devctrl parameters question - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on devctrl parameters question - Hewlett Packard ; hi again, I think I need some help on understanding the parameters for the devctrl statement I have in a job stream for a backup job we run nightly. I see that the parms are for 'compression','eject' and 'load', right? ...

  1. devctrl parameters question

    hi again,

    I think I need some help on understanding the parameters for the devctrl
    statement I have in a job stream for a backup job we run nightly. I see that
    the parms are for 'compression','eject' and 'load', right? In my job, Ihave this
    statement:

    " !devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7,nochange,enable "

    Does this mean that there's no compression and eject is enabled? The 3rd
    command is not there. We noticed that when this job is completed, the green
    light is not on the drive. Is that because we don't have the 3rd
    parameter "online" ? I've never dealt with this before and was wonderingwhat
    you think. It's a matter of me not understanding the parameters.

    thanks!

  2. Re: devctrl parameters question

    If you PRINT DEVCTRL.MPEXL.TELESUP, you get the following in the beginning
    of the 74 line printout:

    PUB.SYSrint devctrl.mpexl.telesup
    parm Dev, Compression="Nochange", Eject="Nochange", Load="Nochange"
    Comment **************************************************
    Comment
    Comment Devctrl (Device Control Command)
    Comment
    Comment Parameter List:
    Comment
    Comment LDev - Logical Device Number (Required)
    Comment
    Comment Compress - [Enable | Disable | Nochange]
    Comment
    Comment Eject - [Enable | Disable | Nochange]
    Comment
    Comment Load - [Online | Offline | Nochange]
    Comment
    Comment **************************************************

    CDR Paul Edwards USNR Ret. HP 3000 Certified Consultant
    Paul Edwards & Associates
    1506 Estates Way Phone: (972) 242-6660
    Carrollton TX 75006 Cel : (214) 384-8728
    Email: pedwards@gte.net Web : www.peassoc.com
    I think I need some help on understanding the parameters for the devctrl
    statement I have in a job stream for a backup job we run nightly. I see
    that
    the parms are for 'compression','eject' and 'load', right? In my job, I
    have this
    statement:

    " !devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7,nochange,enable "

    Does this mean that there's no compression and eject is enabled? The 3rd
    command is not there. We noticed that when this job is completed, the green

    light is not on the drive. Is that because we don't have the 3rd
    parameter "online" ? I've never dealt with this before and was wondering
    what
    you think. It's a matter of me not understanding the parameters.

    thanks!

  3. Re: devctrl parameters question

    On Oct 31, 1:17 pm, mag wrote:

    > " !devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7,nochange,enable "
    >
    > Does this mean that there's no compression and eject is enabled? The 3rd
    > command is not there. We noticed that when this job is completed, the green
    > light is not on the drive. Is that because we don't have the 3rd
    > parameter "online" ? I've never dealt with this before and was wondering what
    > you think. It's a matter of me not understanding the parameters.

    Short answer. No. Compression remains in what ever state it was in
    before. And you were right, EJECT is enabled.

    The online parameter is to place an offline tape back online.

    Here is some more info...

    If you enter...
    :devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7
    Device = 7, Compression=Nochange, Eject=Nochange, Load=Nochange

    but if you enter..
    devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7 help

    America12 SYS, TEMP:devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7 help

    ******************* DEVCTRL SYNTAX ERROR ***********************

    Usage Syntax:
    DEVCTRL LDev COMPRESSION=Compress EJECT=Eject LOAD=Load where
    LDev - Logical Device Number (Required)
    Compress - [Enable | Disable | Nochange]
    Eject - [Enable | Disable | Nochange]
    Load - [Online | Offline | Nochange]

    ******************* DEVCTRL SYNTAX ERROR ***********************

    It is clearer.

    Compress - Now some tape drive have internal hardware compression
    (Most DDS (aka DAT) tapes do.) This is usually good to enable

    Eject - This is talking about the status of the tape after it
    completes writing.

    Load - This can be used to place a tape back online. (Assuming it
    hasn't been ejected)

    Here is one of my command files:

    :help loadtap7
    USER DEFINED COMMAND FILE: LOADTAP7.CMD.SYS

    DEVCTRL.MPEXL.TELESUP DEV=7 LOAD=ONLINE COMPRESSion=enable

    Mark Ranft
    Pro 3K

+ Reply to Thread