The HP 35S has arrived... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on The HP 35S has arrived... - Hewlett Packard ; Just noticed another thing: >> Being a right hander I find having the LAST KEY I usually press >> (the arithmetic keys) on the left hand side very inefficient... It strikes me how typically modern a habit this is, just ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

  1. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    Just noticed another thing:

    >> Being a right hander I find having the LAST KEY I usually press
    >> (the arithmetic keys) on the left hand side very inefficient...

    It strikes me how typically modern a habit this is, just like
    corporations keeping only the last line of their most recent
    quarterly report in focus, forgetting all other perspective

    --

  2. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    Raymond Del Tondo wrote:
    > If the 35s is real, it'll be the 2nd remarkable machine from the new 'hp',
    > after the 12c Anniversary Edition.

    Hopefully the third will be a 15C Anniversary Edition. Still haven't
    recovered from losing that one. The calc that started my HP odyssey

  3. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    David wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the 35s keyboard is like the 41cv? It looks similar.
    > Anyone know the price yet? What the heck I'll buy one anyway.

    I'd expect the keys to feel very similar to the 12C Platinum.

    Regards,
    --
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey

  4. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

  5. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    wrote in message
    news:1180390796.945800.239040@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    > The new HP35S (the HP 35 35th anniversary model) has arrived:
    > http://www.calculators-hp.com/35s.html
    >
    > and it looks supurb!
    >
    > Dave.

    For those who didn't see this on the hpmuseum forum, simply go to www.hp.com
    and type in 35s in the SEARCH box and the first link will be this:

    http://h40047.www4.hp.com/certificat...reg_R1002_USEN

    Bob

  6. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    news.hp.com wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > they are already some early adopters:
    >
    > http://hpmad.homeip.net/nicolas/2007...%20problem.JPG
    > http://hpmad.homeip.net/nicolas/2007...est%20toys.JPG

    Now that's what I consider to be one lucky kid!

    Did he have to sign an NDA first?

    Congratulations, Daddy!

    --
    Regards,
    James

  7. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    On May 29, 6:09 am, Giancarlo
    wrote:
    > On 29 Mag, 13:03, ppeb wrote:
    >
    > > It looks good. I will get one. It only lacks one big thing: I/O. How
    > > soon will we see a USB or serial port hacked in?

    > Hi.
    > I think that providing some I/O would prevent the calc from being
    > accepted in many tests and exams, so maybe HP wouldn't run the risk of
    > loosing a slice of the market...
    > Just a thought.
    > Best regards.
    > Giancarlo

    Who cares about it being accepted in exams? I'm talking about a major
    extension to its usefulness by having offline storage capability, not
    to mention sharing programs with other users.

    Brian Walsh

  8. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    On May 29, 6:46 pm, "news.hp.com" wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > they are already some early adopters:
    >
    > http://hpmad.homeip.net/nicolas/2007...%20gave%20me%2...
    >
    > cyrille

    Awesome spy photos. Is that a piece of tape covering up a multi-pin
    connector, a memory card slot, an IR port?? Or is it unidirectional
    bonding strip for securing the 35s to the play thingy?

    Anyway, thanks for the nice side views. I know dims have been
    published, but I haven't actually taken the time to look at a ruler. I
    thought the 35s might be thicker (bricker?). It looks nice and slim in
    those photos.

    Oh, I almost forget. Cute kid. Although he looks pretty serious in
    that first picture..

    Cheers,
    Pal

    PS - Dear HP, thanks for releasing the 35s. I only need one, but I'll
    buy two just so you know I'm serious about new "proper HP models".
    Btw, now I know how all those Ford Mustang people feel about the new
    retro stangs.

  9. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    altzone@gmail.com wrote:
    > The new HP35S (the HP 35 35th anniversary model) has arrived:
    > http://www.calculators-hp.com/35s.html
    >
    > and it looks supurb!
    >
    > Dave.

    It could have done with an SD slot and about four times the memory. *If*
    it has a excellent keyboard it would be my first choice of calc for
    number crunching, going to get two regardless.
    Does anybody know about the programming (RPL)? It would be a pain if it
    was the same as the original, would relegate it 2 a novelty.
    Mick C

  10. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    news.hp.com wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > they are already some early adopters:
    >
    > http://hpmad.homeip.net/nicolas/2007...%20problem.JPG
    > http://hpmad.homeip.net/nicolas/2007...est%20toys.JPG
    >

    > cyrille

    Thanks child abuse, give him a 50g lol.
    No seriously cute kid.
    Mick C

  11. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    "news.hp.com" wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > they are already some early adopters:

    My opinion was that young people buy TI or Casio. I'm happy to be wrong.

  12. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    It seems the HP 35S was retired from http://www.calculators-hp.com/index.html
    ?

    Any other news?

  13. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    "lacro" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1180540098.482778.222280@m36g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > It seems the HP 35S was retired from
    > http://www.calculators-hp.com/index.html
    > ?
    >
    > Any other news?

    Maybe it has been removed from the index page,
    but the page itself is already there:
    http://www.calculators-hp.com/35s.html

    HTH

  14. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    "ppeb" wrote in message
    news:1180492146.903470.82640@p47g2000hsd.googlegro ups.com...
    > Who cares about it being accepted in exams?

    Anyone who wants HP to keep making calculators. The "high end" line of HP
    calculators (such as the 50g) probably don't begin to generate enough revenue
    for HP to keep a calculator division around -- they need the revenues from the
    lower-end calculators, and being able to sell those is largely contingent upon
    them not being so powerful that they're banned from exams and the large
    student market quits buying them.

