HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007 - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, It's finally time to announce the annual 2007 HP Handhelds Users Conference to be held in San Diego, California on September 29th and 30th. This is in the HP calculator team's "back yard", so we expect significant participation from ...

  1. HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    Hi,

    It's finally time to announce the annual 2007 HP Handhelds Users
    Conference to be held in San Diego, California
    on September 29th and 30th. This is in the HP calculator team's "back
    yard", so we expect significant
    participation from Hewlett Packard at this year's event. In fact, the
    conference itself is scheduled to be held at
    the HP facility. (This has happened only a few times since the first
    event in 1979 at HP's Santa Clara office.)

    One theme of this year's conference is the 35th anniversary of the
    HP35, and we are requesting that all HP35
    owners bring their HP35s along as a show of our community's three-and-
    a-half-decade support.

    As always, we are soliciting any and all calculator and HP handheld
    enthusiasts to meet, present and share
    their achievements, equipment, experiences and expertise.

    For more conference location, registration and hotel information,
    check out the HHC2007 site at
    http://holyjoe.net/hhc2007/ on the web. There will be periodic updates
    to the site as the information becomes
    available (such as likely attendees and speakers), so check back from
    time to time.

    Jake Schwartz
    jakesmagpagecom or
    jakespahhcorg

  2. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    Jake Schwartz wrote:

    > For more conference location, registration and hotel information,
    > check out the HHC2007 site at
    > http://holyjoe.net/hhc2007/ on the web. There will be periodic updates
    > to the site as the information becomes
    > available (such as likely attendees and speakers), so check back from
    > time to time.

    Guarantee Bill Wickes will be there, and I *might* be able to force
    myself to attend this time.

    --
    Wayne Brown (HPCC #1104)

    s ofereode, isses swa mg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
    from "Deor," in the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)

  3. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:38:01 -0500:

    > Guarantee Bill Wickes will be there,
    > and I *might* be able to force myself to attend this time.

    Maybe as R&D manager of this project,
    he can simply project himself there:
    http://www.hp.com/halo/what_is.html

    There is an HP Halo Studio in San Diego, after all

    Apparently he projected his daughter to Corvallis this same way:
    http://www.zoominfo.com/people/wicke...m_1317460.aspx

    More fun than actually being there, right?

    [r->[ [OFF]

  4. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    On Apr 24, 8:35 am, Jake Schwartz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is in the HP calculator team's "back
    > yard", so we expect significant
    > participation from Hewlett Packard at this year's event. >
    > Jake Schwartz

    I am confused here. I was told by a reliable source just a few months
    ago that HP has only one engineer working on calculators and the rest
    of the work is contracted out. Is that incorrect or by "HP calculator
    team" do you mean that there will be representatives from the
    contractors at the event? (Please don't reply just to say that you
    can't reply because of some nda bolona.)

  5. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego29-30 September 2007

    > I am confused here. I was told by a reliable source just a few months
    > ago that HP has only one engineer working on calculators and the rest
    > of the work is contracted out. Is that incorrect or by "HP calculator
    > team" do you mean that there will be representatives from the
    > contractors at the event? (Please don't reply just to say that you
    > can't reply because of some nda bolona.)

    There are more people involved with calculators besides engineers (think
    those that $$$ them). I am not sure if there have been more developers
    hired, but I have personally met at least 5 people that work for HP calc
    dept, and I'm sure others have met more. Cyrille has probably met them
    all. :-)

    The offices of all those "other" people are down in san diego.

    TW

  6. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:38:01 -0500:
    >
    >> Guarantee Bill Wickes will be there,
    >> and I *might* be able to force myself to attend this time.

    > Maybe as R&D manager of this project,
    > he can simply project himself there:
    > http://www.hp.com/halo/what_is.html
    >
    > There is an HP Halo Studio in San Diego, after all
    >
    > Apparently he projected his daughter to Corvallis this same way:
    > http://www.zoominfo.com/people/wicke...m_1317460.aspx
    >
    > More fun than actually being there, right?

    Absolutely! It would be even better if I could tap into it from home,
    and talk to him without having to be there myself.

    --
    Wayne Brown (HPCC #1104)

    s ofereode, isses swa mg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
    from "Deor," in the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)

  7. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    > check out the HHC2007 site at http://holyjoe.net/hhc2007/ on the web. There will be periodic updates
    > to the site as the information becomes available (such as likely attendees and speakers), so check back from
    > time to time.

    Our list of potential attendees has reached 20 names
    now....extraordinary at this point in time.
    Also, the list of potential speakers continues to grow. Positive news
    indeed.

    Jake Schwartz

  8. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    On Apr 30, 2:28 pm, Jake Schwartz wrote:
    > > check out the HHC2007 site at http://holyjoe.net/hhc2007/ on the web. There will be periodic updates
    > > to the site as the information becomes available (such as likely attendees and speakers), so check back from
    > > time to time.

    We're up to 25 registrants now...including at least a couple of
    international travelers.
    Things continue to look positive. Also, ten have indicated the desire
    to give a presentation.
    It should be an interesting weekend.

    Jake Schwartz

  9. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    On May 3, 10:35 am, Jake Schwartz wrote:

    > > > check out the HHC2007 site at http://holyjoe.net/hhc2007/ on the web. There will be periodic updates
    > > > to the site as the information becomes available (such as likely attendees and speakers), so check back from
    > > > time to time.

    The HHC2007 conference-attendee registration list has blasted past
    thirty names and it's looking really good for
    San Diego in September. Also, twelve people have signed on as
    speakers up to this point. Now, if HP *really* has something new to
    show by then, it will be an extra memorable occasion.

    Jake Schwartz

  10. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    On Jun 3, 12:05 pm, Jake Schwartz wrote:

    > The HHC2007 conference-attendee registration list has blasted past
    > thirty names and it's looking really good for
    > San Diego in September.
    > Jake Schwartz

    Hi,

    We are currently past forty registrants for the HHC2007 conference and
    counting. Also for enjoyment, go to the
    main conference page URL and click on the small HP35 at the top of the
    page. From this HP35 page, there is a link
    in the lower right to "legacy literature" - this leads to nine ancient
    pdfs of early HP calculators and catalogs.

    Jake Schwartz

  11. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    Sorry for the botched URL in the previous message....it is
    http://holyjoe.net/hhc2007/

    Jake Schwartz

  12. Re: HHC2007: The U.S. HP Handhelds Users Conference in San Diego 29-30 September 2007

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently past forty registrants for the HHC2007 conference and counting. Also for enjoyment, go to the
    > main conference page URL and click on the small HP35 at the top of the page. From this HP35 page, there is a link
    > in the lower right to "legacy literature" - this leads to nine ancient pdfs of early HP calculators and catalogs.

    Hi,
    The HHC2007 conference registration list has now passed 45 names. As
    this represents a number
    greater than the 2006 attendance (which in turn was greater than
    2005), it looks like the slight upswing
    may be for real. Also, check out the conference web site with around
    two dozen pdfs of classic HP brochures,
    along with around a dozen of what we call "scans from the dark side".
    >From the main page, click on the small

    HP35 image at the top.

    Jake Schwartz

+ Reply to Thread