As many other people will tell you, the number you entered was stored properly; the { at the end indicates the value is stored as +1234560 , it's an overpunch character. You may want to download the Query manual here (http://www.docs.hp.com/en/32650-90889/32650-90889.pdf ) and look at page 165.

As for your second question, I'm not sure I understand properly. Are you saying that when the status field in the master record gets updated to some value, all the detail records are erased? If that's the case, that's a program function, it's not IMAGE doing that for you. You should not have to do anything to add new detail records, but perhaps the program that adds records looks at that status first and sees if you are allowed to add new entries for that master record. This could be something like an inactive customer where new entries are not allowed until you activate the customer again.

Denys...
-----Original Message-----
From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of aHash
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 8:53 AM
To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
Subject: [HP3000-L] Image Query question

Hi all, I am new to the group as well HP3000. Glenn from tek-tips introduced
this group to me. Thanks to him.

I am trying to do an insert on table. Which has all the three columns as keys
and is a detail dataset. It has on column as P8.

I have two questions.

1. What should I do to insert a record in this table using QUERY. The P8
coulmn wont take my regular number(e.g 1234560). It is displayed as 123456{

2. I wrote a small program based on an existing program.
Can I not insert a detail row for an existing master entry? customer some
how wants to reopen the master entry after a long time. But there is no
detail entry for it, because when the status column of the master entry
changes a different detail goes away (by an update). How do I handle this?