WDAY on HP 50g - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on WDAY on HP 50g - Hewlett Packard ; I got this program (WDAY) from hpcalc.org Link: http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=WDAY Moved it to Port 2, can't make it work. Moved it to Port 0, can't make it work either. I have an HP 50g (CNA 72500XXX) with ROM 2.09. When I ...

  1. WDAY on HP 50g

    I got this program (WDAY) from hpcalc.org

    Link: http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=WDAY

    Moved it to Port 2, can't make it work.
    Moved it to Port 0, can't make it work either.

    I have an HP 50g (CNA 72500XXX) with ROM 2.09. When I select an option
    on the main menu and press F6 (OK), the menu refreshes and nothing
    happens.

    >From the author:

    "WDAY is a time/calendar program for the HP49/49G+ It was originally
    written for the
    PC under MS-DOS, but I have now ported it to the HP49 series of
    calculators".

    "...Simply transfer the binary file WDAY.HP to the calculator and it
    will be installed in its own directory, WDAY. Select this directory,
    and simply execute the file Main to launch the application."

    If it works on HP 49g+ should work on 50g, right?. Any comments?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    Hello,

    it has to be stored in a *directory* not in a port.

    Greetings
    Andreas
    http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de

    On 14 Nov., 18:19, jdol...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I got this program (WDAY) from hpcalc.org
    >
    > Link: http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=WDAY
    >
    > Moved it to Port 2, can't make it work.
    > Moved it to Port 0, can't make it work either.
    >
    > I have an HP 50g (CNA 72500XXX) with ROM 2.09. When I select an option
    > on the main menu and press F6 (OK), the menu refreshes and nothing
    > happens.
    >
    > >From the author:

    > "WDAY is a time/calendar program for the HP49/49G+ It was originally
    > written for the
    > PC under MS-DOS, but I have now ported it to the HP49 series of
    > calculators".
    >
    > "...Simply transfer the binary file WDAY.HP to the calculator and it
    > will be installed in its own directory, WDAY. Select this directory,
    > and simply execute the file Main to launch the application."
    >
    > If it works on HP 49g+ should work on 50g, right?. Any comments?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On 14 nov, 15:34, Andreas Möller wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > it has to be stored in a *directory* not in a port.
    >
    > Greetings
    > Andreashttp://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
    >
    > On 14 Nov., 18:19, jdol...@gmail.com wrote:

    When you copy "WDAY.HP" on any port, it´s automatically installed in
    its own directory as the author said.

  4. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    > When you copy "WDAY.HP" on any port, it´s automatically installed in
    > its own directory as the author said.

    Then I suggest you send this information to the author for updating
    his files.

    Regardless of what may be written in the docs the HP-binary in the
    *.zip file is a *directory*. Directories stored in a lib are only
    accessible through the filers.

    Greetings
    Andreas

  5. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On 14 nov, 17:16, Andreas Möller wrote:
    > > When you copy "WDAY.HP" on any port, it´s automatically installed in
    > > its own directory as the author said.

    > Then I suggest you send this information to the author for updating
    > his files.
    >
    > Regardless of what may be written in the docs the HP-binary in the
    > *.zip file is a *directory*. Directories stored in a lib are only
    > accessible through the filers.
    >
    > Greetings
    > Andreas

    I am accessing WDAY's main app through the filer.

  6. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:12:55 -0600:

    What the author actually said is:

    "Simply transfer the binary file WDAY.HP to the calculator"

    This language implies transfer by cable, in which case
    the transferred file would be in a user variable,
    which would be a directory, and there it would work,
    while in a port it will not.

    Despite the Filer's being able to display the *structure*
    of a directory, even when stored in a port,
    the "main program" can not access the other programs that way,
    and it's just futile to think it ever will.

    It will work when the binary
    is stored or transferred to a user variable;
    it will not work when only sitting in a port, as you have seen,
    not even if you threaten to bang the calculator with your shoe,
    in frustration, as legend says Nikita Khrushchev did at the U.N.:

    http://www.iht.com/articles/2003/07/...ubman_ed3_.php

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    OK John, thanks for the enlightening answer.
    I'll try to make it work with the cable.
    But suppose I don't want to use the cable, just the SD card, what
    should I do to make it work?

  8. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:30:26 -0600:

    > Suppose I don't want to use the cable, just the SD card,
    > what should I do to make it work?

    Transfer from card (or from any port where it's now at)
    to your HOME directory (or other "user" directory).

