Had enough! - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Had enough! - Hewlett Packard ; I am a long time HP fanatic. 2 HP48GX, 2 HP41CX, 4 HP32SII, 1 HP11C, 1 HP45, 1 HP35, 1 HP42S, 1 HP28S. I enjoy programming them and using them for everyday stuff. I had to purchase a 49G+ to ...

  1. Had enough!

    I am a long time HP fanatic. 2 HP48GX, 2 HP41CX, 4 HP32SII, 1 HP11C, 1 HP45,
    1 HP35, 1 HP42S, 1 HP28S. I enjoy programming them and using them for
    everyday stuff. I had to purchase a 49G+ to update some programs WHAT A
    PIECE OF CRAP. Then had to purchase a 33s for an exam (32SII not allowed but
    is much better calc.). 33s... ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP. So many missed
    keystrokes I went and got a Casio, no matter how fast I push the buttons the
    keys register. Just like HP USED to be! I prefer RPN, but if the keys are'nt
    reliable I will use Casio for the exam and my old, REAL HP calcs until they
    wear out.

  2. Re: Had enough!

    I hear ya ...

    Although not much of a consolation at THIS point (for you), but my 50G has a
    "more than acceptable" keyboard, relative to the legacy HP models.... not
    what they used to be, but fairly close, I must say.

    I had an early 49 that lasted 4 days before being returned to HP. Waited it
    out and got a 50G, and must say, I really love it.... I don't have
    "longevity" experience with it yet, but it was a HUGE step in the right
    direction relative to the 49 I had.

    I understand your frustration.... but the 50G REALLY IS much better (and
    still RPN). I just can't give up RPN and the raw power and capability of the
    "somewhat inferior to the old stuff" 50G.

    Once your initial shock wears off, I hope you have an opportunity to try the
    50G. I can't refute ANY of your findings, but maybe you'll try the 50.....

    Just my $0.05 ...

    I do yearn for the calcs of old myself (from HP)

    --
    Grumpy Aero Guy

    "Kevin" wrote in message
    news:_sGdndH5e6TSRoPbnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >I am a long time HP fanatic. 2 HP48GX, 2 HP41CX, 4 HP32SII, 1 HP11C, 1
    >HP45, 1 HP35, 1 HP42S, 1 HP28S. I enjoy programming them and using them for
    >everyday stuff. I had to purchase a 49G+ to update some programs WHAT A
    >PIECE OF CRAP. Then had to purchase a 33s for an exam (32SII not allowed
    >but is much better calc.). 33s... ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP. So many missed
    >keystrokes I went and got a Casio, no matter how fast I push the buttons
    >the keys register. Just like HP USED to be! I prefer RPN, but if the keys
    >are'nt reliable I will use Casio for the exam and my old, REAL HP calcs
    >until they wear out.

  3. Re: Had enough!

    I understand but unfortunately HP has been dumping junk disguised as
    calculators to rip off its loyal customers. When I first opened up a 49G+ I
    laughed till I cried. The joke is on us poor dumb suckers that keep buying
    their junk! I am impressed by the Nspire. Hp has certainly had enough time
    to put out something other than an infinitesimal increment over the last HP
    calc. How about something that actually uses current hardware technology.
    "Kevin" wrote in message
    news:_sGdndH5e6TSRoPbnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >I am a long time HP fanatic. 2 HP48GX, 2 HP41CX, 4 HP32SII, 1 HP11C, 1
    >HP45, 1 HP35, 1 HP42S, 1 HP28S. I enjoy programming them and using them for
    >everyday stuff. I had to purchase a 49G+ to update some programs WHAT A
    >PIECE OF CRAP. Then had to purchase a 33s for an exam (32SII not allowed
    >but is much better calc.). 33s... ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP. So many missed
    >keystrokes I went and got a Casio, no matter how fast I push the buttons
    >the keys register. Just like HP USED to be! I prefer RPN, but if the keys
    >are'nt reliable I will use Casio for the exam and my old, REAL HP calcs
    >until they wear out.