    > I'm talking about a major
    > extension to its usefulness by having offline storage capability, not
    > to mention sharing programs with other users.

    Why not just get a 50g?

    I agree it's a little tedious, but people were typing in calculator and
    computer programs from printed books and magazines long before "memory card"
    was a word in most people's vocabulary.

  15. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    Does anyone know the ballpark price it'll be?

  16. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 11:30:11 -0500, Joel Kolstad wrote:

    > I agree it's a little tedious,
    > but people were typing in calculator and computer programs
    > from printed books and magazines long before "memory card"
    > was a word in most people's vocabulary.

    I'm sure I still have a printed book of "keystroke programs"
    for the original (non-programmable) HP35
    (not handy enough to dig out, however);
    who compiled that book? Was it some chap named Horn?

    --

  17. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    On May 30, 10:30 am, "Joel Kolstad"
    wrote:
    > "ppeb" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1180492146.903470.82640@p47g2000hsd.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > Who cares about it being accepted in exams?

    > Anyone who wants HP to keep making calculators. The "high end" line of HP
    > calculators (such as the 50g) probably don't begin to generate enough revenue
    > for HP to keep a calculator division around -- they need the revenues from the
    > lower-end calculators, and being able to sell those is largely contingent upon
    > them not being so powerful that they're banned from exams and the large
    > student market quits buying them.

    To reiterate, I believe the need exists for a 35s with I/O.

    > > I'm talking about a major
    > > extension to its usefulness by having offline storage capability, not
    > > to mention sharing programs with other users.

    > Why not just get a 50g?

    Although the 50g is something many can consider purchasing, it isn't
    the tool of choice, a classic RPN keystroke programmable machine is.
    If you attended CHIP meetings here in Chicago you would understand.
    There is a strong demand for a follow on to the 41/42S/15C.

    > I agree it's a little tedious, but people were typing in calculator and
    > computer programs from printed books and magazines long before "memory card"
    > was a word in most people's vocabulary.

    "Memory cards" didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago. An HP-25 was a pain to
    re-program each time it was turned on, and it only had 49 steps of
    program memory. Ask anyone who lost memory contents of an HP 28C, much
    less a 28S, how much work it was to re-enter everything because it had
    no I/O (just "Oh!").

    To paraphrase the Disney's Seven Dwarves, "I/O, I/O, it's off to work
    we go."

    Brian Walsh

  18. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    Hi John,

    "John H Meyers" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    newsp.ts28qlpjnn735j@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu...
    > [looking back into history, having collected enough truly fine calcs
    > for my tomb, for reliable navigation in the after-life :]
    >
    > On Tue, 29 May 2007 03:25:03 -0500, Raymond Del Tondo wrote:
    >
    >> At least it looks very promising, modern retro style
    >> with ENTER bar and arithmetic keys where they belong.

    > I suppose by "arithmetic keys where they belong,"
    > you mean one row lower down, rather than above ENTER ?

    I meant both.
    Putting the ENTER key on the down right pos was a stupid idea IMHO,
    because this broke the numeric/arithmetic key square,
    since the 'division' key now is one row above the numeric block.

    > There was very good reason for the original HP35's
    > arithmetic key placement, however, which was on the
    > left, with [+] and[*] adjacent in the middle
    > of the grouping, but that has long been forgotten.

    I know, and you explained it well.
    The order of the arithmetic keys on the HP calcs up to the HP-41
    was optimal, but the addition of the modifier key column
    made it necessary to make a compromise...

    > http://www.hpmuseum.org/four35s.jpg

    You can easily see the 'inner square' of the numeric keys,
    extended by the outer square of the arithmetic keys,
    ENTER and number modifiers (CHS, EEX, BkSpc).

    Optimal from the ergonomic side, as well as from the aesthetic side.

    > Off[xx ]On

    Seems you're adapting to a more classical switch;-)

    Regards

    Raymond

  19. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:04:14 -0500, Brian Walsh wrote:

    > "Memory cards" didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago.
    > An HP-25 was a pain to re-program each time it was turned on,
    > and it only had 49 steps of program memory.

    So you left it running on AC all the time?
    And next got a 25C?
    http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp25c.htm (for only $200 in 1976-78 dollars)

    > Ask anyone who lost memory contents of an HP 28C,
    > much less a 28S, how much work it was to re-enter everything
    > because it had no I/O (just "Oh!").

    Yes, it had "O" (printout!)

    Didn't lose memory unless battery door fell off, did it?

    > To paraphrase the Disney's Seven Dwarves,
    > "I/O, I/O, it's off to work we go."

    "Input not always good to know"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

    --

  20. Re: The HP 35S has arrived...

    On 30 mai, 05:33, Michael wrote:
    > altz...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > The new HP35S (the HP 35 35th anniversary model) has arrived:
    > >http://www.calculators-hp.com/35s.html

    > > and it looks supurb!

    > > Dave.

    > It could have done with an SD slot and about four times the memory. *If*
    > it has a excellent keyboard it would be my first choice of calc for
    > number crunching, going to get two regardless.
    > Does anybody know about the programming (RPL)? It would be a pain if it
    > was the same as the original, would relegate it 2 a novelty.
    > Mick C

    It could also have a wider screen and a built-equation writer.
    The wider screen could have also helped for programming.
    T.H.H