power notation - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on power notation - Hewlett Packard ; hey just wondering if theres a way to set my hp50g so that when im calculating numbers with power notation, ( example 3^5 + 5^4) that my calculator provides the answer in the same power notated form?? any one have ...

  1. power notation

    hey just wondering if theres a way to set my hp50g so that when im
    calculating numbers with power notation, ( example 3^5 + 5^4) that my
    calculator provides the answer in the same power notated form?? any
    one have any ideas?? thanks Dan Ripley

  2. Re: power notation

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:01:04 -0500, Ripley (believe it or not

    > just wondering if theres a way to set my hp50g so that when im
    > calculating numbers with power notation, (example 3^5 + 5^4)
    > that my calculator provides the answer in the same power notated form?

    What should '3^5+5^4' look like in that form?

    In "Exact" mode,
    you can do '3^5+5^4' EVAL FACTOR to get '2^2*7*31'

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: power notation

    On 24 Apr., 13:01, rink...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hey just wondering if theres a way to set my hp50g so that when im
    > calculating numbers with power notation, ( example 3^5 + 5^4) that my
    > calculator provides the answer in the same power notated form?? ...

    how should that be possible ?
    which power would you like ? ( its ambiguous )

    example:

    3^5 + 5^4 = 868 ^1 = 29.4618 ^2 = 9.5391 ^3 = 5.4279 ^4 = 3.8699 ^5
    = ...

  4. Re: power notation

    Dan Ripley writes:
    > hey just wondering if theres a way to set my hp50g so that when im
    > calculating numbers with power notation, ( example 3^5 + 5^4) that my
    > calculator provides the answer in the same power notated form?? any
    > one have any ideas?? thanks Dan Ripley

    One easy solution would be to assign FACTOR to a key, and just press
    it whenever you wish to see the last result fully factored. I keep
    COLLECT assigned to shift-and-hold ACOS; it does the same thing as
    FACTOR for integers, and since it's on a shift-and-hold key, it
    doesn't interfere with regular use of ACOS.

    Hope that helps!

    -Joe-

  5. Re: power notation

    how would the calculator know what base to give the answer in?
    using your example would the answer be:
    3^6.16
    or
    5^4.2
    ?

    On Apr 24, 7:01 am, rink...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hey just wondering if theres a way to set my hp50g so that when im
    > calculating numbers with power notation, ( example 3^5 + 5^4) that my
    > calculator provides the answer in the same power notated form?? any
    > one have any ideas?? thanks Dan Ripley

+ Reply to Thread