complex number support? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on complex number support? - Hewlett Packard ; I'm trying to enter the complex number 1e^(j*pi). If I understand the manual correctly, I have to enter the following: switch to radians mode enter: (1, *enter symbol for angle here*pi) But the calc gives only an error. It seems ...

  1. complex number support?

    I'm trying to enter the complex number 1e^(j*pi).

    If I understand the manual correctly, I have to enter the following:
    switch to radians mode
    enter: (1, *enter symbol for angle here*pi)

    But the calc gives only an error. It seems it doesn't accept symbolic/exact
    expressions.
    My very cheap CASIO calc accepts expressions like the value pi, roots or
    fractions and displays the result as a multiple of these values, if
    appropriate.

    Can't I expect the same from my HP [50g]?

    How can I enter the example above?

  2. Re: complex number support?

    On Apr 16, 5:44 pm, Mario83 wrote:
    > I'm trying to enter the complex number 1e^(j*pi).
    >
    > If I understand the manual correctly, I have to enter the following:
    > switch to radians mode
    > enter: (1, *enter symbol for angle here*pi)
    >

    > But the calc gives only an error. It seems it doesn't accept symbolic/exact
    > expressions.
    > How can I enter the example above?

    Exact mode on, complex mode on:

    'e^(i*pi)' ->NUM => (-1,-1.26676153736E-12), that is, -1.

    HTH

    Gerson.

  3. Re: complex number support?

    "GWB" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1176757390.416981.86570@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Apr 16, 5:44 pm, Mario83 wrote:
    >> I'm trying to enter the complex number 1e^(j*pi).
    >>
    >> If I understand the manual correctly, I have to enter the following:
    >> switch to radians mode
    >> enter: (1, *enter symbol for angle here*pi)
    >>

    >> But the calc gives only an error. It seems it doesn't accept
    >> symbolic/exact
    >> expressions.
    >> How can I enter the example above?

    > Exact mode on, complex mode on:
    >
    > 'e^(i*pi)' ->NUM => (-1,-1.26676153736E-12), that is, -1.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Gerson.

    .... and "EVAL" yields the symbolic answer, -1.

    Chris.

  4. Re: complex number support?

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:44:53 -0500, Mario83 wrote:

    > I'm trying to enter the complex number 1e^(j*pi)
    > as (1, angle_symbol*pi)

    > My very cheap CASIO calc accepts expressions like the value pi,
    > roots or fractions and displays the result as a multiple of these values,
    > if appropriate. Can't I expect the same from my HP [50g]?

    > How can I enter the example above?

    What the subsequent replies may not have fully explained
    is that you can express symbolic components
    only within algebraic expressions, e.g. '(x,y)'

    Unquoted syntax like (3,4) accepts only pure numbers
    as components, because a "complex number object"
    (object type 1) can contain only pure numbers (reals)
    as components; for any components that are expressions
    or involve symbols, you must instead use an algebraic expression
    for the entire object, either '(x,y)' or 'x+y*i'

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread