New release of Orpie rpn calculator program - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on New release of Orpie rpn calculator program - Hewlett Packard ; Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available at http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/ "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for efficiency ...

  1. New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    at http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/

    "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar
    to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific calculator
    functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."

    --

  2. Re: New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    dave wrote:
    > Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    > at http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/
    >
    > "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar
    > to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    > efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific calculator
    > functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."

    I now have this program running on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.1. Everything I've tested
    works except for the 'h' command (help), which I am now investigating.
    You will want to create a directory named '.orphie' in your home directory to make
    using the external editor feature work. Orpie is a nice piece of work!
    --

  3. Re: New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    On Sep 13, 10:05 am, dave wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    > > Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    > > athttp://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/

    > > "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar
    > > to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    > > efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific calculator
    > > functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."

    > I now have this program running on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.1. Everything I've tested
    > works except for the 'h' command (help), which I am now investigating.
    > You will want to create a directory named '.orphie' in your home directory to make
    > using the external editor feature work. Orpie is a nice piece of work!
    > --

    I take it that no Windoze version is available?

    Rich W

  4. Re: New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    richwood wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 10:05 am, dave wrote:
    >> dave wrote:
    >> > Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    >> > athttp://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/

    >> > "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar
    >> > to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    >> > efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific calculator
    >> > functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."

    >> I now have this program running on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.1. Everything I've tested
    >> works except for the 'h' command (help), which I am now investigating.
    >> You will want to create a directory named '.orphie' in your home directory to make
    >> using the external editor feature work. Orpie is a nice piece of work!
    >> --

    > I take it that no Windoze version is available?
    >
    > Rich W

    I don't know. But many *nix programs will run on Windows if built with cygwin
    which converts unix calls to windows calls. (I don't know how to build with
    cygwin any more). I abandoned windows quite a while ago in favor of a (to me)
    simpler and more secure programming environment (ie OpenBSD, now available in
    smp and 64-bit modes) which I can recommend highly).

    --

  5. Re: New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    On Sep 13, 7:40 am, dave wrote:
    > Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    > athttp://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/
    >
    > "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar
    > to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    > efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific calculator
    > functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."
    >
    > --

    Ack! What does 'For the Console" mean...???
    i was looking at the web page a little, and i noticed that it was
    utterly missing just about any information about this product, which
    is apparently... an HPxx calculator for a desk top computer... But
    WHAT computer... LINUX ( et al... )
    Then there was a bit about compiling the source code for Mac's, but if
    this were possible...???... why hasn't someone that knew what they
    were doing, already done that...???
    ( gawd! i hate computers...!!! )
    Thanx.

  6. Re: New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    TranslucentAmoebae wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 7:40 am, dave wrote:
    >> Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    >> athttp://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/
    >>
    >> "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is similar
    >> to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    >> efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific calculator
    >> functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."
    >>
    >> --

    > Ack! What does 'For the Console" mean...???

    This program runs in text mode only (no graphics).
    It can run in an xterm window X windows.

    > i was looking at the web page a little, and i noticed that it was
    > utterly missing just about any information about this product, which
    > is apparently... an HPxx calculator for a desk top computer...

    > But WHAT computer... LINUX ( et al... )

    The program can be compiled on any computer with a gcc compiler
    (any linux, *bsd, etc).

    > Then there was a bit about compiling the source code for Mac's, but if
    > this were possible...???... why hasn't someone that knew what they
    > were doing, already done that...???

    I have no idea, other than that the code was released on Friday.

    --

  7. Re: New release of Orpie rpn calculator program

    "dave" wrote in message
    news:OOCdnXuKTI3QEXbbnZ2dnUVZ_vqpnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > TranslucentAmoebae wrote:
    >> On Sep 13, 7:40 am, dave wrote:
    >>> Version 1.5.0 of the Orpie full-screen rpn calculator is now available
    >>> athttp://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/orpie/
    >>>
    >>> "Orpie is a fullscreen RPN calculator for the console. Its operation is
    >>> similar
    >>> to that of modern HP calculators, but data entry has been optimized for
    >>> efficiency on a PC keyboard. Features include extensive scientific
    >>> calculator
    >>> functionality, command completion, and a visible interactive stack."
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> Ack! What does 'For the Console" mean...???

    > This program runs in text mode only (no graphics).
    > It can run in an xterm window X windows.
    >
    >> i was looking at the web page a little, and i noticed that it was
    >> utterly missing just about any information about this product, which
    >> is apparently... an HPxx calculator for a desk top computer...

    >> But WHAT computer... LINUX ( et al... )

    > The program can be compiled on any computer with a gcc compiler
    > (any linux, *bsd, etc).

    have anyone tried it on the HPGCC compiler - for fun :-D

    >> Then there was a bit about compiling the source code for Mac's, but if
    >> this were possible...???... why hasn't someone that knew what they
    >> were doing, already done that...???

    > I have no idea, other than that the code was released on Friday.
    >
    >> ( gawd! i hate computers...!!! )
    >> Thanx.
    >>

    > --

+ Reply to Thread