Emulator auto power off. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Emulator auto power off. - Hewlett Packard ; I am using the HP50 emulator on my PC w. ROM 1.24. Can I prevent the emulator screen from timing out and going blank? If yes, how? Thanks in advance for any help. Scott...

  1. Emulator auto power off.

    I am using the HP50 emulator on my PC w. ROM 1.24.

    Can I prevent the emulator screen from timing out and going blank?

    If yes, how?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Scott

  2. Re: Emulator auto power off.

    On Jun 21, 12:17 pm, svoi...@comcast.net wrote:
    > I am using the HP50 emulator on my PC w. ROM 1.24.
    >
    > Can I prevent the emulator screen from timing out and going blank?
    > > Scott

    1. Trap a chipmunk and confine it to the desktop with a suitable
    fence. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on the keyboard.

    2. Buy a time-lapse controller for cameras, set it to 4 minutes, and
    have it trigger a jackhammer to hit any key.

    3. Create a variable called TOFF. Put in a binary number consisting
    of 8192 (which is the number of clock ticks per second) and multiply
    it by the number of seconds and minutes you want before timeout. For
    instance, for one hour:
    8192 * 60 * 60 and then R->B to give you # 1C20000h (or # 29491200d).

    Regards,
    Bill

  3. Re: Emulator auto power off.

    On Jun 21, 10:59 am, Bill Markwick wrote:
    > On Jun 21, 12:17 pm, svoi...@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    > > I am using the HP50 emulator on my PC w. ROM 1.24.

    > > Can I prevent the emulator screen from timing out and going blank?
    > > > Scott

    > 1. Trap a chipmunk and confine it to the desktop with a suitable
    > fence. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on the keyboard.
    >
    > 2. Buy a time-lapse controller for cameras, set it to 4 minutes, and
    > have it trigger a jackhammer to hit any key.
    >
    > 3. Create a variable called TOFF. Put in a binary number consisting
    > of 8192 (which is the number of clock ticks per second) and multiply
    > it by the number of seconds and minutes you want before timeout. For
    > instance, for one hour:
    > 8192 * 60 * 60 and then R->B to give you # 1C20000h (or # 29491200d).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill

    You'll need to do a warmstart for the new timer to take effect.

  4. Re: Emulator auto power off.

    [preventing Emulator auto power off]

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:59:12 -0500, Bill Markwick wrote:

    > Create a variable called TOFF. Put in a binary number consisting
    > of 8192 (which is the number of clock ticks per second)
    > and multiply it by the number of seconds you want before timeout.
    > For instance, for one hour:
    > 8192 * 60 * 60 and then R->B to give you # 1C20000h (or # 29491200d).

    There seems to be a limit to how large a value can be used;
    I use #FFFFFFFh (28 bits) for "a long time" (over 9 hours

    An older limitation was said to have been fixed (really?),
    but apparently not completely, if at all:
    http://bugs.hpcalc.org/long_list.cgi?buglist=65
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ceff0683c7ae7a

    Old Emu48 patches for this were version-dependent,
    and also messed up ROM transfers, so best not to use them.

    Someone else suggested warmstarting;
    I don't know why, since if I merely change directories
    to places in which different TOFF values are stored,
    they each seem to take effect immediately.

    You can store a global TOFF value in HOME as a default.

    As a safety feature, even #0 defaults to about five seconds
    (it may take several of these intervals to do anything about it

    [r->] [OFF]

  5. Re: Emulator auto power off.

    > Someone else suggested warmstarting;
    > I don't know why, since if I merely change directories
    > to places in which different TOFF values are stored,
    > they each seem to take effect immediately.

    I just assumed that a warmstart was needed, or maybe turn off the
    machine, then turn it back on. Otherwise, one would have to assume
    that the machine is continually looking for that variable, which I
    didn't assume... or something like that...

  6. Re: Emulator auto power off.

    On Jun 21, 12:59 pm, Bill Markwick wrote:
    > On Jun 21, 12:17 pm, svoi...@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    > > I am using the HP50 emulator on my PC w. ROM 1.24.

    > > Can I prevent the emulator screen from timing out and going blank?
    > > > Scott

    > 1. Trap a chipmunk and confine it to the desktop with a suitable
    > fence. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on the keyboard.
    >
    > 2. Buy a time-lapse controller for cameras, set it to 4 minutes, and
    > have it trigger a jackhammer to hit any key.
    >
    > 3. Create a variable called TOFF. Put in a binary number consisting
    > of 8192 (which is the number of clock ticks per second) and multiply
    > it by the number of seconds and minutes you want before timeout. For
    > instance, for one hour:
    > 8192 * 60 * 60 and then R->B to give you # 1C20000h (or # 29491200d).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill

    Option # 1 won't work. I live in Minnesota and it violates the Gopher
    Union laws.
    Option # 2 won't work, as I often lower my head to the keyboard for a
    nap.
    Option # 3 works great!

    Thanks to all who responded.

+ Reply to Thread