2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g - Hewlett Packard ; Are there any limitations to the type of SD cards that can be used? I recently purchased a Kingston 2GB SD RAM card, and when I try to format it in my HP 50g I get a format error. 2.08 ...

  1. 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g

    Are there any limitations to the type of SD cards that can be used? I
    recently purchased a Kingston 2GB SD RAM card, and when I try to format it
    in my HP 50g I get a format error. 2.08 ROM if that matters. I've tried
    both the FILE application and through the ON-F4 menu.

  2. Re: 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g

    On 21 Apr., 03:36, eric wrote:
    > Are there any limitations to the type of SD cards that can be used? I
    > recently purchased a Kingston 2GB SD RAM card, and when I try to format it
    > in my HP 50g I get a format error. 2.08 ROM if that matters. I've tried
    > both the FILE application and through the ON-F4 menu.

    Type in: 2 Gig SD Card...into the search engine at the top of this
    page. You will find some discussion on this topic.

    If your card is in good shape, and the batteries are fresh, you should
    be able to format the card. I have a 1 Gig card in my HP 50g and it
    works just fine. But a 2 Gig card should work also. If you have a
    digital camera and all else fails, you may wish to put the 2 Gig SD
    card in the camera and purchase a 1 Gig card for the calculator.

    Charles A. Huffer

  3. Re: 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g

    On Apr 20, 6:36 pm, eric wrote:
    > Are there any limitations to the type of SD cards that can be used? I
    > recently purchased a Kingston 2GB SD RAM card, and when I try to format it
    > in my HP 50g I get a format error. 2.08 ROM if that matters. I've tried
    > both the FILE application and through the ON-F4 menu.

    Hi,
    I have the same trouble with a 2GB Lexar SD card, and a friend of mine
    had the same trouble with his SanDisk (also 2GB). I had to use my PC
    to format it. Make sure you format in FAT16. The calculator will R/W
    much faster than with FAT32. Also, when you reflash your 50g with the
    latest ROM (2.09) from the card, the card will need to be formatted in
    FAT16.

  4. Re: 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g

    On Apr 22, 3:11 am, Mike Bryant wrote:
    > On Apr 20, 6:36 pm, eric wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any limitations to the type of SD cards that can be used? I
    > > recently purchased a Kingston 2GB SD RAM card, and when I try to format it
    > > in my HP 50g I get a format error. 2.08 ROM if that matters. I've tried
    > > both the FILE application and through the ON-F4 menu.

    > Hi,
    > I have the same trouble with a 2GB Lexar SD card, and a friend of mine
    > had the same trouble with his SanDisk (also 2GB). I had to use my PC
    > to format it. Make sure you format in FAT16. The calculator will R/W
    > much faster than with FAT32. Also, when you reflash your 50g with the
    > latest ROM (2.09) from the card, the card will need to be formatted in
    > FAT16.

    What is the syntax for the DOS format command to format these larger
    cards correctly?

  5. Re: 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g

    > What is the syntax for the DOS format command to format these larger
    > cards correctly?

    http://www.computerhope.com/formathl.htm (first result in everyones
    favorite engine using "dos format")

    format z: /FS:FAT32 is all you really need.

    TW

  6. Re: 2GB SD Card Won't Format in HP50g

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:05:53 -0500:

    > format z: /FS:FAT32

    I haven't checked lately, but can you do ROM updates with this?
    (the only card I use is formatted FAT16, just as it came originally)

    The 50G User Guide says that the calc itself formats as FAT32
    (both ON+D and Filer are mentioned); wasn't this once a problem,
    that ROM updates then wouldn't work? Or was that only
    for an obsolete version of 49G Boot Loader?
    (the boot loader doesn't itself get replaced during ROM updates,
    so whatever your calc came with tends to be permanent).

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread