Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment - Hewlett Packard ; Raymond, I think we just unset the catalog to get around this (i.e. if showcatalog ;user=manager shows sysudc.pub.sys and nmcmdudc.pub.netbase, do a setcatalog sysudc.pub.sys;system). Do the purge and then setcatalog back (i.e. setcatalog sysudc.pub.sys,nmcndudc.pub.netbase;system) OR You might get away with ...

  1. Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment

    Raymond,

    I think we just unset the catalog to get around this (i.e. if showcatalog
    ;user=manager shows sysudc.pub.sys and nmcmdudc.pub.netbase, do a
    setcatalog sysudc.pub.sys;system). Do the purge and then setcatalog back
    (i.e. setcatalog sysudc.pub.sys,nmcndudc.pub.netbase;system)

    OR

    You might get away with a setjcw nbdisable=fatal, but this is doubtful as I
    think this has no effect on the UDC in effect. If you do try this, make
    sure you set it back when finished trying your purge with setjcw
    nbdisable=0.

    HTH
    Regards,

    Reid E. Baxter

    Raymond Familar
    AHOO.COM> To
    Sent by: HP-3000 HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Systems cc
    Discussion
    TC.EDU> [HP3000-L] MPEX purge in
    Shareplex/iX environment

    10/31/2007 03:36
    PM

    Please respond to
    Raymond Familar
    AHOO.COM>

    Hello.
    I am trying to select files for purge using the MODDATE file attribute in
    MPEX. I want to do this in a job. From a session, the command works for
    LISTF, but not for PURGE. I am thinking this is due to the NetBase UDC. I
    think I did this a while back, so there must have been a workaround, but I
    can't remember (this happens way too often, lately). Any ideas?

    %LISTF FILE####.PUB.SYS(MODDATE %PURGE FILE####.PUB.SYS(MODDATE
    Thanks.
    Ray

    and affiliates.

    copy format. Thank you.

    disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

  2. Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment

    If I remember correctly the NMCMDUDC checks if NBDISABLE=FATAL is set andpasses the command to the MPE purge if it is. Also be careful about unsetting your system catalog!! This will make you vulnerable during this execution and it means the system level logon UDC will not be set. Any users that logon will likely not get the proper environment depending on how your system is setup. Plus if the job stream crashes before it resets the catalog you will be left without it until you re-set it manually. There are so many reasons why setting the catalog is not a good solution to this problem.

    I have used the Netbase/MPE command interface and the MPEX/Netbase command interface and both work very well when setup correctly. They do allow you to purge files on the master or shadow and the file command is applied to both systems. I think you need NFA in order to execute the commands on the shadow.

    We need more information about the error you are getting in order to understand what this problem is. I believe the MPEX command YESPURGE bypasses theNetbase interface so using this will likely solve the problem without looking further into the Netbase interface issue.

    Joshua Johnson
    Consultant

[...]

    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for theindividual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

  3. Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment

    Joshua,

    I am confused as to why you would think that un-setting the Netbase
    provided UDC would "make you vulnerable during this execution and it means
    the system level logon UDC will not be set."

    I specifically stated:

    "I think we just unset the catalog to get around this (i.e. if showcatalog
    ;user=manager shows sysudc.pub.sys and nmcmdudc.pub.netbase, do a
    setcatalog sysudc.pub.sys;system). Do the purge and then setcatalog back
    (i.e. setcatalog sysudc.pub.sys,nmcndudc.pub.netbase;system)"

    This would effectively result in only the NMCMDUDC.PUB.NETBASE being unset
    at the system level. All other UDC's would remain set. Additionally, ALL
    current sessions would still be set to the UDC's that were in effect at the
    time of their respective logon. Only logons (either batch or interactive)
    that logon during the period that NMCMDUDC was unset would not have
    NMCMDUDC's associated to their job/session. For clarity, none of the
    entries in NMCMDUDC are 'option logon'.