    Why so:

    Calculator "Directory" objects function as a directory
    only when they are stored among other user variables (VAR menu).

    When the individual programs in the directory try to call each other,
    they do so by using names, which are searched for
    only among user variables, so that's where the entire directory
    (including all its individual variables) needs to be.

    It's very clever of the Filer to be able to decompile and display
    all of the parts, even when a directory is stored in a port,
    but this won't help when any running program
    needs to call other variables by name.

    It may be possible to make a library out of some directories
    of programs, using the CRLIB command, and then you can
    (and actually have to) store the library in a port;
    the CRLIB command requires extra preparation of the directory,
    however (the AUR document should explain all about that).

    [r->] [OFF]

  9. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    John: thanks for taking the time to explain.

    Moved WDAY.HP to HOME.

    I get the following error whenever I select any option from the main
    menu of the program:

    INFORM Error: HALT Not Allowed.

  10. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:54:35 -0600, wrote:

    > Moved WDAY.HP to HOME.
    >
    > I get the following error whenever I select any option
    > from the main menu of the program:
    >
    > INFORM Error: HALT Not Allowed.

    I get no errors,
    neither on Debug4x/50G or Emu/49G.

    There is, in fact, no HALT command
    in the entire original directory (all UserRPL).

    Try turning off "USER" mode, in case it's on.

    [r->] [OFF]

  11. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:54:35 -0600:

    > INFORM Error: HALT Not Allowed.

    Since there is no HALT anywhere in the programs,
    what you must be doing is trying to start the application
    from the Filer.

    Give the filer a rest, and use the VAR menu
    to go to the application directory,
    and start the main program from there.

    The Filer is not quite the same thing
    as Windows' "Start > Programs" menu

    [r->] [OFF]

  12. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On 15 nov, 00:57, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:54:35 -0600:
    >
    > > INFORM Error: HALT Not Allowed.

    > Since there is no HALT anywhere in the programs,
    > what you must be doing is trying to start the application
    > from the Filer.
    >
    > Give the filer a rest, and use the VAR menu
    > to go to the application directory,
    > and start the main program from there.
    >
    > The Filer is not quite the same thing
    > as Windows' "Start > Programs" menu
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    You got it. It works more than fine. Thanks John.
    I'll remember that sentence..."The filer is not quite the same thing
    as Windows' "Start>Programs" menu".
    I have a long, long learning road ahead.

  13. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On 2007-11-15 07:16:21 +1100, Andreas Möller
    said:
    Then I suggest you send this information to the author for updating
    > his files.

    The documentation is correct, from the original post""...Simply
    transfer the binary file WDAY.HP to the calculator and it
    will be installed in its own directory, WDAY. Select this directory,
    and simply execute the file Main to launch the application."
    "

    The original poster is just rewriting the documentation to justify why
    he;s doing thing incorrectly

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  14. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 03:14:57 -0600, JYA wrote:

    > The documentation is correct, from the original post
    > "...Simply transfer the binary file WDAY.HP to the calculator and it
    > will be installed in its own directory, WDAY. Select this directory,
    > and simply execute the file Main to launch the application."

    > The original poster is just rewriting the documentation
    > to justify why he's doing things incorrectly

    Not really; the OP thought he did "transfer to the calculator"
    when he used your Filer to transfer from his SD card to Port 2
    (isn't "Port 2" part of "the calculator"?)

    He then also used your filer to inspect the object
    which was just transferred to Port 2, and your Filer
    not only told him that it *was* a "Directory,"
    but it evan allowed him to _enter_ that Directory,
    and from there to even launch its main program,
    via your EVAL menu key in the Filer!

    Since the Filer treats that "Directory" identically,
    whether it's in "user" memory (variables) or in a port,
    how would the OP ever imagine the difference?

    Finally, even when the OP moved that Directory into HOME,
    the Filer fooled him once again, because the Filer's EVAL
    did not set up a proper environment for running the main program,
    even then -- he may well have been used to navigating through
    Windows' "Start menu" to find any program and then launch it,
    not unreasonably expecting the Filer to accomplish the same thing.

    It's not that your Filer is at fault, except that it's too good,
    in the same sense as a driving school whose television ads
    featured its President's wife raving about how she loved
    driving all the time, now that she'd learned from her husband's
    wonderful school, followed by the husband, now never
    getting a chance to drive his own car, complaining:
    "Dear XYZ driving school, did you have to be THAT GOOD?"

