Re: OT: Autoload DVD burner for PC (Mild Rant) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Autoload DVD burner for PC (Mild Rant) - Hewlett Packard ; Pete writes: > Well, here I go again... > > One of the more popular backup solutions that comes to mind that backs up > Windows, Linux, Unix (incl. Solaris, and various flavors of Unix and BSD > (note: some ...

  1. Re: OT: Autoload DVD burner for PC (Mild Rant)

    Pete writes:

    > Well, here I go again...
    >
    > One of the more popular backup solutions that comes to mind that backs up
    > Windows, Linux, Unix (incl. Solaris, and various flavors of Unix and BSD
    > (note: some BSDs don't support 'pthreads' well enough)), and MacOS is
    > Bacula. There is a developer's guide for porting to other operating systems
    > (particularly POSIX), say MPE for instance and uses GNU C++. It includes
    > the normal variations (full, differential, incremental), compression (gzip),
    > and encryption. It also catalogs all of the backups and files in any of 3
    > popular open source databases (SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL). It has its own
    > scheduler built-in, and can schedule backups across the network. The system
    > can scale from a single computer to hundreds on large networks. Bacula can
    > be found here: http://www.bacula.org/

    Just a word of warning. Before anyone purchases Bacula (which is the plural of
    Baculum), they should examine what they're buying:

    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/baculums.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculum

    Wirt Atmar
    AICS Research, Inc.
    PO Box 4691
    University Park, NM 88003-4691
    (800) AICS-INC
    (575) 524-9800
    (575) 526-4700 fax

  2. Re: OT: Autoload DVD burner for PC (Mild Rant)

    ROTF, LMAO!!! :-D

    Pete

    On 11/18/07, Wirt Atmar wrote:

    > Pete writes:
    >
    > > Well, here I go again...
    > >
    > > One of the more popular backup solutions that comes to mind that backs

    > up
    > > Windows, Linux, Unix (incl. Solaris, and various flavors of Unix and

    > BSD
    > > (note: some BSDs don't support 'pthreads' well enough)), and MacOS is
    > > Bacula. There is a developer's guide for porting to other operating

    > systems
    > > (particularly POSIX), say MPE for instance and uses GNU C++. It

    > includes
    > > the normal variations (full, differential, incremental), compression

    > (gzip),
    > > and encryption. It also catalogs all of the backups and files in any

    > of 3
    > > popular open source databases (SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL). It has its

    > own
    > > scheduler built-in, and can schedule backups across the network. The

    > system
    > > can scale from a single computer to hundreds on large networks. Bacula

    > can
    > > be found here: http://www.bacula.org/

    > Just a word of warning. Before anyone purchases Bacula (which is the
    > plural of
    > Baculum), they should examine what they're buying:
    >
    > http://www.skullsunlimited.com/baculums.html
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculum
    >
    > Wirt Atmar
    > AICS Research, Inc.
    > PO Box 4691
    > University Park, NM 88003-4691
    > (800) AICS-INC
    > (575) 524-9800
    > (575) 526-4700 fax

  3. Re: OT: Autoload DVD burner for PC (Mild Rant)

    One part of me thinks, did wirt look that up on accident, or does he
    just know a lot about.. well then the other part of me kicks in that
    says I don't want to know...

    -g
    On Nov 18, 2007 7:48 PM, Peter M. Eggers wrote:
    > ROTF, LMAO!!! :-D
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > On 11/18/07, Wirt Atmar wrote:
    > >
    > > Pete writes:
    > >
    > > > Well, here I go again...
    > > >
    > > > One of the more popular backup solutions that comes to mind that backs

    > > up
    > > > Windows, Linux, Unix (incl. Solaris, and various flavors of Unix and

    > > BSD
    > > > (note: some BSDs don't support 'pthreads' well enough)), and MacOS is
    > > > Bacula. There is a developer's guide for porting to other operating

    > > systems
    > > > (particularly POSIX), say MPE for instance and uses GNU C++. It

    > > includes
    > > > the normal variations (full, differential, incremental), compression

    > > (gzip),
    > > > and encryption. It also catalogs all of the backups and files in any

    > > of 3
    > > > popular open source databases (SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL). It has its

    > > own
    > > > scheduler built-in, and can schedule backups across the network. The

    > > system
    > > > can scale from a single computer to hundreds on large networks. Bacula

    > > can
    > > > be found here: http://www.bacula.org/

    > > Just a word of warning. Before anyone purchases Bacula (which is the
    > > plural of
    > > Baculum), they should examine what they're buying:
    > >
    > > http://www.skullsunlimited.com/baculums.html
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculum
    > >
    > > Wirt Atmar
    > > AICS Research, Inc.
    > > PO Box 4691
    > > University Park, NM 88003-4691
    > > (800) AICS-INC
    > > (575) 524-9800
    > > (575) 526-4700 fax

    Gehan Gehale
    gehale@gmail.com

  4. Re: OT: Autoload DVD burner for PC (Mild Rant)

    Wirt is a research scientist first. I think you will find he is quite
    well versed in terminology. Along with a sense of humor.