    That said, you do not need NFA to utilize the provisioned commands within
    the NMCMDUDC either. As an example:

    Com4h001 (Master)

    showcatalog ;user=manager

    :showcatalog ;user=manager
    USER UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    MANUDC.PUB.SYS

    ACCOUNT UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    SNMPUDC.NET.SYS

    SYSTEM UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    LOGONUDC.PUB.SYS
    NMCMDUDC.PUB.NETBASE

    :nbdir
    NetBase Directory Program [10.00] Update 11 (C) QUEST Software 1987
    D> unload reblook
    File REBLOOK already exists. Purge (Y/N) yes
    D> exit
    rint reblook;page=0
    DIR NBD.DATA.NETBASE
    FILE MLAD502.MLA.ABLEPROD,COM4H001,COM4H003;CLOSE
    FILE MLAD503.MLA.ABLEPROD,COM4H001,COM4H003;CLOSE
    FILE MLAD0.MLADB.ABLEPROD,COM4H001,COM4H003
    FILE MLAD608.MLADB.ABLEPROD,COM4H001,COM4H003;CLOSE
    FILE BANNER.DATA.NETBASE,COM4H001,COM4H003;CLOSE
    FILE BANNER.DEMO.NETBASE,COM4H001,COM4H003
    FILE @.REID.NETBASE,COM4H001,COM4H003
    FILE SECURG.DATA.VESOFT,COM4H001,COM4H003;CLOSE
    PROGRAM @.PUB.BRADMARK;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.DISC;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.LPSTOOLS;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.LUND;NONB
    PROGRAM NBPOST.NB.NETBASE;NONB
    PROGRAM @.NFSPROG.NETBASE;NONB
    PROGRAM NBADAGER.PUB.NETBASE;NONB
    PROGRAM NBGENRL.PUB.NETBASE;NONB
    PROGRAM NBINST.PUB.NETBASE;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.NSD;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.ORBIT;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.REGO;NONB
    PROGRAM @.PUB.REGO;NONB
    PROGRAM TSMAIL.HPBIN.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM STRCNTL.NET.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM VTSERVER.NET.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM BACKREST.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM BPXLREST.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM CI.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM DBRESTOR.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM DBSCHEMA.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM DBSTORE.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM DBUTIL.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM ROADREST.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM STORE.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM TSTORE.PUB.SYS;NONB
    PROGRAM OCTUTIL.MPEXL.TELESUP;NONB
    PROGRAM @.@.TYM;NONB
    EXIT
    :build testfile.reid.netbase
    :listf testfile.reid.netbase,3
    ********************
    FILE: TESTFILE.REID.NETBASE

    FILE CODE : 0 FOPTIONS: BINARY,FIXED,NOCCTL,STD
    BLK FACTOR: 1 CREATOR : **
    REC SIZE: 256(BYTES) LOCKWORD: **
    BLK SIZE: 256(BYTES) SECURITY--READ : ANY
    EXT SIZE: 0(SECT) WRITE : ANY
    NUM REC: 0 APPEND : ANY
    NUM SEC: 0 LOCK : ANY
    NUM EXT: 0 EXECUTE : ANY
    MAX REC: 1023 **SECURITY IS ON
    FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    NUM LABELS: 0 CREATED : WED, OCT 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
    MAX LABELS: 0 MODIFIED: WED, OCT 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
    DISC DEV #: 1 ACCESSED: WED, OCT 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
    SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: **
    VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC

    Com4h003 (Shadow)

    :listf testfile.reid.netbase,3
    ********************
    FILE: TESTFILE.REID.NETBASE

    FILE CODE : 0 FOPTIONS: BINARY,FIXED,NOCCTL,STD
    BLK FACTOR: 1 CREATOR : **
    REC SIZE: 256(BYTES) LOCKWORD: **
    BLK SIZE: 256(BYTES) SECURITY--READ : ANY
    EXT SIZE: 0(SECT) WRITE : ANY
    NUM REC: 0 APPEND : ANY
    NUM SEC: 0 LOCK : ANY
    NUM EXT: 0 EXECUTE : ANY
    MAX REC: 1023 **SECURITY IS ON
    FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    NUM LABELS: 0 CREATED : WED, OCT 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
    MAX LABELS: 0 MODIFIED: WED, OCT 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
    DISC DEV #: 1 ACCESSED: WED, OCT 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
    SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: **
    VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC

    Com4h001 (Master)

    urge testfile.reid.netbase
    :

    Com4h003 (Shadow)

    :listf testfile.reid.netbase,3
    Non-existent file. (CIERR 907)
    :

    And to validate my earlier statement regarding unsetting the NMCMDUDC at
    the system level:

    showcatalog ;user=manager

    :showcatalog ;user=manager
    USER UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    MANUDC.PUB.SYS

    ACCOUNT UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    SNMPUDC.NET.SYS

    SYSTEM UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    LOGONUDC.PUB.SYS
    NMCMDUDC.PUB.NETBASE

    :setcatalog logonudc.pub.sys;system
    :showcatalog ;user=manager
    USER UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    MANUDC.PUB.SYS

    ACCOUNT UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    SNMPUDC.NET.SYS

    SYSTEM UDC CATALOG FILE NAMES:
    LOGONUDC.PUB.SYS

    So, all other UDC's set at the system level are still intact. 'nough
    said..... ;-)

    Regards,

    Reid E. Baxter

    Joshua Johnson
    CONSULTING.COM> To
    Sent by: HP-3000 HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Systems cc
    Discussion
    TC.EDU> Re: [HP3000-L] MPEX purge in
    Shareplex/iX environment

    10/31/2007 07:47
    PM

    Please respond to
    Joshua Johnson
    CONSULTING.COM>

[...]

  4. Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment

    Reid,

    I humbly apologize for misreading your post, for some reason I thought you were unsetting the SYSUDC which was presumably your system level logon udc,I was handing out candy and not paying attention as I walked back and forth from my couch! My bad, you are correct on this point.

    Of course current sessions/jobs would not be affected only new logons during the unset window. This is still a concern because it must be managed to make sure no jobs/sessions logon during that time which need the NMCMDUDC. In general I feel it is best not set catalogs within regular scheduled "production" job streams. It leaves the system incorrectly configured if something goes wrong with the job, system fails, etc. There are also security concerns to consider if this is a job running out of an application/production account.

    Yes of course you don't need NFA if you are only executing on the master, Imeant that you may need NFA to execute the purge on the shadow and have itapply to the master, then have that purge shadow back to your shadow system. It has been awhile since I did this so my memory is a bit fuzzy, thinking about it now I am quite certain this is the case. I have configured it this way in the past and it worked very well.

    Sorry for the confusion, I hope that clears it up. If not feel free to correct me again on any of this...:-)

    Joshua Johnson
    Consultant

> [...]

    think I did this a while back, so there must have been a workaround, but I
    can't remember (this happens way too often, lately). Any ideas?

    %LISTF FILE####.PUB.SYS(MODDATE %PURGE FILE####.PUB.SYS(MODDATE
    Thanks.
    Ray

    and affiliates.

    copy format. Thank you.

    disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for theindividual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

  5. Re: MPEX purge in Shareplex/iX environment

    You might work around the issue by not using MPEX or UDCs...

    $ find /YourAcct/YourGrp/FILE???? -mtime -120 -exec rm {} ";"

    Note, however, that the Posix wildcard above is matching more
    than just digits. Something like [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] might be
    more appropriate than the ???? selection. Also note that find
    will traverse subdirectories, if there are any below YourGrp,
    unless you add an option like "-level 0". You may also add an
    option like "-type f" in case you also expect subdirectories
    using names like FILE4711 ;-)

    Lars.