Configuration settings for Emu48 as shipped with Debug4x - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Configuration settings for Emu48 as shipped with Debug4x - Hewlett Packard ; I have discovered that when open the default instance EMU50, download, store and attach a library, but say NO to "do you want to save changes?" when I close it, the custom changes remain when I open the default configuration ...

  1. Configuration settings for Emu48 as shipped with Debug4x

    I have discovered that when open the default instance EMU50, download,
    store and attach a library, but say NO to "do you want to save
    changes?" when I close it, the custom changes remain when I open the
    default configuration again.

    The *.e49 default files in question do not seem to change--at least
    their time stamp doesn't. I have tried to locate the most recently
    changed files after a use of EMU50 or EMU49G+, but I am at a loss to
    guess where such changes are stored. I am guessing somewhere in the
    bowels of the registry.

    The free-standing version of EMU48 doesn't behave this way. I believe
    that the version that ships with Debug4x has been customized in some
    way. Could someone enlighten me how? The one thing that I always liked
    about the standalone Emu48 is that it doesn't seem to make much of a
    footprint on the computer. If the Debug4x-modified version makes
    registry changes or stores configuration info in some sort of *.ini or
    *.cfg file that I can't find, it would be nice to find it!

    TIA,

    Les

  2. Re: Configuration settings for Emu48 as shipped with Debug4x

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:15:29 -0500, lcw1964 wrote:

    > I have discovered that when open the default instance EMU50, download,
    > store and attach a library, but say NO to "do you want to save
    > changes?" when I close it, the custom changes remain when I open the
    > default configuration again.
    >
    > The *.e49 default files in question do not seem to change--at least
    > their time stamp doesn't.

    AFAIK:

    The RAM files update time stamps when changed, ROM files don't
    (neither does SHARED.BIN, or whatever name may be used
    for the file holding the HP48 slot 2 card image, when used).

    The question "save changes" applies to the RAM file only;
    the ROM/SHARED files are updated in real time
    (even though their time stamps aren't changed).

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: Configuration settings for Emu48 as shipped with Debug4x

    [about real-time changes to ROM, upon saving a library to port 2,
    not being reflected in updating the ROM file modification time]

    The reason why Emu48 ROM file time stamps are not updated,
    according to the author of Emu48, is because of
    the use of so-called "memory mapped files."

    On "memory mapped files" the time stamp information
    is not updated by the OS.

    Topic search on Google:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=memor...ification+time

    Emu48 does not store RAM file changes (including ports 0-1)
    until actually saved, however, allowing both crash recovery
    and Edit > [RAM] Backup > Save/Restore, which is done
    by holding a copy of the RAM image in computer memory,
    not on disk, until saved, much like normal editing
    of a document.

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: Configuration settings for Emu48 as shipped with Debug4x

    "lcw1964" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1182028529.260505.142600@o61g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > [..]

    > The free-standing version of EMU48 doesn't behave this way. I believe
    > that the version that ships with Debug4x has been customized in some
    > way. Could someone enlighten me how? The one thing that I always liked
    > about the standalone Emu48 is that it doesn't seem to make much of a
    > footprint on the computer. If the Debug4x-modified version makes
    > registry changes or stores configuration info in some sort of *.ini or
    > *.cfg file that I can't find, it would be nice to find it!

    Saving places of the Emu48 configuration data:

    - my stand alone distribution without Apple support

    "File Emu48.ini in Windows directory"

    this may changed in future by using "HKCU\Software\Emu48"

    - special builds of Emu48 with default registry using

    "HKCU\Software\Emu48"

    - Debug4x distribution (Emu48+ stand alone & DLL)

    "HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard\Debug4x\Emu48"

    Cheers

    Christoph

+ Reply to Thread