LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts - Hewlett Packard ; I hav an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference and if it is recommended I changed? Also, before ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    I hav an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

    Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

    I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

    Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

  2. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Which operating system is running on your "new" system? Which operating system
    was running on your "old" system? If the old system is still running and both
    systems run a version of Windows, you can copy the Line_Printer font from the
    fonts folder of the old system to the fonts folder in the new system. As an
    alternative, there are plenty of free collections of Windows fonts that include
    a font similar to Line_Printer. How many points is/was the Line_Printer font?
    Can't you simply Select All, then change the Courier New to a much smaller point
    size to achieve the same 89-page result?

    According to some information I've seen, the PCL6 driver includes the
    Line_Printer font... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:01:56 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >I have an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    >used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    >is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?
    >
    >Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    >work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    >font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.
    >
    >I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    >Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me how to correct this?
    >
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

  3. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    On Nov 23, 7:54 pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Which operating system is running on your "new" system? Which operating system
    > was running on your "old" system?

    WIndowsMe was on my "old" system. And Windows XP is on my "new"
    system.

    > If the old system is still running and both
    > systems run a version of Windows, you can copy the Line_Printer font from the
    > fonts folder of the old system to the fonts folder in the new system.

    I'd need to find a site that explains howto do this step-by-step.

    > As an
    > alternative, there are plenty of free collections of Windows fonts that include
    > a font similar to Line_Printer. How many points is/was the Line_Printer font?
    > Can't you simply Select All, then change the Courier New to a much smaller point
    > size to achieve the same 89-page result?

    I know nothing about fonts. I just noticed that with the
    "Line_Printer" font made the text in the document line up exactly the
    way it is supposed to, and also it would have allowed me to print out
    the document on the lowest number of pages.

    > According to some information I've seen, the PCL6 driver includes the
    > Line_Printer font... Ben Myers

    I just noticed that the "HP LaserJet 2100" and "HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6"
    icons are in "Printers and Faxes". I have no idea how "HP LaserJet
    2100 PCL6" got there since I only installed the "HP LaserJet 2100"
    driver. ???

    The WordPad document is at the moment using the Lucida Console font,
    because that is the smallest(text accurate) font I have available to
    me.

    I don't know how Lucida Console compares to "Line_Printer" which I
    still don't have, and I am still unable to figure out how to activate
    WordPad's page number function so I can see how many pages it is in
    that particular font.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:01:56 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    > >used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    > >is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

    > >Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    > >work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    > >font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

    > >I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    > >Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

    > >Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

    > >Thanks a lot.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

  4. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
    Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
    copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

    Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
    the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >On Nov 23, 7:54 pm, Ben Myers
    >wrote:
    >> Which operating system is running on your "new" system? Which operating system
    >> was running on your "old" system?

    >WIndowsMe was on my "old" system. And Windows XP is on my "new"
    >system.
    >
    >> If the old system is still running and both
    >> systems run a version of Windows, you can copy the Line_Printer font from the
    >> fonts folder of the old system to the fonts folder in the new system.

    >I'd need to find a site that explains howto do this step-by-step.
    >
    >> As an
    >> alternative, there are plenty of free collections of Windows fonts that include
    >> a font similar to Line_Printer. How many points is/was the Line_Printer font?
    >> Can't you simply Select All, then change the Courier New to a much smaller point
    >> size to achieve the same 89-page result?

    >I know nothing about fonts. I just noticed that with the
    >"Line_Printer" font made the text in the document line up exactly the
    >way it is supposed to, and also it would have allowed me to print out
    >the document on the lowest number of pages.
    >
    >> According to some information I've seen, the PCL6 driver includes the
    >> Line_Printer font... Ben Myers

    >I just noticed that the "HP LaserJet 2100" and "HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6"
    >icons are in "Printers and Faxes". I have no idea how "HP LaserJet
    >2100 PCL6" got there since I only installed the "HP LaserJet 2100"
    >driver. ???
    >
    >The WordPad document is at the moment using the Lucida Console font,
    >because that is the smallest(text accurate) font I have available to
    >me.
    >
    >I don't know how Lucida Console compares to "Line_Printer" which I
    >still don't have, and I am still unable to figure out how to activate
    >WordPad's page number function so I can see how many pages it is in
    >that particular font.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.
    >
    >> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:01:56 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I have an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    >> >used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    >> >is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

    >> >Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    >> >work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    >> >font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

    >> >I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    >> >Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

    >> >Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

    >> >Thanks a lot.