    [r->] [OFF]

  15. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    Hi

    On 2007-11-26 21:30:10 +1100, "John H Meyers" said:
    > He then also used your filer to inspect the object
    > which was just transferred to Port 2, and your Filer
    > not only told him that it *was* a "Directory,"
    > but it evan allowed him to _enter_ that Directory,
    > and from there to even launch its main program,
    > via your EVAL menu key in the Filer!

    I'm very surprised that running from the Filer as opposed to calling
    the application from VAR would generate a different result.
    He said he got an error "HALT not allowed"

    > Windows' "Start menu" to find any program and then launch it,
    > not unreasonably expecting the Filer to accomplish the same thing.

    Well, I can give you examples where running the Start Menu on a PC
    would fail depending on the program. Like the program making incorrect
    assumptions about where to write temporary files.
    So if oyu were to start a program from a CD directly ; it would failt
    with a write error.

    A program can easily test where it is running from (just need to check
    that it's running from temporary memory) .

    More an issue with the program itself than the filer don't you think?
    > featured its President's wife raving about how she loved
    > driving all the time, now that she'd learned from her husband's
    > wonderful school, followed by the husband, now never
    > getting a chance to drive his own car, complaining:
    > "Dear XYZ driving school, did you have to be THAT GOOD?"

    if only your president was good

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  16. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:55:46 -0600, JYA wrote:

    JHM:
    >> He then also used your filer to inspect the object
    >> which was just transferred to Port 2, and your Filer
    >> not only told him that it *was* a "Directory,"
    >> but it even allowed him to _enter_ that Directory,
    >> and from there to even launch its main program,
    >> via your EVAL menu key in the Filer!

    JYA:
    > I'm very surprised that running from the Filer as opposed to
    > calling the application from VAR would generate a different
    > result. He said he got an error "HALT not allowed"

    You can see how tempting it must have been for the OP
    to equate running from Port 2 with running from VAR,
    but at the point mentioned above, he was still trying
    to run the main program from Port 2, which I presume
    the Filer does by recalling it to the stack first(?);
    since none of the other programs then existed in variables,
    the main program just looped on an error, at that point.

    When the whole directory is in fact moved to variables,
    and then the main program is again started via the Filer,
    the OP did get "Halt not allowed" -- and I found
    exactly the same, when I attempted the same steps;
    I did not know why that happened, but could confirm that it did.

    All of the programming is UserRPL,
    and I thought the Filer author might be able to shed light
    on why that situation might happen (more below about this).

    > A program can easily test where it is running from
    > (just need to check that it's running from temporary memory)

    Perhaps not quite as easy for a UserRPL program,
    but in this case irrelevant anyway, as will be seen.

    > More an issue with the program itself than the filer don't you think?

    Actually, it is very easy to see that the Filer itself causes
    "SuspendOK?" to return FALSE -- all that one need do
    is to store \<< HALT \>> into 'XXX' and then EVAL that variable
    using the Filer, upon which a "HALT Not Allowed" error occurs!

    Would other commands (e.g. CHOOSE or INFORM, etc.) also produce
    such an error, if "SuspendOK?" would return FALSE ?

    If so, then it _is_ related to starting a program using the Filer,
    even if no one can recall why the Filer doesn't want
    to allow an invoked program to be suspended (we all know
    that old software we wrote many years ago is best forgotten,
    so that we can better focus on what we're doing now

    Maybe HP has decided the same, to just move on,
    without ever even testing and releasing the improved 2.10 ROM
    that unknown person(s) were so kind
    as to "hand them on a silver platter,"
    while they went off instead
    prospecting elsewhere for more gold

    ---

    "Filer, Filer, burning bright
    In the forests of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Dare change thy fearful symmetry?"

    - William Flake (1757-1827)

    http://www.bartleby.com/101/489.html

    [r->] [OFF]

  17. Re: WDAY on HP 50g

    John is right on every guess about the way I (the OP) thought.
    It´s very much true that I was using the filer in a pretty similar way
    to Windows´ Start menu.

    > I'm very surprised that running from the Filer as opposed to
    > calling the application from VAR would generate a different
    > result. He said he got an error "HALT not allowed"

    In this case, JY, it does generate a different result.

    Soon I´ll have more time to become friendlier with my HP 50g, getting
    ready for some final exams, including thermodynamics. HP 50g, plus
    steam tables software, absolutely priceless.

+ Reply to Thread