Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?... - Hewlett Packard ; "Raymond Del Tondo" wrote in message news:f98bmp$89q$02$1@news.t-online.com... > Not too good compared to the first HP-48SX with ROM A, > which only had a handful of bugs in the first release... ....and as with the original HP 35, HP was ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?...

    "Raymond Del Tondo" wrote in message
    > Not too good compared to the first HP-48SX with ROM A,
    > which only had a handful of bugs in the first release...

    ....and as with the original HP 35, HP was replaced the HP-48SXes of anyone was
    was particularly bothered with the bugs; I exchanged my HP-48 way back then.

    > But the COS() Bug was known from the 33s ...
    > Even hp/Kinpo should have been aware of it,
    > at least if Cyrille forwarded the bug.

    Any decent program manager with a passing interest in calculator design would
    also at least think to Google "33s bugs" if he or she wasn't already
    intimately familiar with, e.g., hpmuseum.org.

    > From today's view, a machine like the 35s is not very complex.
    > The functions and features are less than those of an
    > HP-41 (12-24K ROM) or HP-42S (64K ROM) .
    > So it should be possible to debug the beast
    > to a certain level before release.

    Especially when you consider how much better the development tools are today;
    I imagine that the software is developed using desktop PC-based emulator , and
    if not, certainly using ROM emulators that let you "re-flash" a calculator
    prototype in a few seconds.

    In my opinion peoples' attitudes about the quality of the code they're
    developing is by far the most important single factor in creating reasonably
    bug-free code. Attitude comes for free, and is more powerful than any
    automated code checking tools can ever be.

    ---Joel

  2. Re: Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?...

    On Aug 6, 6:03 am, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:14:17 -0500, netsez wrote:
    > > The idea being...
    > > If you build a product that never fails,
    > > no one will ever need to buy another one!

    > Of course; no one who has an indestructable original HP35
    > has ever again bought another calculator,
    > but at least they paid $395 for the one they kept
    >
    > The ultimate (and highly entertaining) documentary about your point:
    >
    > "The Man in the White Suit"

    Great movie! I saw it when I was young!

  3. Re: Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?...

    On Aug 6, 2:05 pm, A.L. wrote:

    > There was his statement somewhere on the internet: "Yes, the project
    > failed, but methodology was correct"
    >
    > A.L.

    That is like the one a surgeon said, the patient died but the
    operation was a success!

  4. Re: Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?...

    On Aug 6, 7:13 am, A.L. wrote:

    > There are new "hot" methodologies - Extreme programming, Agile
    > Programming and such. The mantras are a) code first, think later, b)
    > design is waste of time, c) no documentation are needed - code is the
    > best documentation, d) client has no clue what he wants - the best
    > approach is to ignore him
    >
    > A.L.

    Don't forgot the Microsoft approach, don't trim bloated code, just
    tell people the software is more "sophisticated" so you must upgrade
    your CPU and buy more RAM.

  5. Re: Why new calculators will be not as good as old ones?...

    "Raymond Del Tondo" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > "A.L." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:30:03 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
    >> wrote:

    > But the COS() Bug was known from the 33s ...
    > Even hp/Kinpo should have been aware of it,
    > at least if Cyrille forwarded the bug.
    >

    > Maybe someone at 'hp' remembered the extremely embarrassing
    > first years of the 49g, and the useless first batch of the 48gII,
    > and pulled the emergency brake...
    >
    > Maybe someone recognized that some severe bug(s)
    > on the anniversary model would not shed a good light onto it.
    > And I'm not necessarily talking about the COS() bug,
    > because there are others, like the wrong index offset...
    >
    > From today's view, a machine like the 35s is not very complex.
    > The functions and features are less than those of an
    > HP-41 (12-24K ROM) or HP-42S (64K ROM) .
    > So it should be possible to debug the beast
    > to a certain level before release.
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > Raymond

    COS() bug?