1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?) - Hewlett Packard ; I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way ...

  1. 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    Thank you.

    -Dot-

  2. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    dot wrote:
    > I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    > requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    > calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    > that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    talk to Samsung and ARM.
    They didn't provide 1200 bauds support on this chip

  3. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    > I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    > requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    > calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    > that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    Can't be done. I already asked him to try it last summer. He did,
    spent most of a weekend trying it out, but it never worked. The
    Samsung chip does not support 1200 baud. All the other baud rates are
    done using the on chip controller.

    Besides, he doesn't offer free support for HP anymore.

    TW

  4. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:33:51 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard
    wrote:

    >dot wrote:
    >> I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    >> requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    >> calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    >> that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    >talk to Samsung and ARM.
    >They didn't provide 1200 bauds support on this chip

    Well, that's not the best news of the day. Thanks for the quick
    response, anyway!

    -Dot-

  5. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On 18 Apr 2007 17:36:28 -0700, TW wrote:

    >> I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    >> requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    >> calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    >> that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    >Can't be done. I already asked him to try it last summer. He did,
    >spent most of a weekend trying it out, but it never worked. The
    >Samsung chip does not support 1200 baud. All the other baud rates are
    >done using the on chip controller.
    >
    >Besides, he doesn't offer free support for HP anymore.
    >
    >TW

    Well, it seems like every step forward is followed by two back. I
    suppose a uart speed shifter with a fifo memory would do the trick.
    I'll have to see if there are any other tricks that I can use with the
    equipment available.

    -Dot-

  6. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    > Well, it seems like every step forward is followed by two back. I
    > suppose a uart speed shifter with a fifo memory would do the trick.
    > I'll have to see if there are any other tricks that I can use with the
    > equipment available.

    You can always purchase one of our surveying cases/circuit boards.
    Would set you back $300+ though. Too bad we aren't selling volumes
    needed for mass production. :-)

    TW

  7. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On Apr 19, 10:33 am, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > dot wrote:
    > > I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    > > requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    > > calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    > > that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    > talk to Samsung and ARM.
    > They didn't provide 1200 bauds support on this chip

    Hi Jean-Yves,

    Is there any reason why the RS232 pins couldn't be reconfigured for
    GPIO, then bitbanged at such a slow speed?

    cheers,

    Al

  8. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    Al Borowski wrote:

    > Hi Jean-Yves,
    >
    > Is there any reason why the RS232 pins couldn't be reconfigured for
    > GPIO, then bitbanged at such a slow speed?

    You would need to ask Kinpo.

    As I have no will to investigate really

  9. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On Apr 19, 7:31 pm, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > Al Borowski wrote:
    > > Hi Jean-Yves,

    > > Is there any reason why the RS232 pins couldn't be reconfigured for
    > > GPIO, then bitbanged at such a slow speed?

    > You would need to ask Kinpo.
    >
    > As I have no will to investigate really

    Fair enough. I gave the datasheet a quick skim before, and I'm pretty
    sure it's possible (the hardware serial port can be bypassed
    completely). Dot/TW: How badly did you want this speed?

    Cheers,

    Al

  10. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On Apr 18, 5:05 pm, dot wrote:
    > I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    > requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    > calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    > that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > -Dot-

    We have a circuit in production (that will be installed in an e-case)
    that will reduce 2400 to 1200 for those instruments that only
    communicate at the lower rate. This should be available in 3 weeks or
    so. Check stk4hp.com for availability.
    Jeff

  11. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    > completely). Dot/TW: How badly did you want this speed?

    Would be nice, but I already have it for my purposes. Our
    communication board does the full range of baud rates, can provide
    power to external devices, has selectable flow control, programmable
    communication buffers, full NMEA GPS parsing, etc.

    TW

  12. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On Apr 18, 5:46 pm, dot wrote:

    > Well, it seems like every step forward is followed by two back. I
    > suppose a uart speed shifter with a fifo memory would do the trick.
    > I'll have to see if there are any other tricks that I can use with the
    > equipment available.
    >
    > -Dot-

    I ended up buying a couple of these: http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?S...TrailType=Main
    ($200 ea), when I needed to interface an optical pyrometer with a
    PLC. I didn't realize when I ordered the pyrometer that it's baud
    rate was fixed at 38400, yet the PLC's serial inface card had a max
    baud of 19200. Luckily, the application didn't require high-speed
    communication (it needed 1 reading per second), otherwise I might have
    had to have been concerned about buffer overrun on the 19200 side.

