How to fromat SD cards properly - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on How to fromat SD cards properly - Hewlett Packard ; I there a list of which versions of the OS for the 49G+ and 50G need which type FAT 16 or 32 to upgrade the OS from an SD card? Also it has been a while since I formatted a ...

  1. How to fromat SD cards properly

    I there a list of which versions of the OS for the 49G+ and 50G need
    which type FAT 16 or 32 to upgrade the OS from an SD card? Also it has
    been a while since I formatted a disk from the commnad line. Is it the
    old MSDOS format command?
    Harold A. Climer
    Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    309 Grote Hall
    423-425-4546
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  2. Re: How to fromat SD cards properly

    On Nov 4, 6:00 pm, Harold A Climer wrote:
    > I there a list of which versions of the OS for the 49G+ and 50G need
    > which type FAT 16 or 32 to upgrade the OS from an SD card? Also it has
    > been a while since I formatted a disk from the commnad line. Is it the
    > old MSDOS format command?
    > Harold A. Climer
    > Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    > University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    > 309 Grote Hall
    > 423-425-4546
    > Harold-Cli...@utc.edu

    According to Mr.
    Jean-Yves Avenard if SDcard >32mb use FAT32 and if SDcard <32mb use
    FAT16.

  3. Re: How to fromat SD cards properly

    On Nov 4, 4:00 pm, Harold A Climer wrote:
    > I there a list of which versions of the OS for the 49G+ and 50G need
    > which type FAT 16 or 32 to upgrade the OS from an SD card? Also it has
    > been a while since I formatted a disk from the commnad line. Is it the
    > old MSDOS format command?
    > Harold A. Climer
    > Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    > University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    > 309 Grote Hall
    > 423-425-4546
    > Harold-Cli...@utc.edu

    i would use fat32 for both running the following ms-dos command (where
    F: is the mounted sd card drive)
    FORMAT F: /FS:FAT32 /Q

    but here is what my limited testing revealed...

    i started by using the calculator (50g) itself to format the sd card
    and then ran chkdsk against it using ms-dos to reveal that it was
    using RAW file system format. i then ran the fat32 format command
    listed above and copied hp50g applications over and my 50g calculator
    was still able to run them just fine.

    hope this helps. and here is the output from my ms-dos cmd window:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\>cd f:

    F:\>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is RAW.
    CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

    F:\>FORMAT F: /FS:FAT32 /Q
    Insert new disk for drive F:
    and press ENTER when ready...
    The type of the file system is RAW.
    The new file system is FAT32.
    QuickFormatting 968M

    Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
    Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
    Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
    Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?
    Format complete.

    1,011,482,624 bytes total disk space.
    1,011,478,528 bytes available on disk.

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    246,943 allocation units available on disk.

    32 bits in each FAT entry.

    Volume Serial Number is 5217-FE16

    F:\>

  4. Re: How to fromat SD cards properly

    plug-and-pray:

    Hello, i have just bought an SD card LG 512 MB. At the same time i
    bought the "SONY Multi-card reader/writer"
    Some things i noticed:

    The manual of the reader/writer says:
    "Only DOS format is supported. Memory cards in other formats are not
    supported"

    And it also says : " Do not format ( initialize ) memory cards with a
    computer, if you do, devices such as digital cameras may not be able
    to use it < ... > . If you use a digital camera, format the card with
    the camera instead"

    Well, i am using my sd card with HP49G+. After plugging the card into
    the hp i was a bit disappointed because the filer did not showed up
    the port :3: as it shoud. It turns out i had "plugged" the card upside-
    down , hehe.
    Then i plugged the card into the "sony reader/writer". Right clicking
    in the new drive H:, it says the format is FAT . I followed the
    instructions above and did not tried to format the card to anything
    else. Then i was able to copy a simple text file to the card. After
    that i plugged the card in the calculator ( correctly this time ) and
    Yay! i could see the port :3: and recall the contents of the file
    test.txt, which was a string saying "blah".
    Well, this was my adventure today. I dont intend to updated the
    calculator through the card ( I have used the software before and it
    has worked fine ) so i ask, can i let it formatted as it is, that is,
    "FAT" ?
    Bye.

  5. Re: How to fromat SD cards properly

    J.Chen wrote:

    > According to Mr. Jean-Yves Avenard
    > if SDcard >32mb use FAT32 and if SDcard <32mb use FAT16.

    Isn't that an explanation of how the calculator
    decides for itself how to format a card, if you let it,
    rather than advice for you to use when formatting on a computer?

    "Be careful when trying to quote the Bible" :-)

    There have been numerous (and very long) discussions over time:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...hp48&scoring=d

    Interesting points to look for:

    o Calculator delay varies with SD format (and cluster size).
    o ROM update can not be done on older calculators from FAT32 card.
    o Is FAT32 specific to MS-Windows? (don't most new cards come FAT16 formatted?)
    o Use MS-DOS format command for greatest control of formatting options.

    FWIW, what is the _smallest_ SD card you can now find in a store?

    -=-=-=-

  6. Re: How to fromat SD cards properly

    In article <4731955B.7040601@nyet.nyet>, Saturn rising wrote:
    >J.Chen wrote:
    >
    > > According to Mr. Jean-Yves Avenard
    > > if SDcard >32mb use FAT32 and if SDcard <32mb use FAT16.

    >Isn't that an explanation of how the calculator
    >decides for itself how to format a card, if you let it,
    >rather than advice for you to use when formatting on a computer?
    >
    >"Be careful when trying to quote the Bible" :-)
    >
    >There have been numerous (and very long) discussions over time:
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...hp48&scoring=d
    >
    >Interesting points to look for:
    >
    >o Calculator delay varies with SD format (and cluster size).
    >o ROM update can not be done on older calculators from FAT32 card.
    >o Is FAT32 specific to MS-Windows?

    No - if you want a portable disk to be as easily readable as possible by
    other OS'es as well, it should be FAT formattet: FAT-16 if it's small
    enough, otherwise FAT-32. The limit is somewhere around 0.5 to 1 GByte.

    >(don't most new cards come FAT16 formatted?)

    THe multi-Gigabyte cards are definitely *not* FAT-16-formatted !!!!

    >o Use MS-DOS format command for greatest control of formatting options.
    >
    >FWIW, what is the _smallest_ SD card you can now find in a store?

    16 MBytes! But they're not sold separately, instead you get them with
    e.g. a new digital compact camera you buy. I got another 16 MBytes SD
    card that way just a few weeks ago. Of course I get a much bigger SD
    card for the camera - but the 16 MBytes SD card is perfect for HP
    calculators!

    e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
    WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

  7. Re: How to fromat SD cards properly

    On 2007-11-08 01:13:19 +1100, pausch@saaf.se (Paul Schlyter) said:

    > 16 MBytes! But they're not sold separately, instead you get them with

    i have a 8MB card that i bought a few years back
    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

+ Reply to Thread