50G - Ordering variables in subdir - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 50G - Ordering variables in subdir - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all. I've got a TOOLS subdir in HOME dir where I stored some tiny utilities; I access them by means of the F1-F6 soft-keys. As there are more than 6 items in TOOLS, of course I'll have to use ...

  1. 50G - Ordering variables in subdir

    Hi all.
    I've got a TOOLS subdir in HOME dir where I stored some tiny
    utilities; I access them by means of the F1-F6 soft-keys.
    As there are more than 6 items in TOOLS, of course I'll have to use
    the [NXT] key to browse, but...
    Is there a way to have the "first page" of soft-key labelled with the
    items I choose (so that the most useful and recurrently used are
    always handy just upon entering TOOLS)?
    Some special ordering needed (using the built-in Filer or even Filer6
    by W.R.)?

    Hope I made myself clear enough :-)

    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  2. Re: 50G - Ordering variables in subdir

    On 2007-11-20 03:45:48 +1100, Giancarlo
    said:

    > Hi all.
    > I've got a TOOLS subdir in HOME dir where I stored some tiny
    > utilities; I access them by means of the F1-F6 soft-keys.
    > As there are more than 6 items in TOOLS, of course I'll have to use
    > the [NXT] key to browse, but...
    > Is there a way to have the "first page" of soft-key labelled with the
    > items I choose (so that the most useful and recurrently used are
    > always handy just upon entering TOOLS)?
    > Some special ordering needed (using the built-in Filer or even Filer6
    > by W.R.)?

    ORDER ; take a list of variable names
    du something like { name1 name2 ... name6 } which are the 6 names you
    want to appear first in the var menu]
    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  3. Re: 50G - Ordering variables in subdir

    JYA ha scritto:

    > ORDER ; take a list of variable names
    > du something like { name1 name2 ... name6 } which are the 6 names you
    > want to appear first in the var menu]
    > --
    > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    Hi JY!
    Thank you very much for your hint - it worked great (of course ;-)
    And, once more, RTFM was the correct recipe...
    A+.
    Giancarlo

  4. Re: 50G - Ordering variables in subdir

    On Nov 19, 9:19 am, Giancarlo
    wrote:
    > JYA ha scritto:
    >
    > > ORDER ; take a list of variable names
    > > du something like { name1 name2 ... name6 } which are the 6 names you
    > > want to appear first in the var menu]
    > > --
    > > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    > Hi JY!
    > Thank you very much for your hint - it worked great (of course ;-)
    > And, once more, RTFM was the correct recipe...
    > A+.
    > Giancarlo

    Alternatively you can left shift FILES, arrow to your directory, press
    ENTER on the first item, then ENTER the 2nd, etc... (you'll notice the
    numbers 1, 2, ... on the left). After you have set your order, NXT,
    soft menu ORDER.

  5. Re: 50G - Ordering variables in subdir

    I haven't done this, but you might think about defining ENTERED in
    your tools directory as << { key1 key2 ... } ORDER >>. That should
    keep things properly ordered semi-automatically if the directory's
    contents change.

    Why not define a CST in your tools directory to reset the custom menu
    every time you visit that directory? Then it doesn't matter what order
    they are in the directory. (I use ORDER to keep my directories in
    sorted order.)

    I prefer a more flexible approach: keep globally-useful tools in the
    HOME directory (so they're accessible from anywhere) and use a
    carefully-crafted chain of custom menus to access them. (I might post
    that sometime as an example.) That still allows you to have per-
    directory custom menus by defining CST with the "master" menu as the
    first item and directory-specific ones following that.

    Related to all this, there's also a PROTECT program on hpcalc.org. I
    haven't used it, so I don't know whether it works with current
    calculators, but I believe it uses the trick of a variable with an
    "empty" name to give the appearance that names following that position
    don't show up in VARS (or the softkeys). That would allow you to
    "hide" your tools, access them through the custom menu, and see only
    the ancillary stuff (data and results) that your tools created in the
    VARS list.

    So many options...

+ Reply to Thread