    Tim's solution sounds like a perfect fit.

    mk

  13. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    There is a lot of equipment that uses 1200 baud only. I would sure
    like to find a way to get the hp50g to work at that baudrate.

    There is a recent article in QST (Feb 2K7) which uses a bluetooth
    modem from www.sparkfun.com called "BlueSmiRF" that I would like to
    experiment with. Traditionally, it works in conjunction with a
    bluetooth dongle for a pc. I want to try to use it with some data
    acquisition equipment and the hp50g.

    -Dot-
    On 19 Apr 2007 02:45:12 -0700, Al Borowski
    wrote:

    >On Apr 19, 7:31 pm, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    >> Al Borowski wrote:
    >> > Hi Jean-Yves,

    >> > Is there any reason why the RS232 pins couldn't be reconfigured for
    >> > GPIO, then bitbanged at such a slow speed?

    >> You would need to ask Kinpo.
    >>
    >> As I have no will to investigate really

    >Fair enough. I gave the datasheet a quick skim before, and I'm pretty
    >sure it's possible (the hardware serial port can be bypassed
    >completely). Dot/TW: How badly did you want this speed?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Al

  14. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    On Apr 18, 8:33 pm, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
    > dot wrote:
    > > I have a variety of SCADA equipment that uses bell 202 protocol. This
    > > requires the use of 1200 baud rs-232. I have a serial cable for the
    > > calc. The hp50g does not support 1200 baud, however. Is there any way
    > > that 1200 baud can be included via a sysrpl program or a ROM patch?

    > talk to Samsung and ARM.
    > They didn't provide 1200 bauds support on this chip

    I just read the Samsung manual, and I don't see any reason why it
    won't work at 1200 bauds, they actually have a clock division
    completely configurable by the user, so the chip can even support non-
    standard speeds.
    I think it was more of a software decision by the Kinpo OS to provide
    or not the speed.

    {{ QUOTING FROM SAMSUNG MANUAL }}
    Baud-Rate Generation

    Each UART's baud-rate generator provides the serial clock for the
    transmitter and the receiver. The source clock
    for the baud-rate generator can be selected with the S3C2410X's
    internal system clock or UCLK. In other words,
    dividend is selectable by setting Clock Selection of UCONn. The baud-
    rate clock is generated by dividing the
    source clock (PCLK or UCLK) by 16 and a 16-bit divisor specified in
    the UART baud-rate divisor register
    (UBRDIVn). The UBRDIVn can be determined by the following expression:

    UBRDIVn = (int)(PCLK/(bps x 16) ) -1

    Where, the divisor should be from 1 to (2^16-1).

    {{ END QUOTE }}

    So, anyone using hpgcc could easily transmit at 1200 bauds. There's no
    need to do it by software as Al suggested, altough that will also work
    fine, since the pins can be configured as IO port H.
    The standard PCLK (when running at 75 MHz) is 18.75 MHz, you get a
    division value of 976, well within acceptable range. It's not an exact
    division but it should be close enough to establish a communication.

    Is there any reason I'm missing why it would not work?

    Claudio

  15. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    Hi Claudio,

    > I just read the Samsung manual, and I don't see any reason why it
    > won't work at 1200 bauds, they actually have a clock division
    > completely configurable by the user, so the chip can even support non-
    > standard speeds.

    [...]

    Whoops, you're completely right. Based on what Jean-Yves said, I
    assumed that the clock division register wouldn't support such a low
    baud rate - other microcontrollers I've used have had this issue.
    Serves me right for making assumptions

    Cheers,

    Al

  16. Re: 1200 Baud needed on hp50g (Help please, JYA?)

    Al Borowski wrote:
    > Whoops, you're completely right. Based on what Jean-Yves said, I
    > assumed that the clock division register wouldn't support such a low
    > baud rate - other microcontrollers I've used have had this issue.
    > Serves me right for making assumptions

    I personally didn't check. I only relayed what Kinpo told me. They had
    tried to get 1200 bps in the early days, but removed it from the list of
    supported baud rate after they had issue with the chip.

    JY

+ Reply to Thread