Barcode reader for hp50 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Barcode reader for hp50 - Hewlett Packard ; I am searching to make HP50 read barcodes. Does someone have tried any hardware to do this using USB/Serial or SD interface. In my searchs I've found this product, that if it works sounds pretty good. http://www.socketmobile.com/products...ction/series3/ Thank you in ...

  1. Barcode reader for hp50

    I am searching to make HP50 read barcodes. Does someone have tried any
    hardware to do this using USB/Serial or SD interface.
    In my searchs I've found this product, that if it works sounds pretty
    good.

    http://www.socketmobile.com/products...ction/series3/

    Thank you in advance

  2. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    On Jun 20, 8:50 am, Maurizio wrote:
    > I am searching to make HP50 read barcodes. Does someone have tried any
    > hardware to do this using USB/Serial or SD interface.

    The 50G doesn't have SDIO compatible slots. It won't work. I'd
    recommend looking for a serial connectable reader.

    TW

  3. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    On Jun 20, 11:30 am, TW wrote:

    > The 50G doesn't have SDIO compatible slots.

    Yes it does.

    > It won't work.

    Don't be so sure. He would need to write his own drivers for it,
    although I believe if the manufacturer can provide him with C source
    code of some drivers, it would be possible to adapt them to work with
    the SDIO interface in the ARM chip (which is probably already
    supported, except the driver model is for WindowsCE). It's a lot of
    work, but certainly possible, It's all in how cooperative the
    manufacturer of the device is.

    > I'd recommend looking for a serial connectable reader.

    That would be simpler, but it would require cables, etc. Not nearly as
    elegant as the SDIO solution.

    Claudio

  4. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    > Yes it does.

    Well that is good to know. Was it always that way? Or did the 50
    change from the 49g+? Or is it just a matter of being connected to
    the CPU which supports it?

    TW

  5. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    > > Yes it does.
    >
    > Well that is good to know. Was it always that way? Or did the 50
    > change from the 49g+? Or is it just a matter of being connected to
    > the CPU which supports it?
    >
    > TW

    It was always there, it's just not supported by the current software

    manjo :-)
    P.S.
    my contrib. to the subject :-)
    regards Claudio
    (any good news?)

  6. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    "That would be simpler, but it would require cables, etc. Not nearly
    as
    elegant as the SDIO solution."

    But sadly i do not have the know how necesary to program at that
    level.
    I will have to search any serial reader that is compatible with HP50,
    and build a box that contain the calculator, the reader, and the
    cables that link both
    Any recomendations about readers, does the HP50 serial interface have
    special characteristics that i have to take in account..

    Thank you

    Maurizio

    Claudio

    On 21 jun, 07:33, "manjo" wrote:
    > > > Yes it does.

    > > Well that is good to know. Was it always that way? Or did the 50
    > > change from the 49g+? Or is it just a matter of being connected to
    > > the CPU which supports it?

    > > TW

    > It was always there, it's just not supported by the current software
    >
    > manjo :-)
    > P.S.
    > my contrib. to the subject :-)
    > regards Claudio
    > (any good news?)

  7. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    > I will have to search any serial reader that is compatible with HP50,
    > and build a box that contain the calculator, the reader, and the
    > cables that link both

    Or you can just buy the one I've already made. This would give you
    the option of using a bluetooth serial reader if it uses bluetooth
    serial port profile if so desired. This isn't really a "hobbiest"
    solution but it sounds like you are working on a product or
    something. If you are serious about it, we can talk about pricing.
    We have a case which allows the use of 3 separate serial devices and
    it is very easy to use and switch between them. I am wondering though
    if it wouldn't just be cheaper to buy an off the shelf reader rather
    than trying to make your own. Of course, that takes all the fun out
    of it. . . :-)

    http://pssllc.com/
    http://pssllc.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=11
    http://pssllc.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=18
    http://pssllc.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=15

    TW

  8. Re: Barcode reader for hp50

    Thanks Tim. The application that I wish to develop is a cheap data
    collector. Obviously the competition is a PDA or professional
    collectors, for example psion or unitech collectors.
    I have a software developed many years ago (her first version was
    working with a HP48G), for a system of a mobile POS (point of sale).
    To this system it would be useful to add it a barcode reader
    The system developed by you is very interesting but as you mention, it
    would be too expensive to this application, since I can find
    collectors at lower prices.

    Maurizio Faccio

    On 21 jun, 12:44, TW wrote:
    > > I will have to search any serial reader that is compatible with HP50,
    > > and build a box that contain the calculator, the reader, and the
    > > cables that link both

    > Or you can just buy the one I've already made. This would give you
    > the option of using a bluetooth serial reader if it uses bluetooth
    > serial port profile if so desired. This isn't really a "hobbiest"
    > solution but it sounds like you are working on a product or
    > something. If you are serious about it, we can talk about pricing.
    > We have a case which allows the use of 3 separate serial devices and
    > it is very easy to use and switch between them. I am wondering though
    > if it wouldn't just be cheaper to buy an off the shelf reader rather
    > than trying to make your own. Of course, that takes all the fun out
    > of it. . . :-)
    >
    > http://pssllc.com/http://pssllc.com/...h=3&products_i...
    >
    > TW

  9. Re: Barcode reader for hp50