How to erase a faulty flashbank ? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on How to erase a faulty flashbank ? - Hewlett Packard ; Claudio Lapilli wrote: > > The answer is much easier than you think. Read HPGCC license again. > There's clearly an exception that says the GPL restrictions don't > apply if you release the software for free. As long as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 66 of 66

  1. Re: GPL and hpgcc

    Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > The answer is much easier than you think. Read HPGCC license again.
    > There's clearly an exception that says the GPL restrictions don't
    > apply if you release the software for free. As long as the program for

    First, I'm not sure GPL allows for that. I'd have to re-read everything again
    with that in mind, but:

    Also, GPL doesn't allow one to make distinctions between individual,
    government, and for profit organizations. There are other licenses that
    do that though. You can't just willy-nilly change what you don't like
    about GPL, and then call it GPL (you can call it something else though).

    > the calculator is not sold, there's no GPL infection problem. As
    > simple as that.

    No, it isn't simple. Sorry to drag this out, but it is probably important
    to some people, and it is on topic since it affects software on the calculator.

    Now, my understanding is EDGE is a closed source for profit library.
    It exists on many platforms, and does not need any GPL'ed libraries for
    those platforms. Still simple.

    Now, move to the HP50G. EDGE requires GPL'ed hpgcc libraries (do I understand
    this correctly?) to run on the HP50G. According to the GPL, EDGE must be GPL
    as well:

    Q. If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean that
    any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
    A. Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.

    Q. You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build a
    proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program mean I have
    to GPL my program?
    A. Yes.

    So, my take on this is if a version of EDGE is distributed that runs on the
    HP50G, then it must be GPL'ed (which is a little different from what I said
    earlier in the day). In this case, GPL is limiting the availability of
    software - limiting choice.

    One thing I was definitely wrong about is the act of running the code, causing
    the GPL'ed libraries to be used by a non-GPL'ed program, by the end user
    (individual, company, gov body, etc...), does not violate the GPL (I said it
    did earlier). GPL covers distribution of code that that relies on other
    GPL code, not the internal use of GPL'ed code (for instance, a company
    can modify GPL'ed code all they want, use the application for anything
    they want, and do not have to release the modified code as long as they
    keep it internal to the company).

    - Kurt

  2. Re: GPL and hpgcc

    > No, it isn't simple. Sorry to drag this out, but it is probably important
    > to some people, and it is on topic since it affects software on the calculator.

    However, as several of the HPGCC memebers have expressed interest to
    not discus legal stuff in a public forum, we should respect their
    wishes.

    TW

  3. Re: GPL and hpgcc

    TW wrote:

    > However, as several of the HPGCC memebers have expressed interest to
    > not discus legal stuff in a public forum, we should respect their
    > wishes.

    It isn't really up to them when it comes to people wanting a better
    understanding of the licenses in use. I can understand those who might
    want to take some form of legal action, or those who might be subject to
    such action, to not want to personally discuss the topic since anything
    ones says can be used against them....

    I have some interest in the topic since I'm working on a LGPL library
    (unrelated to the HP), and it has forced me to gain a better understanding
    of the license.

    Personally, I like the HPGCC concept, and I believe the authors have
    every right to choose whatever license they want. But, I also believe
    libraries should use LGPL (if they are using a GNU license)....

    I just heard that EDGE doesn't require any hpgcc libraries, so everything
    I wrote isn't an issue....

    - Kurt

  4. Re: GPL and hpgcc

    On 2007-11-15 14:11:44 +1100, TW said:

    > However, as several of the HPGCC memebers have expressed interest to
    > not discus legal stuff in a public forum, we should respect their
    > wishes.

    they may not want to discuss about it, it doesn't prevent other people
    to discuss about it don't you think?

    There is a time where your product starts a life of its own ; it
    happens the day it is released to the public

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  5. Re: GPL and hpgcc

    On 2007-11-15 15:51:24 +1100, ~kurt said:

    > I just heard that EDGE doesn't require any hpgcc libraries, so everything
    > I wrote isn't an issue....

    But the graphing interface does though, which is using EDGE
    I use it to read numbers from the stack.

    The grapher, I intend to release it with source code.

    Jean-Yves
    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  6. Re: Does xSTO handles storing in Port 2 properly ?

    "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    newsp.t1hyafqsnn735j@miu.edu...
    > Does Port 1 have the same restriction, that objects
    > must be less than 128K, and can not "straddle" the two banks?

    I can't C an answer to this...
    An educated guess would be...yes
    and
    that only The Blue Lightning aka HP-49G (no plus here)
    had two banks @ Port 1

    The (overlying) Calc System has it's limitations
    which do not seem to apply to system RAM ~240KB
    How is that handled?
    Like...no object is in the "between-banks"??
    ???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4