    >> >Darren Harris
    >> >Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

  5. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
    no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

    Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
    ************************************************** **********************************************
    On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
    > Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
    > copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.
    >
    > Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
    > the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Nov 23, 7:54 pm, Ben Myers
    > >wrote:
    > >> Which operating system is running on your "new" system? Which operating system
    > >> was running on your "old" system?

    > >WIndowsMe was on my "old" system. And Windows XP is on my "new"
    > >system.

    > >> If the old system is still running and both
    > >> systems run a version of Windows, you can copy the Line_Printer font from the
    > >> fonts folder of the old system to the fonts folder in the new system.

    > >I'd need to find a site that explains howto do this step-by-step.

    > >> As an
    > >> alternative, there are plenty of free collections of Windows fonts that include
    > >> a font similar to Line_Printer. How many points is/was the Line_Printer font?
    > >> Can't you simply Select All, then change the Courier New to a much smaller point
    > >> size to achieve the same 89-page result?

    > >I know nothing about fonts. I just noticed that with the
    > >"Line_Printer" font made the text in the document line up exactly the
    > >way it is supposed to, and also it would have allowed me to print out
    > >the document on the lowest number of pages.

    > >> According to some information I've seen, the PCL6 driver includes the
    > >> Line_Printer font... Ben Myers

    > >I just noticed that the "HP LaserJet 2100" and "HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6"
    > >icons are in "Printers and Faxes". I have no idea how "HP LaserJet
    > >2100 PCL6" got there since I only installed the "HP LaserJet 2100"
    > >driver. ???

    > >The WordPad document is at the moment using the Lucida Console font,
    > >because that is the smallest(text accurate) font I have available to
    > >me.

    > >I don't know how Lucida Console compares to "Line_Printer" which I
    > >still don't have, and I am still unable to figure out how to activate
    > >WordPad's page number function so I can see how many pages it is in
    > >that particular font.

    > >Thanks.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York.

  6. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little unusual,
    been there since Windows 3.1.

    As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for EXACTLY
    the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note that
    LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching for files.
    The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g. Line_Printer.ttf .
    If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer somehow, your best alternative
    is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable down to
    very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

    To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any other
    text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font with, say, an 8
    point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the spacing
    using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:24:10 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
    >no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.
    >
    >Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.
    >************************************************** **********************************************
    >On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
    >wrote:
    >> Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
    >> Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
    >> copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.
    >>
    >> Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
    >> the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    >> wrote:

    >> >WIndowsMe was on my "old" system. And Windows XP is on my "new"
    >> >system.

    >> >I'd need to find a site that explains howto do this step-by-step.

    >> >I know nothing about fonts. I just noticed that with the
    >> >"Line_Printer" font made the text in the document line up exactly the
    >> >way it is supposed to, and also it would have allowed me to print out
    >> >the document on the lowest number of pages.

    >> >I just noticed that the "HP LaserJet 2100" and "HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6"
    >> >icons are in "Printers and Faxes". I have no idea how "HP LaserJet
    >> >2100 PCL6" got there since I only installed the "HP LaserJet 2100"
    >> >driver. ???

    >> >The WordPad document is at the moment using the Lucida Console font,
    >> >because that is the smallest(text accurate) font I have available to
    >> >me.

    >> >I don't know how Lucida Console compares to "Line_Printer" which I
    >> >still don't have, and I am still unable to figure out how to activate
    >> >WordPad's page number function so I can see how many pages it is in
    >> >that particular font.

    >> >Thanks.

    >> >Darren Harris
    >> >Staten Island, New York.

  7. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Try this URL for hundreds of free fonts. Perhaps one of them will match up
    what you want to do. You can download them and save directly into the Windows
    Fonts folder, or save them elsewhere and install them.

    http://fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file...0/default.html

    wrote:

    >I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
    >no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.
    >
    >Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.
    >************************************************** **********************************************
    >On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
    >wrote:
    >> Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
    >> Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
    >> copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.
    >>
    >> Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
    >> the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    >> wrote:

    >> >WIndowsMe was on my "old" system. And Windows XP is on my "new"
    >> >system.

    >> >I'd need to find a site that explains howto do this step-by-step.

