    From: Jay Maynard
    Date: 2007/11/01 Thu AM 05:49:08 CST
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Bay Pointe Technology

    On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 05:26:20AM -0600, Joseph Dolliver wrote:
    > YOU CAN ALWAYS HIT THE DELETE BUTTON.

    This is the standard spammer's argument. The problem is that it doesn't
    scale. My system - with just a few users - rejected 10631 spams last week.
    Hitting delete that many times would take a substantial amount of my time,
    never mind the actual amount of time needed to look at each and decide that
    it's not worth reading. Just one second per message would have wasted nearly
    three hours, total.

    > First and foremost, Bob is a standup guy

    Standup guys don't spam.

    > and does not send junk to the list. His intention is to help.

    No doubt. Unfortunately, his method of helping is worse.
    --
    Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
    http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

    joseph dolliver
    e3k solutions , inc
    41630 marie court
    leonardtown, md 20650

  2. Re: Bay Pointe Technology

    (I fixed your quote. Please don't top-post.)

    On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:16:15AM -0600, Joseph Dolliver wrote:
    > Jay Maynard wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 05:26:20AM -0600, Joseph Dolliver wrote:
    > > > YOU CAN ALWAYS HIT THE DELETE BUTTON.

    > > This is the standard spammer's argument. The problem is that it doesn't
    > > scale. My system - with just a few users - rejected 10631 spams last week.

    > I can't imagine that you are SPAMMED in the 3000-l mail 10631 times.

    No, I wasn't. I was spammed that many times, period. (Plus the few hundred
    that made it past my spam filters.)

    It doesn't matter whether it was from this list or not. If everyone thinks
    "well, there's not much spam from this list, so a few more is okkay", then
    we're back in the same boat.

    Spam is *NEVER* okkay. Period. It is unacceptable, no matter who sends it,
    no matter in what forum, no matter for what purpose. Spammers are vile.
    Spamming should be considered as antisocial as any other form of theft.

    > Did you ever put a filter on your mail?

    Yes. That's why I didn't waste more time on deleting spam.

    That doesn't matter. No spam is acceptable, period.
    --
    Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
    http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
    Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

  3. Re: Bay Pointe Technology

    My .02 -

    Over 75% of the emails received at my company are SPAM. Yes, that
    number is correct.

    We pay for the bandwidth on those coming in, plus had to buy software
    and pay support on programs to filter them out before they get to the
    users. In spite of these measures, I still have some getting through to
    Exchange, where yet more filters exist.

    The email that started this chain WAS in my Junk folder. Does it bother
    me? Not really. At least it wasn't telling me how to make my
    girlfriend happier in bed with a size increase, or that OEM software is
    available for cheap pricing, or contained the "F-word" in the subject
    line. I shudder to think that my mother gets emails like that...no one
    deserves that kind of affront.

    It boils down to marketing. They can't sell their products if people
    don't know about them. Obviously, some people somewhere respond to
    these campaigns and the spammers move product, so they keep "casting out
    their nets" in the form if spam.

    If you want to stop it, stop buying these goods. Stop forwarding on
    these emails that are obviously crap; Bill Gates is NOT going to give
    everyone in the email history $1000 dollars as part of a test, Starbucks
    will not be sending everyone a $5 giftcard for participating, yadda
    yadda. If you must send these emails on, strip out the previous
    addresses and HIDE the addresses you are sending to (and don't include
    me!). Don't believe that the government is going to do something about
    it; this is an international problem, as proven by the number of Nigeria
    scams that have been sent to me.

    Unfortunately, most people are uninformed about spam tactics and end up
    giving out email addresses of friends and family without realizing it.
    All it takes is education about it.

    "But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong."