stick with memory from crucial.com. It's not the cheapest stuff, but
    it's not garbage stuff that's been rebranded 3 times over.

+ Reply to Thread