    >> >I know nothing about fonts. I just noticed that with the
    >> >"Line_Printer" font made the text in the document line up exactly the
    >> >way it is supposed to, and also it would have allowed me to print out
    >> >the document on the lowest number of pages.

    >> >I just noticed that the "HP LaserJet 2100" and "HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6"
    >> >icons are in "Printers and Faxes". I have no idea how "HP LaserJet
    >> >2100 PCL6" got there since I only installed the "HP LaserJet 2100"
    >> >driver. ???

    >> >The WordPad document is at the moment using the Lucida Console font,
    >> >because that is the smallest(text accurate) font I have available to
    >> >me.

    >> >I don't know how Lucida Console compares to "Line_Printer" which I
    >> >still don't have, and I am still unable to figure out how to activate
    >> >WordPad's page number function so I can see how many pages it is in
    >> >that particular font.

    >> >Thanks.

    >> >Darren Harris
    >> >Staten Island, New York.

  8. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    On Nov 24, 9:04 pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little unusual,
    > been there since Windows 3.1.
    >
    > As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for EXACTLY
    > the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note that
    > LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching for files.
    > The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g. Line_Printer.ttf .
    > If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer somehow, your best alternative
    > is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable down to
    > very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

    "LinePrinter" is the exact term. But I get no hits with just that
    term, so I put "LinePrinter* *".

    > To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any other
    > text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font with, say, an 8
    > point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the spacing
    > using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

    I already know that Courier New doesn't shrink the text down as small
    as LinePrinter on my WindowsME system.

    The reason I want LinePrinter is because it allowed the smallest text
    of all the fonts available on my old WindowsMe system.

    On my new Windows XP system Lucida Console is the best, but I don't
    think it shrinks things down as much as LinePrinter.

    Another issue is that on my XP system I cannot determine how many
    pages a document is in WordPad *before* I print it out. When I open
    the document the little notations show which page I'm looking at do
    not pop up when using the vertical slider. So that is another problem
    I have to solve.

    Anyway, what I need to print out is here: http://marp.retrogames.com/

    At the end of the alphabet along the top there is a "1st" link. I need
    to print out the scoring list there, and do it using a minimum number
    of sheets of paper.

    No too small to read, and the text has to line up the same way it is
    displayed at the site.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:24:10 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
    > >no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

    > >Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.

    > >Thanks.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York.
    > >************************************************** ************************-**********************
    > >On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
    > >wrote:
    > >> Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
    > >> Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
    > >> copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

    > >> Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
    > >> the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

  9. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Maybe WordPad is not the best choice, because it has no Print Preview? Can you
    use Word or OpenOffice Writer?

    The search argument for the LinePrinter font would be "LinePrinter*.*" Note
    the period between the two asterisks. You might also try "LinePrinter.ttf",
    which would be successful if the font was of the TrueType flavor.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:14:01 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >On Nov 24, 9:04 pm, Ben Myers
    >wrote:
    >> There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little unusual,
    >> been there since Windows 3.1.
    >>
    >> As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for EXACTLY
    >> the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note that
    >> LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching for files.
    >> The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g. Line_Printer.ttf .
    >> If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer somehow, your best alternative
    >> is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable down to
    >> very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

    >"LinePrinter" is the exact term. But I get no hits with just that
    >term, so I put "LinePrinter* *".
    >
    >> To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any other
    >> text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font with, say, an 8
    >> point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the spacing
    >> using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

    >I already know that Courier New doesn't shrink the text down as small
    >as LinePrinter on my WindowsME system.
    >
    >The reason I want LinePrinter is because it allowed the smallest text
    >of all the fonts available on my old WindowsMe system.
    >
    >On my new Windows XP system Lucida Console is the best, but I don't
    >think it shrinks things down as much as LinePrinter.
    >
    >Another issue is that on my XP system I cannot determine how many
    >pages a document is in WordPad *before* I print it out. When I open
    >the document the little notations show which page I'm looking at do
    >not pop up when using the vertical slider. So that is another problem
    >I have to solve.
    >
    >Anyway, what I need to print out is here: http://marp.retrogames.com/
    >
    >At the end of the alphabet along the top there is a "1st" link. I need
    >to print out the scoring list there, and do it using a minimum number
    >of sheets of paper.
    >
    >No too small to read, and the text has to line up the same way it is
    >displayed at the site.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.
    >

    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:24:10 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
    >> >no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

    >> >Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.

