Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, i made a small UserRPL script which asks for Variables with an INFORM and calculates a value, which is done with ->NUM. 'a*b*c*d' ->NUM Now my problem is that i want to return the formula with Variables (i read ...

  1. Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating

    Hi,
    i made a small UserRPL script which asks for Variables with an INFORM
    and calculates a value, which is done with ->NUM.

    'a*b*c*d' ->NUM

    Now my problem is that i want to return the formula with Variables (i
    read in INFORM) substituted and NOT evaluated, for instance, i read
    a=1 b=2 c=3 d=4 then i want to get returned:
    '1*2*3*4'
    and not
    24.

    I hope i put this problem across.

    Thanks for help,
    Max

  2. Re: Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating

    'A*B*C*D'
    'A=1'
    SUBST

    gives

    '1*B*C*D'

    I hope this helps

    Arnaud

  3. Re: Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating

    On Jun 26, 8:34 pm, Arnaud Amiel wrote:
    > 'A*B*C*D'
    > 'A=1'
    > SUBST
    >
    > gives
    >
    > '1*B*C*D'
    >
    > I hope this helps
    >
    > Arnaud

    not realy, i need it in a way where the UserRPL script can do it
    automatic, SUBST works good by hand, but how automatic?
    Thanks
    Max

  4. Re: Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating

    > not realy, i need it in a way where the UserRPL script can do it
    > automatic, SUBST works good by hand, but how automatic?
    > Thanks
    > Max

    Um, if you can use the command it can be put into userRPL.

    << 'A=1' SUBST 'B=2' SUBST 'C=3' SUBST 'D=4' SUBST >>

    However, perhaps you should use the | operator. 'A*B*C*D' { A 1 B 2
    C 3 D 4 } | --> '1*2*3*4'
    Build your list and then it is a single operation.

    TW

  5. Re: Hp 50g UserRPL: Substitute Variable in a formula with Number and Return without evaluating

    On Jun 26, 10:17 pm, TW wrote:
    > > not realy, i need it in a way where the UserRPL script can do it
    > > automatic, SUBST works good by hand, but how automatic?
    > > Thanks
    > > Max

    > Um, if you can use the command it can be put into userRPL.
    >
    > << 'A=1' SUBST 'B=2' SUBST 'C=3' SUBST 'D=4' SUBST >>
    >
    > However, perhaps you should use the | operator. 'A*B*C*D' { A 1 B 2
    > C 3 D 4 } | --> '1*2*3*4'
    > Build your list and then it is a single operation.
    >
    > TW

    Hi, thx,
    but the Chars i want to substitute have the same name as the Variables
    i got of INFORM,
    so if i try " | " it ends up like:
    'A*B*C*D' { A A B B C C D D } |
    and that doesnt work as " | " does the same as EVAL which ends up in
    calculating the value, at least here .

    Max

+ Reply to Thread