hist - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on hist - Hewlett Packard ; Can anyone tell me the point of having a "hist" key when the "up" arrow does the same thing? Don't tell me it's for the edit screen, because upstk does the same thing as hist. All they did was remove ...

  1. hist

    Can anyone tell me the point of having a "hist" key when the "up"
    arrow does the same thing?
    Don't tell me it's for the edit screen, because upstk does the same
    thing as hist.

    All they did was remove the upstk and make hist a primary key, while
    making cst secondary.
    Anyone who thinks that is a move in the right direction has a problem.

    Cst belongs on the primary keyboard more than hist.

    I know people have said all this before, but I'm new here, and I'll
    reiterate it.

    Stefan

  2. Re: hist

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:45:05 -0500:

    > Can anyone tell me the point of having a "hist" key
    > when the "up" arrow does the same thing?

    Even in HP48G, cursor-up stopped doing this
    when the edit buffer was more than one line,
    although there was another STK[up] key in the
    EDIT menu [28], if you could still get to that menu, that is.

    > Don't tell me it's for the edit screen,
    > because upstk does the same thing as hist.
    >
    > All they did was remove the upstk and make hist a primary key,
    > while making cst secondary. Anyone who thinks that
    > is a move in the right direction has a problem.

    There exists a wider world out there, and in that world,
    there are people at higher levels who set the goals for products,
    and the goal set for the [forerunner] 49G was to challenge TI,
    by looking more like TI calcs, including
    a completely different mode called "Algebraic" mode,
    and the related introduction of the HIST key,
    which even in RPN mode is still always available,
    even when editing multi-line text,
    and no matter what other menu is being displayed.

    Of course, you don't need to use it.

    > CST belongs on the primary keyboard more than hist.

    Have you heard that the keyboard is redefinable by the user?

    > I know people have said all this before, but I'm new here,
    > and I'll reiterate it.

    "Here we go, around again..."

    "Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it."
    [George Santayana]

    "Get your facts first and then you can distort them as much as you wish."
    [Mark Twain]

    "My father was an amazing man. The older I got, the smarter he got."
    [Mark Twain]

    --

  3. Re: hist

    > Anyone who thinks that is a move in the right direction has a problem.

    I find it a move in the right direction. Have you noticed it works in
    forms? Go into a form somewhere and push HIST. You will be able to
    access the stack and echo contents into the form. Very useful once
    understood.

    TW

  4. Re: hist

    On Jun 19, 6:56 pm, TW wrote:
    > > Anyone who thinks that is a move in the right direction has a problem.

    > I find it a move in the right direction. Have you noticed it works in
    > forms? Go into a form somewhere and push HIST. You will be able to
    > access the stack and echo contents into the form. Very useful once
    > understood.
    >
    > TW

    yes, the same as upstk. I know what it does.

  5. Re: hist

    The OP is obviously not listening or even looking,
    since only HIST works in form fields, as TW noted.

    "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

    "Your attitude determines your altitude."

    "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it
    depends on what you put into it." [Tom Lehrer]

    --

  6. Re: hist

    On Jun 19, 9:31 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > The OP is obviously not listening or even looking,
    > since only HIST works in form fields, as TW noted.
    >
    > "There are none so blind as those who will not see."
    >
    > "Your attitude determines your altitude."
    >
    > "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it
    > depends on what you put into it." [Tom Lehrer]
    >
    > --

    upstk on the 48 was on soft menus. I am not talking about the up
    arrow key on the keyboard.

  7. Re: hist

    > upstk on the 48 was on soft menus. I am not talking about the up
    > arrow key on the keyboard.

    Of course. You are asking why HIST (UPSTK) was turned into a key
    since it was already on a key (up arrow). The answer is that a) it
    looks like a TI b) it is *very* nice to have available everywhere such
    as during editing, using forms, and so on. A menu key like in the 48
    isn't. . .

    TW

  8. Re: hist

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:54:44 -0500, odobo wrote:

    > upstk on the 48 was on soft menus.

    Only on menu 28 (the "Edit" menu),
    and that menu would only sometimes appear,
    whereas the HIST key is always present on the keyboard

    Pressing TOOL while editing brings up the new version
    of that same menu, but the [STK\|^] menu label is not included,
    perhaps because the HIST key is now always available.

    Although some people make elaborate user key assignments
    to include use during editing, I use my STARTED and EXITED
    programs to turn "user" mode off during editing,
    since the standard keyboard suits me fine for editing.

    Meanwhile, keys such as HIST, BEGIN, END, COPY, CUT, PASTE
    all seem to be crying out for something to do
    while not editing, so I give them something
    to make themselves more useful during that time,
    suspending all that stuff and going back to
    their standard functions only during editing.

    > I am not talking about the up-arrow key on the keyboard.

    Well, cursor-up also starts the "Interactive Stack" application anyway;
    it even used to do so in the 48 series unless one was editing
    a multi-line text, but that, too, has been replaced by the HIST key,
    now assumed to have obviated all the other original extra ways
    to get to the Interactive Stack application.

    One could ask, why not also have kept
    the original additional features as they were?

    But alas, "It's over, and can't be helped, and that's one consolation,
    as they always say in Turkey, when they cut the wrong man's head off"
    http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...rs/chap23.html

    --

  9. Re: hist

    > Only on menu 28 (the "Edit" menu),
    > and that menu would only sometimes appear,
    > whereas the HIST key is always present on the keyboard

    On the 48sx the upstck did not appear in every menu, because most
    menus, like plot, solve, and time had direct access to the stack.
    Upstk appeared in the edit menu because it was a separate screen.
    They had everything worked out so well.

  10. Re: hist

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:54:42 -0500, odobo wrote:

    > On the 48sx the upstck did not appear in every menu,
    > because most menus, like plot, solve, and time
    > had direct access to the stack.

    > Upstk appeared in the edit menu because it was a separate screen.
    > They had everything worked out so well.

    Whatever you are telking about must have been changed
    between 48SX and 48GX, because everything in the 48GX
    is still the same now, except that where there was
    a menu which was *sometimes* available for stack access,
    there is now a keyboard function which is *always*
    available for stack access, including even within screen forms,
    which was never available at all in the GX
    (screen forms themselves were introduced in the GX, however,
    having not existed at all in the SX).

    Even though screen forms were added to the GX, almost nothing
    was eliminated that the SX originally had. I know that the
    time adjustment menu (adding/subtracting hours, minutes
    and seconds) was dropped, but in fact you can create the
    same thing anyway in a user menu, so I would venture to say
    that there is not a thing that the SX can do which the 50G can't,
    and that the main problem is only adjusting to some slight
    re-arrangement of where to find everything,
    which apparently is so disconcerting.

    Meanwhile, a huge amount has been added,
    including find/replace/cut/copy/paste in the editor,
    a file manager, a catalog, more memory, many times the speed, etc.,
    which someday might be grugdingly appreciated
    as having been useful improvements

    [r->] [OFF]

  11. Re: hist

    > Meanwhile, a huge amount has been added,
    > including find/replace/cut/copy/paste in the editor,
    > a file manager, a catalog, more memory, many times the speed, etc.,
    > which someday might be grugdingly appreciated
    > as having been useful improvements
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    Yes, I appreciate the improvements on the 50g, and at least it's still
    rpl.

+ Reply to Thread