    >> >Thanks.

    >> >Darren Harris
    >> >Staten Island, New York.
    >> >************************************************** ************************-**********************

  10. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Searcher7 wrote:

    > On Nov 24, 9:04 pm, Ben Myers
    > wrote:
    >> There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little
    >> unusual, been there since Windows 3.1.

    Switch to Classic mode on XP's control panel and you should be able to find
    fonts.

    >> As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for
    >> EXACTLY
    >> the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note
    >> that LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching
    >> for files. The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g.
    >> Line_Printer.ttf . If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer
    >> somehow, your best alternative
    >> is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable
    >> down to very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

    > "LinePrinter" is the exact term. But I get no hits with just that
    > term, so I put "LinePrinter* *".
    >
    >> To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any
    >> other text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font
    >> with, say, an 8
    >> point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the
    >> spacing using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

    Line printer font is 8.5 point and 16.67 chars/inch. To print the tables you
    want, you need to make sure you use a fixed pitch font.

    > I already know that Courier New doesn't shrink the text down as small
    > as LinePrinter on my WindowsME system.
    >
    > The reason I want LinePrinter is because it allowed the smallest text
    > of all the fonts available on my old WindowsMe system.
    >
    > On my new Windows XP system Lucida Console is the best, but I don't
    > think it shrinks things down as much as LinePrinter.
    >
    > Another issue is that on my XP system I cannot determine how many
    > pages a document is in WordPad *before* I print it out. When I open
    > the document the little notations show which page I'm looking at do
    > not pop up when using the vertical slider. So that is another problem
    > I have to solve.

    If you know how many lines are in the file and how many lines per page get
    printed, the math is simple.

    > Anyway, what I need to print out is here: http://marp.retrogames.com/
    >
    > At the end of the alphabet along the top there is a "1st" link. I need
    > to print out the scoring list there, and do it using a minimum number
    > of sheets of paper.
    >
    > No too small to read, and the text has to line up the same way it is
    > displayed at the site.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    If you go to the HP website, you can find the User Guide for the printer. It
    tells how to print the pcl font list. Print the list, it may tell you the
    escape sequence to switch the printer to line printer font. Send that
    sequence to the printer. Then you can probably copy the file to the
    printer.

    Or, you can add the escape sequence to the beginning of the file to be
    printed.

    Consider using notepad rather than wordpad. You clearly don't want any
    formatting to be done.

  11. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    On Nov 25, 9:05 am, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Maybe WordPad is not the best choice, because it has no Print Preview? Can you
    > use Word or OpenOffice Writer?

    I have no idea what they are.

    > The search argument for the LinePrinter font would be "LinePrinter*.*" Note
    > the period between the two asterisks.

    That brings up nothing. I only get hits without the period.

    You might also try "LinePrinter.ttf",
    > which would be successful if the font was of the TrueType flavor.

    I've switch my keyboard mouse and monitor acbles between these two
    machines about 20 times today alone.

    Maybe I should call it quits.

    Darren Harris"
    Staten Island, New York.

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:14:01 -0800 (PST),Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Nov 24, 9:04 pm, Ben Myers
    > >wrote:
    > >> There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little unusual,
    > >> been there since Windows 3.1.

    > >> As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for EXACTLY
    > >> the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note that
    > >> LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching for files.
    > >> The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g. Line_Printer.ttf .
    > >> If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer somehow, your best alternative
    > >> is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable down to
    > >> very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

    > >"LinePrinter" is the exact term. But I get no hits with just that
    > >term, so I put "LinePrinter* *".

    > >> To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any other
    > >> text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font with, say, an 8
    > >> point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the spacing
    > >> using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

    > >I already know that Courier New doesn't shrink the text down as small
    > >as LinePrinter on my WindowsME system.

    > >The reason I want LinePrinter is because it allowed the smallest text
    > >of all the fonts available on my old WindowsMe system.

    > >On my new Windows XP system Lucida Console is the best, but I don't
    > >think it shrinks things down as much as LinePrinter.

    > >Another issue is that on my XP system I cannot determine how many
    > >pages a document is in WordPad *before* I print it out. When I open
    > >the document the little notations show which page I'm looking at do
    > >not pop up when using the vertical slider. So that is another problem
    > >I have to solve.

