modes menu - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on modes menu - Hewlett Packard ; Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys, like in the 48sx on the 50g? I want the ability to switch coordinate and angle modes on the same menu screen. If anyone will recall on the 48sx, ...

  1. modes menu

    Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys, like in the 48sx
    on the 50g?

    I want the ability to switch coordinate and angle modes on the same
    menu screen.

    If anyone will recall on the 48sx, all six of deg, rad, grad, xyz,

    What moron is responsible for changing that?
    ....And who made the modes menu a window screen separate from the
    stack display?!?!?!

  2. Re: modes menu

    odobo wrote:
    > Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys, like in the 48sx
    > on the 50g?

    The MODES menu is still there, it is now a submenu of the PRG menu

    LS+EVAL NXT

    > ...And who made the modes menu a window screen separate from the
    > stack display?!?!?!

    I think they were trying to make it like RS+MODES on the 48G. The
    keyboard layout on the 49/50 is very poor (IMHO). It was a major factor
    in my decision not to purchase one.

  3. Re: modes menu

    On Jun 19, 12:40 pm, odobo wrote:
    > Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys, like in the 48sx
    > on the 50g?
    >
    > I want the ability to switch coordinate and angle modes on the same
    > menu screen.
    >
    > If anyone will recall on the 48sx, all six of deg, rad, grad, xyz,
    > r >
    > What moron is responsible for changing that?
    > ...And who made the modes menu a window screen separate from the
    > stack display?!?!?!

    I also have had some trouble adapting to my new 50g, which I purchased
    Sept 2006, after using a 48 series calculator since 1991. But now that
    I'm getting used to it, my 50g is BY FAR the best calculator I've ever
    owned, and I'm sure you'll eventually feel the same way; frustration
    can be a good teacher (as well as Mr Meyers, Manjo, VPN, and other
    great folks here).

    In answer to your question, the MODE key (second row, second key from
    the left) has all the information you are looking for in ONE screen
    with the addition of ALG/RPN (choose). If you look, you will see: ALG/
    RPN (choose), Number format (Choose + number of digits (another
    choose), Angle measure (choose), Coordinate System (choose), Beep (on/
    off), Key click (on/off), Last stack (on/off), FM (Fraction Mark) as a
    comma (on/off). Personally, I think it could use the addition of Last
    Arguments (on/off), Undo (on/ff), Command Stack (on/off), and Base
    (choose), based on the PRMD command found in the 28 series calculator.

    At the bottom of the MODE screen is even more stuff. From Flags to
    DISP settings as well as CAS settings.

    I think you'll find the 50g to be an extremely versatile and powerful
    machine, making all other calculators look like pieces of purple, sour
    owl guano.

    Most of all, have fun exploring your new machine! (I sure have and
    still am!)

  4. Re: modes menu

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:40:27 -0500, odobo wrote:

    > Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys,
    > like in the 48sx on the 50g?
    >
    > I want the ability to switch coordinate and angle modes
    > on the same menu screen.
    >
    > If anyone will recall on the 48sx,
    > all six of deg, rad, grad, xyz, r

    > What moron is responsible for changing that?

    HAL: "It can only be attributable to human [user] error."

    "Engage brain before putting mouth in gear."

    > ...And who made the modes menu a window screen
    > separate from the stack display?!?!?!

    Any change (in basic menus and numbering)
    occurred between HP48S and HP48G,
    rather than between HP48G series and current 49G[+]/50G series,
    in which the old 48G menu numbers are still preserved.

    The addition of *additional* GUI-like interfaces
    did not in fact remove any of the original interfaces,
    so I guess they were actually smarter than average morons;
    they've even produced some manuals with tables of contents,
    indexes, even many pictures for those who need them,
    and I wonder whether these have yet been looked at?

    65 MENU is what you're looking for, or PRG NXT MODES ANGLE

    "Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this.
    I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly,
    take a stress pill, and think things over."

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes

    --

  5. Re: modes menu

    On Jun 19, 4:21 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:40:27 -0500, odobo wrote:
    > > Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys,
    > > like in the 48sx on the 50g?

    > > I want the ability to switch coordinate and angle modes
    > > on the same menu screen.

    > > If anyone will recall on the 48sx,
    > > all six of deg, rad, grad, xyz, r > > What moron is responsible for changing that?

    > HAL: "It can only be attributable to human [user] error."
    >
    > "Engage brain before putting mouth in gear."
    >
    > > ...And who made the modes menu a window screen
    > > separate from the stack display?!?!?!

    > Any change (in basic menus and numbering)
    > occurred between HP48S and HP48G,
    > rather than between HP48G series and current 49G[+]/50G series,
    > in which the old 48G menu numbers are still preserved.
    >
    > The addition of *additional* GUI-like interfaces
    > did not in fact remove any of the original interfaces,
    > so I guess they were actually smarter than average morons;
    > they've even produced some manuals with tables of contents,
    > indexes, even many pictures for those who need them,
    > and I wonder whether these have yet been looked at?
    >
    > 65 MENU is what you're looking for, or PRG NXT MODES ANGLE
    >
    > "Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this.
    > I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly,
    > take a stress pill, and think things over."
    >
    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes
    >
    > --

    And yet another way to access the menu you seek...

    LS (hold) MODE ANGLE

  6. Re: modes menu

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:40:27 +0200, odobo wrote:

    > Is there any way to put the "modes" menu on softkeys, like in the 48sx
    > on the 50g?
    >
    > I want the ability to switch coordinate and angle modes on the same
    > menu screen.
    >
    > If anyone will recall on the 48sx, all six of deg, rad, grad, xyz,
    > r >
    >

    > What moron is responsible for changing that?
    > ...And who made the modes menu a window screen separate from the
    > stack display?!?!?!

    Actually, it's still all there...

    In RPN mode type
    65.01 MENU

    This, written in RPL
    \<< 65.01 MENU \>>
    can easily be assigned to a key.

    If you need to determine the "number" of a menu (like 65.01 above):
    Try to find the menu with the keyboard or with CAT, make it active
    and enter RCLMENU. This will return the number assigned to this menu.

    You may wish to take a look at Wolfgang Rautenbergs famous tools
    "OT49" and "Keyman". They will save a lot of typing and thinking.

    BTW.: Setting flag 117 will give you soft menus instead of choose-boxes...

    Axel

  7. Re: modes menu

    On 20 Giu, 01:21, "John H Meyers" wrote:

    > "Engage brain before putting mouth in gear."

    Nominee for the best reminder of year 2007!
    And the winner is..... :-D

    Best regards.
    Giancarlo