  4. Re: Had enough!

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:22:51 -0500, Kevin wrote:

    > I am a long time HP fanatic. 2 HP48GX, 2 HP41CX, 4 HP32SII, 1 HP11C, 1 HP45,
    > 1 HP35, 1 HP42S, 1 HP28S. I enjoy programming them and using them for
    > everyday stuff. I had to purchase a 49G+ to update some programs
    > what a piece of...

    Manufacturing of 49G+ evolved over time,
    and at the end was as good as the now relabeled 50G --
    but you need either a vintage chart or close examination
    of the cork [or SD slot] to know which lot wasn't vinegar:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c86482eaac349a
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c4a62e9fa7e6c3

    -[ ]-

  5. Re: Had enough!

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 04:23:42 -0500, Kevin wrote:

    > My 49G+ is CNA 53401... still misses keystrokes.

    Have you set KEYTIME lower?

    Eric wrote:

    The new, third-generation metal dome keyboard
    does an amazing job at eliminating keybounce.
    Setting the KEYTIME to as low as 160 ticks
    (that's just 20 milliseconds) still has no bounce,
    and buttons can be pressed as fast as humanly possible
    with no missed keystrokes.

    The AUR is slightly out of date about the KEYTIME commands,
    saying that they "do nothing," and the User's Manual/Guide
    each meanwhile *say*nothing* about KEYTIME!

    Of course, you also need a recent rom
    (current standard VERSION is 2.09,
    in which the default KEYTIME of 1138 is about
    1/7 seconds, which is far longer than necessary).

    You also can not expect "N-key rollover,"
    due to inevitable "aliasing":
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c0def7ab5fa1ba
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8033f0c272c31e

    [r->] [OFF]

  6. Re: Had enough!

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 05:21:59 -0500

    > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 04:23:42 -0500, Kevin wrote:
    >> My 49G+ is CNA 53401... still misses keystrokes.

    Probably because it's now Friday the 13th!

    There can be mismatches between serial numbers and keyboard types;
    the following thread illustrates one such case,
    as well as a means to determine which type it is,
    by carefully inspecting the SD slot:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....39b09464c15acc

    Has anyone any photos to illustrate the different SD slots?

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: Had enough!

    On Apr 13, 4:23 am, "Kevin" wrote:
    > My 49G+ is CNA 53401... still misses keystrokes.
    > Is there something similar to keytime for the 33s?

    While the problems with the early 49g+ have been well documented here
    and elsewhere, however, the 33s has never been known to have keyboard
    problems on a large scale. In fact, I don't think I've heard of a
    problem like you describe ever before. Given that, I'd say you have a
    defective unit, and it would be very unlikely for a replacement to
    have the same problems. Please don't judge the 33s based on your
    unlucky pick, you'll be happier. (The latest models have clearer
    decimal points also)
    -Jonathan

  8. Re: Had enough!

    On Apr 13, 8:17 am, "bokubob" wrote:
    > On Apr 13, 4:23 am, "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    > > My 49G+ is CNA 53401... still misses keystrokes.
    > > Is there something similar to keytime for the 33s?

    > While the problems with the early 49g+ have been well documented here
    > and elsewhere, however, the 33s has never been known to have keyboard
    > problems on a large scale. In fact, I don't think I've heard of a
    > problem like you describe ever before. Given that, I'd say you have a
    > defective unit, and it would be very unlikely for a replacement to
    > have the same problems. Please don't judge the 33s based on your
    > unlucky pick, you'll be happier. (The latest models have clearer
    > decimal points also)
    > -Jonathan

    does the 33s have the same problems as the 49G+?? because I'm planning
    to buy one for a test...

  9. Re: Had enough!

    J.Chen wrote:
    > On Apr 13, 8:17 am, "bokubob" wrote:
    >> On Apr 13, 4:23 am, "Kevin" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My 49G+ is CNA 53401... still misses keystrokes.
    >>> Is there something similar to keytime for the 33s?

