Help: Installing New Hard Drive & OS on HP 7955 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Help: Installing New Hard Drive & OS on HP 7955 - Hewlett Packard ; I have an HP Pavilion 7955 that didn't have a hard drive, so I put in a 164G Serial-ATA Hitachi Deskstar(HDT722516DLA380). There is a light blue 40-pin connector on the motherboard that has a small PCB plugged into it that ...

  1. Help: Installing New Hard Drive & OS on HP 7955

    I have an HP Pavilion 7955 that didn't have a hard drive, so I put in
    a 164G Serial-ATA Hitachi Deskstar(HDT722516DLA380). There is a light
    blue 40-pin connector on the motherboard that has a small PCB plugged
    into it that allows the
    use of a SATA drive with the motherboard. And the drive is the only
    one on it's cable.

    I want to try to install XP from a DVD. But the screen that shows the
    boot order is as follows:

    Boot Device Priority
    --------------------
    CD-ROM Drive
    +Removable Drives
    +Hard Drive
    Network Boot

    Though the DVD drive is found by the BIOS, it doesn't show at all in
    that Boot Priority screen.

    Is there a way to get the DVD-ROM drive into this list?

    The CD-ROM and DVD-Rom are on a single cable with it terminating at
    the CD-ROM.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

  2. Re: Help: Installing New Hard Drive & OS on HP 7955

    At the BIOS level, most motherboards cannot tell the difference between a CD-ROM
    drive and a DVD-capable drive. Boot from the "CD-ROM drive". If the system
    still does not allow booting from DVD, switch the CD- and DVD-ROM devices
    physically in the chassis, along with switching the cable connectors. If the
    drives are both jumpered as CS (cable select), which HP usually does, that ought
    to do it... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:11:40 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    wrote:

    >I have an HP Pavilion 7955 that didn't have a hard drive, so I put in
    >a 164G Serial-ATA Hitachi Deskstar(HDT722516DLA380). There is a light
    >blue 40-pin connector on the motherboard that has a small PCB plugged
    >into it that allows the
    >use of a SATA drive with the motherboard. And the drive is the only
    >one on it's cable.
    >
    >I want to try to install XP from a DVD. But the screen that shows the
    >boot order is as follows:
    >
    >Boot Device Priority
    >--------------------
    >CD-ROM Drive
    >+Removable Drives
    >+Hard Drive
    >Network Boot
    >
    >Though the DVD drive is found by the BIOS, it doesn't show at all in
    >that Boot Priority screen.
    >
    >Is there a way to get the DVD-ROM drive into this list?
    >
    >The CD-ROM and DVD-Rom are on a single cable with it terminating at
    >the CD-ROM.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

  3. Re: Help: Installing New Hard Drive & OS on HP 7955

    On Nov 22, 3:49 pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > At the BIOS level, most motherboards cannot tell the difference between a CD-ROM
    > drive and a DVD-capable drive. Boot from the "CD-ROM drive". If the system
    > still does not allow booting from DVD, switch the CD- and DVD-ROM devices
    > physically in the chassis, along with switching the cable connectors. If the
    > drives are both jumpered as CS (cable select), which HP usually does, that ought
    > to do it... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:11:40 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have an HP Pavilion 7955 that didn't have a hard drive, so I put in
    > >a 164G Serial-ATA Hitachi Deskstar(HDT722516DLA380). There is a light
    > >blue 40-pin connector on the motherboard that has a small PCB plugged
    > >into it that allows the
    > >use of a SATA drive with the motherboard. And the drive is the only
    > >one on it's cable.

    > >I want to try to install XP from a DVD. But the screen that shows the
    > >boot order is as follows:

    > >Boot Device Priority
    > >--------------------
    > >CD-ROM Drive
    > >+Removable Drives
    > >+Hard Drive
    > >Network Boot

    > >Though the DVD drive is found by the BIOS, it doesn't show at all in
    > >that Boot Priority screen.

    > >Is there a way to get the DVD-ROM drive into this list?

    > >The CD-ROM and DVD-Rom are on a single cable with it terminating at
    > >the CD-ROM.

    > >Thanks.

    > >Darren Harris
    > >Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

    The DVD-ROM didn't have the the pin position info on the case, but
    thankfully the CD-ROM did. So I just took a chance and assumed they
    were the same.(They were both on "Cable Select").

    I switched them around and made the DVD-ROM the "Master" and the CD-
    ROM the "slave", but that did not work, so I completely disconnected
    the CD-ROM and it worked. The Windows XP set-up started. After the
    couple hour installation(which had it's own set of road-blocks) I re-
    connected the CD-ROM(as the slave), and at the moment everything
    seems
    to be working.(Including the little adaptor that lets the SATA drive
    work on this IDE motherboard).

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

  4. Re: Help: Installing New Hard Drive & OS on HP 7955

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

    >On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:11:40 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have an HP Pavilion 7955 that didn't have a hard drive, so I put in
    >>a 164G Serial-ATA Hitachi Deskstar(HDT722516DLA380). There is a light
    >>blue 40-pin connector on the motherboard that has a small PCB plugged
    >>into it that allows the
    >>use of a SATA drive with the motherboard. And the drive is the only
    >>one on it's cable.
    >>
    >>I want to try to install XP from a DVD. But the screen that shows the
    >>boot order is as follows:
    >>
    >>Boot Device Priority
    >>--------------------
    >>CD-ROM Drive
    >>+Removable Drives
    >>+Hard Drive
    >>Network Boot
    >>
    >>Though the DVD drive is found by the BIOS, it doesn't show at all in
    >>that Boot Priority screen.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to get the DVD-ROM drive into this list?
    >>
    >>The CD-ROM and DVD-Rom are on a single cable with it terminating at
    >>the CD-ROM.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Darren Harris
    >>Staten Island, New York.