50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, After building my own serial interface, I started a series of tests. It turns out that as I guessed in a previous thread, there is no reason why the calculator cannot communicate at 1200 bauds. I still cannot understand ...

  1. 50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible

    Hello,
    After building my own serial interface, I started a series of tests.
    It turns out that as I guessed in a previous thread, there is no
    reason why the calculator cannot communicate at 1200 bauds.
    I still cannot understand the absurd and arbitrary decision of
    dropping compatibility with those lower speeds. In any case, I'm not
    writing this post to complain, but to bring a simple solution:

    Write the following program, it requires library 256 to be attached:

    << 16. * 48000000. / INV 0. RND 1. - R->B ->H 11. 18. SUB #07500028h
    SWAP POKEARM >>

    [replace the <<, >>, -> symbols with the proper ones]

    I'll assume it was stored with the name 'SETSPEED'.

    To use it, simply set all parameters to establish a serial
    communication at any speed, then go back to the calculator stack and
    execute:

    OPENIO
    1200 SETSPEED

    (where SETSPEED obviously calls the program given above)

    >From now on, all communications will happen at 1200 bauds (or any

    other arbitrary speed). It will work at your selected speed until the
    port is closed with CLOSEIO.
    Luckily, the Transfer application doesn't touch the port if it's
    already open, so it will work even when using the nice UI to transfer
    files (the screen will show the speed you had selected before, simply
    disregard since SETSPEED overrides the speed at a much lower level and
    the UI is not aware of that).

    I tested it transferring a directory at 110 bauds, 300 bauds, 1200
    bauds and it worked fine. I didn't wait for the transfer to finish at
    110 bauds because in Kermit mode it was transferring 4 bytes per
    second (my dir was 8kbytes), that's more than what my patience can
    take for now.

    Regards,
    Claudio

  2. Re: 50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:56:12 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > OPENIO
    > 1200 SETSPEED [using simple provided program]

    Wow! I hope HP gives you a commission on all the extra HP50G sales
    which you just made possible!

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: 50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:56:12 -0700, Claudio Lapilli
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >After building my own serial interface, I started a series of tests.
    >It turns out that as I guessed in a previous thread, there is no
    >reason why the calculator cannot communicate at 1200 bauds.
    >I still cannot understand the absurd and arbitrary decision of
    >dropping compatibility with those lower speeds. In any case, I'm not
    >writing this post to complain, but to bring a simple solution:
    >
    >Write the following program, it requires library 256 to be attached:
    >
    ><< 16. * 48000000. / INV 0. RND 1. - R->B ->H 11. 18. SUB #07500028h
    >SWAP POKEARM >>
    >
    >[replace the <<, >>, -> symbols with the proper ones]
    >
    >I'll assume it was stored with the name 'SETSPEED'.
    >
    >To use it, simply set all parameters to establish a serial
    >communication at any speed, then go back to the calculator stack and
    >execute:
    >
    >OPENIO
    >1200 SETSPEED
    >
    >(where SETSPEED obviously calls the program given above)
    >
    >>From now on, all communications will happen at 1200 bauds (or any

    >other arbitrary speed). It will work at your selected speed until the
    >port is closed with CLOSEIO.
    >Luckily, the Transfer application doesn't touch the port if it's
    >already open, so it will work even when using the nice UI to transfer
    >files (the screen will show the speed you had selected before, simply
    >disregard since SETSPEED overrides the speed at a much lower level and
    >the UI is not aware of that).
    >
    >I tested it transferring a directory at 110 bauds, 300 bauds, 1200
    >bauds and it worked fine. I didn't wait for the transfer to finish at
    >110 bauds because in Kermit mode it was transferring 4 bytes per
    >second (my dir was 8kbytes), that's more than what my patience can
    >take for now.
    >

    >Regards,
    >Claudio

    Great work, Claudio! Bravo! You've just significantly enhanced the
    hp50 for me. Thank you v-e-r-y much!

    -Dot-

  4. Re: 50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible

    On Jun 16, 6:56 pm, Claudio Lapilli wrote:
    <...>

    > It turns out that as I guessed in a previous thread, there is no
    > reason...

    In the rush, I forgot the link. For completeness, here's the original
    thread:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....11bdbca2233763

    Claudio

  5. Re: 50G Serial port - 1200 bauds possible

    Claudio Lapilli wrote:
    > Hello,
    > After building my own serial interface, I started a series of tests.
    > It turns out that as I guessed in a previous thread, there is no
    > reason why the calculator cannot communicate at 1200 bauds.
    > I still cannot understand the absurd and arbitrary decision of
    > dropping compatibility with those lower speeds.

    Indeed, most often, we'd like higher speeds, but for external I/O,
    we have to settle for a bit rate that both devices can use.

    > In any case, I'm not
    > writing this post to complain, but to bring a simple solution:
    >
    > Write the following program, it requires library 256 to be attached:

    Actually, although it does require that the development library be
    attached for compiling (when the ENTER key is pressed, or an ASCII
    file is downloaded), once compiled, it will work the same even
    without the development library attached.

    Other than that, without the development library attached, the
    menu 256 keys can be used for non-programmable operations,
    although not for programmable commands.

    > << 16. * 48000000. / INV 0. RND 1. - R->B ->H 11. 18. SUB #07500028h
    > SWAP POKEARM >>
    >
    > [replace the <<, >>, -> symbols with the proper ones]

    Thank you for the very valuable contribution.

    --
    Regards,
    James

+ Reply to Thread