"Orange" and "white" shift keys - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on "Orange" and "white" shift keys - Hewlett Packard ; I have found several instances in which instructions on how to do a particular thing on an HP48 calculator make reference to "orange" and "white" shift keys. I haven't had any trouble figuring out that where I see these, the ...

  1. "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    I have found several instances in which instructions on how to do a
    particular thing on an HP48 calculator make reference to "orange" and
    "white" shift keys.

    I haven't had any trouble figuring out that where I see these, the
    intent is to refer to the two up-and-to-one-side keys between the ON key
    and the alpha key. But on my HP48G, the up-right key is green, and the
    up-left key is lavender.

    Apparently, HP hasn't been consistent in its use of color for these
    keys on different variants of the HP48.

    So, I have a question and a comment.

    First, the comment: When specifying instructions for doing something
    on an HP48, please be aware that not all HP48s use the same colors as
    yours in the same way, so referring to these keys by color isn't helpful
    to someone who has a calculator that uses different colors.

    Second, on those HP48 calculators that do use orange and white, which
    is which?

    --
    "Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information
    Purification Directives. ... Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful

  2. Re: "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    This one seems to have Orange [right] and White [left] shift keys:

    http://commerce.hpcalc.org/images/50g.jpg

    -[ ]-

  3. Re: "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    The terms are used to reference an HP50g specifically and is not meant
    to slight any other machine.

  4. Re: "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:33:43 -0500:

    > The terms are used to reference an HP50g specifically
    > and are not meant to slight any other machine.

    The OP probably wants to suggest that saying "Left Shift"
    and "Right Shift" instead of naming colors of the keys
    will be applicable to all compatible 49G+, 48Gii, 49G,
    and emulators using varied calculator face bitmaps,
    rather than being directions useful only to a subset of users
    because of conflicting (hence confusing) key colorings,
    which aren't inherent to general operating instructions
    (and are never used in the AUR or other manuals, are they?)

    [r->] [OFF]

  5. Re: "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    > [r->] [OFF]

    The problem I've noticed, especially with supporting surveying
    software, is that many new users don't get the concept of [r->] and[<-
    L].

    What I've found usually works best is to say,"Ok, now press the Right
    Shift key, this is the red one, from now on we'll call that right
    shift because it points to the right." If they don't hear that at
    least once they try using the silver "right" button to click
    things. :-)

    TW

  6. Re: "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    In article ,
    "John H Meyers" wrote:

    > The OP probably wants to suggest that saying "Left Shift"
    > and "Right Shift" instead of naming colors of the keys
    > will be applicable to all compatible 49G+, 48Gii, 49G,
    > and emulators using varied calculator face bitmaps,
    > rather than being directions useful only to a subset of users
    > because of conflicting (hence confusing) key colorings,
    > which aren't inherent to general operating instructions
    > (and are never used in the AUR or other manuals, are they?)

    someone posted pictures of three HP calculators, an HP50G, an HP48SX and
    an HP48GX The HP48GX, like my HP48G, has the left and right shift keys
    being lavender and green, respectively. The HP48SX shows these same
    keys being orange and blue respectively. So within the HP48 family,
    there is some obvious inconsistency.

    The HP50G was show having these keys being white and orange,
    respectively. The key that is orange on the HP48SX is white on the
    HP50G, and the key that is orange on the HP50G is blue on the HP48SX.

    This seems be be about the best answer to my general question. There
    is enough inconsistently in the use of color to make it a bad idea to
    refer to these keys by color. If an HP48SX user gives instructions
    referring to the "orange shift" key, an HP48G user is going to look at
    his calculator and have no clue which key to press. An HP50G user will
    look at his keyboard, and press the wrong key entirely.

    --
    "Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information
    Purification Directives. ... Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful
    a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. ... Our enemies shall talk
    themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion."

  7. Re: "Orange" and "white" shift keys

    "Bob Blaylock" wrote in message
    news:BobHatesSpam-9E7CFC.18522920042007@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com ...

    > This seems be be about the best answer to my general question. There
    > is enough inconsistently in the use of color to make it a bad idea to
    > refer to these keys by color. If an HP48SX user gives instructions
    > referring to the "orange shift" key, an HP48G user is going to look at
    > his calculator and have no clue which key to press. An HP50G user will
    > look at his keyboard, and press the wrong key entirely.

    Yes but an HP50g user is intended to read an HP50g manual, and an HP49g user
    an HP49g manual. I would think those of us who are moving from one
    calculator to the other would realize the color differences and are
    comfortable with LS and RS terminology and usage. I would think green and
    lavender would look atrocious on an HP50g.

    Scott Chapin

+ Reply to Thread