    > >Anyway, what I need to print out is here:http://marp.retrogames.com/

    > >At the end of the alphabet along the top there is a "1st" link. I need
    > >to print out the scoring list there, and do it using a minimum number
    > >of sheets of paper.

    > >No too small to read, and the text has to line up the same way it is
    > >displayed at the site.

    > >Thanks.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York.

    > >> ... Ben Myers

  12. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Let me sort out some cobwebs in my brain, and respond for the last time. Way
    back when in the dark prehistoric days before Windows, I bought an HP Laserjet
    II. It had a built-in Line Printer font, which was the default for any text
    printing. HP carried forward all the LaserJet II capabilities to later models,
    to allow for backward compatibility of software written just for the LJ II.
    Along came Windows, and I'll speculate that HP & Microsoft together provided
    some level of printer driver that somehow allowed people to use the LinePrinter
    font. I'll also guess that HP & Microsoft dropped this font with the Windows
    XP set of LJ 2100TN (and other) drivers. Probably your only recourse is to use
    Lucida Console or a similar free monospaced font with your computer running XP.

    Finally, WordPad is a very much stripped down version of Microsoft Word, part of
    the Office suite. Still, you can select different fonts and font sizes in
    WordPad and it does have a crude Print Preview feature. So to crunch the
    document down to 89 pages or so in WordPad, do a Select All, choose a monospaced
    font at a small size (6 points, 8 points?), use Print Preview to see how many
    pages there are, then print if and when you are satisfied with the previewed
    result.

    I have run out of other possibilities to suggest... Ben Myers

    wrote:

    >I hav an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    >used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    >is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?
    >
    >Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    >work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    >font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.
    >
    >I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    >Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me how to correct this?
    >
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

  13. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    On Nov 26, 9:38 am, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Let me sort out some cobwebs in my brain, and respond for the last time. Way
    > back when in the dark prehistoric days before Windows, I bought an HP Laserjet
    > II. It had a built-in Line Printer font, which was the default for any text
    > printing. HP carried forward all the LaserJet II capabilities to later models,
    > to allow for backward compatibility of software written just for the LJ II.
    > Along came Windows, and I'll speculate that HP & Microsoft together provided
    > some level of printer driver that somehow allowed people to use the LinePrinter
    > font. I'll also guess that HP & Microsoft dropped this font with the Windows
    > XP set of LJ 2100TN (and other) drivers. Probably your only recourse is to use
    > Lucida Console or a similar free monospaced font with your computer running XP.

    Yes, that's the conclusion I arrived at. Which is why I have to see if
    a place like Kinkos can doit in using the LinePrinter font.

    > Finally, WordPad is a very much stripped down version of Microsoft Word, part of
    > the Office suite. Still, you can select different fonts and font sizes in
    > WordPad and it does have a crude Print Preview feature. So to crunch the
    > document down to 89 pages or so in WordPad, do a Select All, choose a monospaced
    > font at a small size (6 points, 8 points?), use Print Preview to see how many
    > pages there are, then print if and when you are satisfied with the previewed
    > result.

    Getting it down to 89 pages is not possible in Notepad or WordPad on
    my XP system. (And 8 points is the smallest).

    > I have run out of other possibilities to suggest... Ben Myers

    Thanks for all your help.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York

    ************************************************** **********************************************
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:01:56 -0800 (PST),Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I hav an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    > >used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    > >is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

    > >Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    > >work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    > >font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

    > >I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    > >Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

    > >Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

    > >Thanks a lot.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

  14. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    8 point font size must be a limitation built into WordPad. It helps to think of
    WordPad as a badly crippled Microsoft Word, which does have the capability of
    handling small point sizes. I've experimented by successfully printing 6 and
    even 4 point font sizes from Word.

    Kinkos and the like are pretty expensive. There are absolutely free Word
    processors that can accomplish what you want, especially if this is something
    you do somewhat regularly. I have used and I like the "Writer" equivalent of
    Microsoft Word, and part of the free and freely downloadable OpenOffice. All
    you need is a sharper tool to do the job. Try a full-fledged word/document
    processor in conjunction with one of the free monospaced TrueType fonts
    mentioned here... Ben

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:07:24 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >On Nov 26, 9:38 am, Ben Myers
    >wrote:
    >> Let me sort out some cobwebs in my brain, and respond for the last time. Way
    >> back when in the dark prehistoric days before Windows, I bought an HP Laserjet
    >> II. It had a built-in Line Printer font, which was the default for any text
    >> printing. HP carried forward all the LaserJet II capabilities to later models,
    >> to allow for backward compatibility of software written just for the LJ II.
    >> Along came Windows, and I'll speculate that HP & Microsoft together provided
    >> some level of printer driver that somehow allowed people to use the LinePrinter
    >> font. I'll also guess that HP & Microsoft dropped this font with the Windows
    >> XP set of LJ 2100TN (and other) drivers. Probably your only recourse is to use
    >> Lucida Console or a similar free monospaced font with your computer running XP.

    >Yes, that's the conclusion I arrived at. Which is why I have to see if
    >a place like Kinkos can doit in using the LinePrinter font.
    >
    >> Finally, WordPad is a very much stripped down version of Microsoft Word, part of
    >> the Office suite. Still, you can select different fonts and font sizes in
    >> WordPad and it does have a crude Print Preview feature. So to crunch the
    >> document down to 89 pages or so in WordPad, do a Select All, choose a monospaced
    >> font at a small size (6 points, 8 points?), use Print Preview to see how many
    >> pages there are, then print if and when you are satisfied with the previewed
    >> result.

    >Getting it down to 89 pages is not possible in Notepad or WordPad on
    >my XP system. (And 8 points is the smallest).
    >
    >> I have run out of other possibilities to suggest... Ben Myers

    >Thanks for all your help.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York
    >
    >************************************************** **********************************************
    >> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:01:56 -0800 (PST),Searcher7
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I hav an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
    >> >used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
    >> >is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

    >> >Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
    >> >work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
    >> >font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

    >> >I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
    >> >Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

    >> >Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

    >> >Thanks a lot.

    >> >Darren Harris
    >> >Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

  15. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    I've been switching between PCs so much I'm confusing myself. I
    reconnected everything to my WindowsME PC and realized that it is
    "Microsoft Word 2000" that allows the LinePrinter font.(But still
    cannot find that file in the font folder.

    It was difficult enough copying the page from online to my WindowsMe
    computer. Notepad couldn't hold the entire page and when I tried to
    copy it to Word all I'd get were squiggly lines. So while creating
    multiple Notepads so I could copy the page in sections something
    happened.

    One of the Notepads "converted" itself to what looked like a simple
    version of Word and allowed me to fit *all* of the text I needed
    copied.(The Icon however remained a Notepad icon).

    I however was able to copy and paste the text from Notepad to Word.(It
    was actually down to 86 pages using the LinePrinter font).

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    ************************************************** **********************************************

    On Nov 26, 8:09 pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > 8 point font size must be a limitation built into WordPad. It helps to think of
    > WordPad as a badly crippled Microsoft Word, which does have the capability of
    > handling small point sizes. I've experimented by successfully printing 6 and
    > even 4 point font sizes from Word.
    >
    > Kinkos and the like are pretty expensive. There are absolutely free Word
    > processors that can accomplish what you want, especially if this is something
    > you do somewhat regularly. I have used and I like the "Writer" equivalent of
    > Microsoft Word, and part of the free and freely downloadable OpenOffice. All
    > you need is a sharper tool to do the job. Try a full-fledged word/document
    > processor in conjunction with one of the free monospaced TrueType fonts
    > mentioned here... Ben
    >
    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:07:24 -0800 (PST),Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Nov 26, 9:38 am, Ben Myers
    > >wrote:
    > >> Let me sort out some cobwebs in my brain, and respond for the last time. Way
    > >> back when in the dark prehistoric days before Windows, I bought an HP Laserjet
    > >> II. It had a built-in Line Printer font, which was the default for any text
    > >> printing. HP carried forward all the LaserJet II capabilities to later models,
    > >> to allow for backward compatibility of software written just for the LJ II.
    > >> Along came Windows, and I'll speculate that HP & Microsoft together provided
    > >> some level of printer driver that somehow allowed people to use the LinePrinter
    > >> font. I'll also guess that HP & Microsoft dropped this font with the Windows
    > >> XP set of LJ 2100TN (and other) drivers. Probably your only recourse is to use
    > >> Lucida Console or a similar free monospaced font with your computer running XP.

    > >Yes, that's the conclusion I arrived at. Which is why I have to see if
    > >a place like Kinkos can doit in using the LinePrinter font.

    > >> Finally, WordPad is a very much stripped down version of Microsoft Word, part of
    > >> the Office suite. Still, you can select different fonts and font sizes in
    > >> WordPad and it does have a crude Print Preview feature. So to crunch the
    > >> document down to 89 pages or so in WordPad, do a Select All, choose a monospaced
    > >> font at a small size (6 points, 8 points?), use Print Preview to see how many
    > >> pages there are, then print if and when you are satisfied with the previewed
    > >> result.

    > >Getting it down to 89 pages is not possible in Notepad or WordPad on
    > >my XP system. (And 8 points is the smallest).

    > >> I have run out of other possibilities to suggest... Ben Myers

    > >Thanks for all your help.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York

    > >************************************************** ************************-**********************

  16. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:09:18 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Ben Myers
    wrote:

    >8 point font size must be a limitation built into WordPad. It helps to think of
    >WordPad as a badly crippled Microsoft Word, which does have the capability of
    >handling small point sizes. I've experimented by successfully printing 6 and
    >even 4 point font sizes from Word.

    Can you think outside the box for two seconds? Just because the pull
    down menu is limited to 8 pt at the low end, this doesn't mean you
    can't enter a smaller value.

  17. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Good point (pun intended). I recall entering the really small point sizes
    manually with Word. WordPad allows you to do the same. I just tried it. The
    OP can accomplish what he wants with WordPad and Courier New, as far as I can
    tell... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:57:42 -0500, me@mine.net wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:09:18 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Ben Myers
    > wrote:
    >
    >>8 point font size must be a limitation built into WordPad. It helps to think of
    >>WordPad as a badly crippled Microsoft Word, which does have the capability of
    >>handling small point sizes. I've experimented by successfully printing 6 and
    >>even 4 point font sizes from Word.

    >Can you think outside the box for two seconds? Just because the pull
    >down menu is limited to 8 pt at the low end, this doesn't mean you
    >can't enter a smaller value.

  18. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:39:02 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Ben Myers
    wrote:

    >Good point (pun intended). I recall entering the really small point sizes
    >manually with Word. WordPad allows you to do the same. I just tried it. The
    >OP can accomplish what he wants with WordPad and Courier New, as far as I can
    >tell... Ben Myers

    Though I'm not going to go through this whole thread. but the 2100 user
    guide lists it;s fonts as all being scalable, except for a bit mapped
    lineprinter font. My take on this is someone needs to read a manual.
    Else wise there are may 3rd party utils including shareware available to
    print to pcl printers. 4print was one I used for many years.

  19. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Well, in the Windows XP environment of the OP, any TrueType font is scalable,
    and down to really small point sizes. Courier New is monospaced, which is what
    the OP wants, so it really should be easy for someone with basic knowledge of
    document formatting to print a large document with a small font.

    I used a number of handy freeware utilities for manipulating both PCL and
    PostScript back in the dark days of MS-DOS... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:42:52 -0500, me@mine.net wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:39:02 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Ben Myers
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Good point (pun intended). I recall entering the really small point sizes
    >>manually with Word. WordPad allows you to do the same. I just tried it. The
    >>OP can accomplish what he wants with WordPad and Courier New, as far as I can
    >>tell... Ben Myers

    >Though I'm not going to go through this whole thread. but the 2100 user
    >guide lists it;s fonts as all being scalable, except for a bit mapped
    >lineprinter font. My take on this is someone needs to read a manual.
    >Else wise there are may 3rd party utils including shareware available to
    >print to pcl printers. 4print was one I used for many years.

  20. Re: LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

    Back before nicely illustrated Acrobat PDFs became ever so popular, I used a
    handy dandy DOS utility called LJBOOK. It would take a text-only file and
    format it up so you could print two 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" pages side by side on a
    single 8 1/2" x 11" page. It also had the option to print on both sides of the
    paper. To do so, you would print some pages, then feed them back into the
    printer to print on the backs of the original pages. All the pages came out in
    the right order, so all you needed to do was to cut the paper in half and either
    staple or punch holes to have a convenient sized book. The LaserJet's built-in
    LinePrinter font was used. I have not used LJBOOK in a long time... Ben Myers