    >> While the problems with the early 49g+ have been well documented here
    >> and elsewhere, however, the 33s has never been known to have keyboard
    >> problems on a large scale. In fact, I don't think I've heard of a
    >> problem like you describe ever before. Given that, I'd say you have a
    >> defective unit, and it would be very unlikely for a replacement to
    >> have the same problems. Please don't judge the 33s based on your
    >> unlucky pick, you'll be happier. (The latest models have clearer
    >> decimal points also)
    >> -Jonathan

    > does the 33s have the same problems as the 49G+?? because I'm planning
    > to buy one for a test...

    The 33S has it's own, different set of problems -- chief of which is its
    extreme ugliness in my eyes. (It's not even the kind of ugliness which
    is likely to grow endearing later.) The ugliness flows from the shape
    of the keyboard and the color choices for the shifted keys, so your
    mileage may vary. It feels light but solid, the decimal point and comma
    are a little small for my taste but visible, the keys feel fine and I'm
    not prone to miskey with it, but then I'm not a high-speed keyer. I use
    it rarely enough that I sometimes have trouble finding the function I
    want on the keyboard (I've spent upward of half a minute trying to find
    pi). Several bugs have been fixed. There are still a few bugs in some
    algorithms, but none are show-stoppers IMO. Apart from that, it's a
    functional superset of the 32SII.

    --
    Dave Boyd
    "That's sucker talk."

  10. Re: Had enough!

    On Apr 13, 3:20 pm, "J.Chen" wrote:
    > does the 33s have the same problems as the 49G+?? because I'm planning
    > to buy one for a test...

    No. The keys on the 33s are very high quality, have a good positive
    feel to them and are not known to miss or double key presses. I have
    one that has lived through a few years in my backpack, dropped,
    stepped on and sat on, and it still works perfectly.

    -Jonathan

  11. Re: Had enough!

    HP33s

    CNA5420**** misses key strokes, all the time.
    CNA6080**** better, but still misses some keystrokes

    HP32SII, HP42, HP41CX etc etc never a missed keystroke.

    I will pay the premium price if HP will build real calcs. They should not
    need to evolve, they know how to make a good product. The corporate GR/n/eed
    to extract the last tenth of a penny profit from a product is what is
    killing the big companys. Like HP, GM, Chyrsler, Ford, Microsoft. I hate ALG
    calcs, but I can use them, I will take accuracy over simplicity every
    time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been to Texas, it ain't bad.

    "Kevin" wrote in message
    news:LpidnfZ0RLGZ0YLbnZ2dnUVZ_ternZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > My 49G+ is CNA 53401... still misses keystrokes.
    > Is there something similar to keytime for the 33s?
    >

    > "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    > newsp.tqpjj6nknn735j@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu...
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:22:51 -0500, Kevin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am a long time HP fanatic. 2 HP48GX, 2 HP41CX, 4 HP32SII, 1 HP11C, 1
    >>> HP45,
    >>> 1 HP35, 1 HP42S, 1 HP28S. I enjoy programming them and using them for
    >>> everyday stuff. I had to purchase a 49G+ to update some programs
    >>> what a piece of...

    >> Manufacturing of 49G+ evolved over time,
    >> and at the end was as good as the now relabeled 50G --
    >> but you need either a vintage chart or close examination
    >> of the cork [or SD slot] to know which lot wasn't vinegar:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c86482eaac349a
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c4a62e9fa7e6c3
    >>
    >> -[ ]-

  12. Re: Had enough!

    I looked but as far as I can tell the only company making RPN
    calculators is HP, so it doesn't seem to me to be any choice but to
    buy HP. I used a 41c for 25+ years until I killed it by dropping it
    on the floor. I can use other calculators, but I am mostly crippled
    by my RPN mindset.

    If it weren't for my RPN handicap I probably wouldn't have replaced
    the 41c with another HP. But what can you do?

    On Apr 12, 10:15 pm, "ME" wrote:
    > I understand but unfortunately HP has been dumping junk disguised as
    > calculators to rip off its loyal customers. When I first opened up a 49G+ I
    > laughed till I cried. The joke is on us poor dumb suckers that keep buying
    > their junk!

+ Reply to Thread