my first programming experience on the hp50g - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on my first programming experience on the hp50g - Hewlett Packard ; alright so i've got through writing and running some simple programs on the hp50g. i've only tried stuff in "reverse polish notation" mode (rpn) so if programs are different in "algebraic" mode i'd be curious to know the pros and ...

  1. my first programming experience on the hp50g

    alright so i've got through writing and running some simple programs
    on the hp50g.
    i've only tried stuff in "reverse polish notation" mode (rpn) so if
    programs are different in "algebraic" mode i'd be curious to know the
    pros and cons of each.

    how rpn seems to behave
    as i understand it, rpn mode is for pushing numbers on a stack and
    then performing operations and programs to the stuff on the stack.

    so if i type [2] [enter] [2] [enter]
    then i get a two line stack with the value 2 in each line of the stack

    [+] seems like an operator that pops the last two lines off the stack,
    adds them together and then pushes the result back to the stack
    resulting in the ans=4

    my understanding of writing a program on the hp50g
    this is my very basic understanding of programming the hp50g so please
    correct me or give me tips when needed.

    programs on the hp50g are grouped operations inside of << and >>
    symbols ([right-shift] [+] key) and each statement in the program is
    separated with a space ([SPC] key) or newline ([right-shift] [.] key)

    some simple programs that all evaluate to 4 are
    << 4 >>
    << 2 2 + >>
    << << 1 1 + >> EVAL << 1 1 + >> EVAL + >>

    to actually "run" the program on the last line of the stack just press
    the [EVAL] key

    something i didn't understand yet is if i evaluate this program on
    line 1 of the stack << 2 2 + >> then then number 4 replaces it. now
    if i hit [left-shift] [enter] (or [ANS]) i get a three line stack that
    looks like:

    4
    2
    2

    instead of

    4
    4

  2. Re: my first programming experience on the hp50g

    "ctrpapa" wrote in message
    news:1194131523.078276.136500@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    > some simple programs that all evaluate to 4 are
    > << 4 >>
    > << 2 2 + >>
    > << << 1 1 + >> EVAL << 1 1 + >> EVAL + >>
    >
    > to actually "run" the program on the last line of the stack just press
    > the [EVAL] key
    >

    > something i didn't understand yet is if i evaluate this program on
    > line 1 of the stack << 2 2 + >> then then number 4 replaces it. now
    > if i hit [left-shift] [enter] (or [ANS]) i get a three line stack that
    > looks like:
    >
    > 4
    > 2
    > 2
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > 4
    > 4

    ANS gives you back all your previous arguments
    of the last performed function
    see you manual about command LASTARG

+ Reply to Thread