Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+ - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+ - Hewlett Packard ; I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip instead of just pressing Enter. I understand that there is risk of killing the ...

  1. Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+

    I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade
    the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip
    instead of just pressing Enter.

    I understand that there is risk of killing the calculator, but...

  2. Re: Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:29:34 -0500, Antti Louko wrote:

    > I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade
    > the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip
    > instead of just pressing Enter.

    Do you mean after a ROM update?

    How often do you perform ROM updates?
    (will there ever be another one?)

    SD card root directory handling for ROM update
    also changed slightly, but basically,
    the only observable differences
    are in areas hardly ever invoked (perhaps never again),
    and offer only miniscule change.

    > I understand that there is risk of killing the calculator, but...

    That's probably why HP doesn't offer a boot loader update.

    How many calcs have no internal serial number nowadays?
    (i.e. SERIAL returns a bunch of hex 255 characters);
    that would be another effect of re-branding the cow
    with only one of the irons

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:29:34 -0500, Antti Louko wrote:

    > I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade
    > the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip
    > instead of just pressing Enter.

    I forgot to say that you could also just pop out a battery for a moment,
    instead of looking for a paper clip.

    If there are any calculator owners at a refinery where I once worked,
    this could come in very handy, because they didn't seem to use
    paper clips anywhere in that entire refinery -- I searched
    numerous offices, trying to find one to open an attache case
    I'd brought along without a key, knowing that any
    paper clip would work, and it was most shocking
    to discover that it was like being stranded on Apollo 13
    and finding no spare CO2 scrubbing canister that fit ;-)

    http://history.nasa.gov/SP-350/ch-13-4.html

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:29:34 +0200, Antti Louko wrote:

    > I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade
    > the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip
    > instead of just pressing Enter.
    >
    > I understand that there is risk of killing the calculator, but...

    Well, if you are not afraid of opening up your calc, 6 wires attached
    to the JTAG port will give you full access to the flash chip, no matter
    what state the processor or flash-memory is, or was, in.
    "Killing your calculator" simply becomes "mental arithmetic temporarily
    required, while programming...".

    But, what for?
    I suppose you are not working at John's old refinery, where paper
    clips seem to be very, very rare...
    Furthermore, summer is on its way, even in .fi.
    Now, take off your gloves and reach for that battery =)

    Seriously, I don't get your problem if this is really related,
    only to the reset behaviour after a ROM upgrade...

    Axel

  5. Re: Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+

    On Jun 18, 1:29 pm, Antti Louko wrote:
    > I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade
    > the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip
    > instead of just pressing Enter.
    >
    > I understand that there is risk of killing the calculator, but...

    There is no way to flash the first 16KB of the ROM via HP provided
    methods.
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....15ab7e57dd2e51

    I'm also looking for an app to flash the whole thing... or maybe I'll
    write one.

    Matt

  6. Re: Upgrading the boot sector of an old HP 49g+

    "Matt Rohloff" wrote in message
    news:1182318674.855556.302390@n15g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Jun 18, 1:29 pm, Antti Louko wrote:
    >> I know that this is dangerous but: Could anyone tell how to upgrade
    >> the boot sector of HP 49g+? The old boot loader needs paper clip
    >> instead of just pressing Enter.
    >>
    >> I understand that there is risk of killing the calculator, but...

    > There is no way to flash the first 16KB of the ROM via HP provided
    > methods.
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....15ab7e57dd2e51
    >
    > I'm also looking for an app to flash the whole thing... or maybe I'll
    > write one.
    >
    > Matt

    There is, but only 4 the old 49G
    and you need a special ROM and a special script
    (and luck: check batteries, etc..)

+ Reply to Thread