Problems moving large objects between ports -- HP50+, ROM 2.09 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Problems moving large objects between ports -- HP50+, ROM 2.09 - Hewlett Packard ; I sometimes want to pull a piece out of an archive, e.g., a subdirectory. I do my archiving to port 3; say I have an archive ARC1 stored there. What I would like to do is copy it to Port ...

  1. Problems moving large objects between ports -- HP50+, ROM 2.09

    I sometimes want to pull a piece out of an archive, e.g., a
    subdirectory. I do my archiving to port 3; say I have an archive ARC1
    stored there. What I would like to do is copy it to Port 2 and then
    dive down into it.
    The following is all in RPN mode; it makes no difference if the
    LastStack, LastArg, and LastCMD are turned on or turned off.
    If ARC1 is larger than 128k, I understand I cannot move it to Port 2.
    However, even it it is smaller, I have run into the following two
    problems.
    1. If I recall it (the stack displays Backup ARC1) and then do :2:name
    STO, I get an Insufficient Memory error, even though there is plenty
    of room in Port 2. Does Port 2 have to be somehow "contiguous
    storage", i.e. somehow packed, and if so, how do I pack it? (This
    2. I noticed that if I try to create a list which is more than
    64kbytes, the calculator hangs ("Busy" annunciator on, never returns
    to keyboard until warmstart). Is it well-known that there is such a
    limit? Is this being fixed in a new version of the ROM? The limit does
    not apply to, for example, a directory object recalled to the stack.
    Irl

  2. Re: Problems moving large objects between ports -- HP50+, ROM 2.09

    Hi
    On 2007-11-07 10:18:18 +1100, Irl said:

    > I sometimes want to pull a piece out of an archive, e.g., a
    > subdirectory. I do my archiving to port 3; say I have an archive ARC1
    > stored there. What I would like to do is copy it to Port 2 and then
    > dive down into it.

    The maximum object size that can be stored in Port 2 is 128kB.
    Port 2 is made of several segment of 128kB ; if say you stored a lot of
    64kB objects, and then deleted every 2nd object. The maximum space left
    per 128kB would be 64kB maximum.
    Now if you were to store an object bigger than 64kB, the OS will
    reorganise the flash in order to maximise the space.

    Now, for an object to be moved from say the SD card to Port 2, it must
    first go through the main RAM.
    So if you want to copy a 100kB file from Port 3 to Port 2, you must
    have at least 100kB of free RAM

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  3. Re: Problems moving large objects between ports -- HP50+, ROM 2.09

    "JYA" wrote in message
    > Now, for an object to be moved from say the SD card to Port 2, it must
    > first go through the main RAM.
    > So if you want to copy a 100kB file from Port 3 to Port 2, you must have
    > at least 100kB of free RAM
    >
    > Jean-Yves

    AAARGHH
    Why not use 4K parts to do the transfer?
    You could check that it fits, then do a piecewise transfer
    Perhaps even an adaptive one:
    Use max Main RAM for each transfer (last one could be smaller)
    Naturally one leaves room for alarms etc interrupts
    unless they are disabled while doing the Move

  4. Re: Problems moving large objects between ports -- HP50+, ROM 2.09

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:54:04 -0500:

    JYA:
    > for an object to be moved from say the SD card to Port 2,
    > it must first go through the main RAM.
    > So if you want to copy a 100kB file from Port 3 to Port 2,
    > you must have at least 100kB of free RAM

    VPN> AAARGHH

    The leap from HP48 series to HP49/50 series was, however,
    accompanied by the generous addition of 128K more user RAM,
    which could provide all the room needed
    for object transfers, flash packing, or archiving HOME,
    provided that the user can resist the temptation
    to overextend into a much bigger HOME than he can afford,
    which is the same factor now devastating the economy

    -[ ]-

+ Reply to Thread