HP50g verse HP48 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP50g verse HP48 - Hewlett Packard ; I am looking to buy a HP50G but am confused by the programming model. Is it a more advanced HP 48G and HP49G. The HP web site refers to a HP 48 and HP49 manual for the advanced programming. Thanks ...

  1. HP50g verse HP48

    I am looking to buy a HP50G but am confused by the programming model. Is it
    a more advanced HP 48G and HP49G. The HP web site refers to a HP 48 and HP49
    manual for the advanced programming.

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: HP50g verse HP48

    On 16 Apr, 21:52, "David Waller"
    wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a HP50G but am confused by the programming model. Is it
    > a more advanced HP 48G and HP49G. The HP web site refers to a HP 48 and HP49
    > manual for the advanced programming.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    Hi David.
    The manuals say to refer to HP49 docs for (advanced) programming
    because the 50G *is* basically a 49GPlus with:
    > renewed colour scheme
    > 1 AAA battery more
    > a *non-standard* serial port
    > a USB connection capability, that can power the calc when connected to a powered USB PC port.

    Moreover they advice to refer to the HP48 Series docs because they
    were the last ones made according to the high-quality standards which
    built HP reputation (but this is a guess o'mine .

    Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  3. Re: HP50g verse HP48

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:52:57 -0500, David Waller wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a HP50G but am confused by the programming model.
    > Is it a more advanced HP48G and HP49G.

    HP48/49/50 is essentially one series as regards programming,
    but the 49G introduced the present CAS
    with far more algebraic capability,
    and at the same time re-arranged the ROM,
    causing older *binary* objects to become incompatible,
    although they can be re-compiled or re-entered in text form.

    > The HP web site refers to a HP48 and HP49
    > manual for the advanced programming.

    What they may mean is that the "AUR" manual for the HP49G+ and HP48Gii
    is just as valid for the HP50G; the HP48Gii is a cheaper member
    of the newer series, with original screen size and less RAM,
    no flash memory, no USB, no SD slot,
    and the HP50G is a make-over of the 49G+,
    which had acquired so bad a reputation for its terrible keyboard
    that it might otherwise have become extinct
    (the final production runs of 49G+ had fixed the keyboard,
    but those are difficult to distinguish from the older group).

    The AUR was given a very trivial update for HP50G;
    the new indexing of content was far more useful than any added info.

    The most recent official ROM (version 2.09) for HP50G can also be used
    in 49G+ and 49G, which indicates how compatible these all are
    (48Gii as well, except that its ROM isn't re-flashable by the user).

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: HP50g verse HP48

    Thanks all for answering my question. I now intend to get a HP50G.

    "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    newsp.tqx3fbqenn735j@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu...
    > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:52:57 -0500, David Waller wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking to buy a HP50G but am confused by the programming model.
    >> Is it a more advanced HP48G and HP49G.

    > HP48/49/50 is essentially one series as regards programming,
    > but the 49G introduced the present CAS
    > with far more algebraic capability,
    > and at the same time re-arranged the ROM,
    > causing older *binary* objects to become incompatible,
    > although they can be re-compiled or re-entered in text form.
    >
    >> The HP web site refers to a HP48 and HP49
    >> manual for the advanced programming.

    > What they may mean is that the "AUR" manual for the HP49G+ and HP48Gii
    > is just as valid for the HP50G; the HP48Gii is a cheaper member
    > of the newer series, with original screen size and less RAM,
    > no flash memory, no USB, no SD slot,
    > and the HP50G is a make-over of the 49G+,
    > which had acquired so bad a reputation for its terrible keyboard
    > that it might otherwise have become extinct
    > (the final production runs of 49G+ had fixed the keyboard,
    > but those are difficult to distinguish from the older group).
    >
    > The AUR was given a very trivial update for HP50G;
    > the new indexing of content was far more useful than any added info.
    >
    > The most recent official ROM (version 2.09) for HP50G can also be used
    > in 49G+ and 49G, which indicates how compatible these all are
    > (48Gii as well, except that its ROM isn't re-flashable by the user).
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread