why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g - Hewlett Packard ; on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if I say 12 * 2* pi, I just ...

  1. why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    just treat pi as 3.14

  2. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On 11 abr, 20:42, Vincent wrote:
    > on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    > solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    > I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    > just treat pi as 3.14

    Just enter MODE CAS and select numeric and aprox. That's all;
    and ....RTFM (read the ****ing manual), please

  3. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:42:28 -0400, Vincent
    wrote:

    >on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    >solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    >I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    >just treat pi as 3.14

    Learn how to use it!

  4. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    Vincent wrote:
    > on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    > solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    > I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    > just treat pi as 3.14

    Short answer: Above the enter key, you will find an orange ->NUM. Press
    right-shift, then Enter. Viola, symbolic is converted to numeric.

    Less short answer: There's a mode called Exact in which answers appear
    symbolically, and a mode called Approximate in which answers are
    converted to numeric results. To toggle between these modes, press
    Mode, pick the CAS menu item, and toggle the "Approx" field; or, as a
    shortcut, just be at the normal stack display, and HOLD the right-shift
    key while pressing Enter. (A little icon in the upper part of the
    display will switch between '=' and '~'.)

    There's a few other modes. They are worth digging into the manuals to
    discover. The HP-50G, like most HPs, works differently enough from the
    way its competitors do, to require some careful study in order to get
    the most out of it; but that study will be well rewarded. Good luck!

    --
    Dave Boyd
    "That's sucker talk."

  5. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On 11 Apr, 21:03, Dave Boyd wrote:
    > Vincent wrote:
    > > on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    > > solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    > > I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    > > just treat pi as 3.14

    > Short answer: Above the enter key, you will find an orange ->NUM. Press
    > right-shift, then Enter. Viola, symbolic is converted to numeric.
    >
    > Less short answer: There's a mode called Exact in which answers appear
    > symbolically, and a mode called Approximate in which answers are
    > converted to numeric results. To toggle between these modes, press
    > Mode, pick the CAS menu item, and toggle the "Approx" field; or, as a
    > shortcut, just be at the normal stack display, and HOLD the right-shift
    > key while pressing Enter. (A little icon in the upper part of the
    > display will switch between '=' and '~'.)
    >
    > There's a few other modes. They are worth digging into the manuals to
    > discover. The HP-50G, like most HPs, works differently enough from the
    > way its competitors do, to require some careful study in order to get
    > the most out of it; but that study will be well rewarded. Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Dave Boyd
    > "That's sucker talk."
    > -- Raven, _This_Gun_For_Hire_, Universal, 1942

    Despie Vincent's quite *straightforward* request, I vote for Dave's
    type of answer...
    I always remember to myself that I'll be in time of needing help
    sometime
    Apart from that, I second the urge to browse through manuals &
    available doc, as a form of learning discipline (and, why not?, as a
    form of respect to those willing to help anyway).
    ....My age is starting to rule my attitude..?
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  6. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    Giancarlo wrote:
    > Despie Vincent's quite *straightforward* request, I vote for Dave's
    > type of answer...
    > I always remember to myself that I'll be in time of needing help
    > sometime

    Thanks. I remember making many requests like Vincent's, once upon a
    time. So it's easy to see myself there... even so, I have a long way
    to go before I qualify for the John H. Meyers Generous Helping award.
    This group has high standards to live up to, both in willingness to
    help, and in urging the reading of manuals...

    > Apart from that, I second the urge to browse through manuals &
    > available doc, as a form of learning discipline (and, why not?, as a
    > form of respect to those willing to help anyway).
    > ....My age is starting to rule my attitude..?

    Maybe so. Maybe here too!

    --
    Dave Boyd
    "That's sucker talk."
    -- Raven, _This_Gun_For_Hire_, Universal, 1942

  7. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On 11 Apr, 21:03, Dave Boyd wrote:
    > Vincent wrote:
    > > on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    > > solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    > > I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    > > just treat pi as 3.14

    > Short answer: Above the enter key, you will find an orange ->NUM. Press
    > right-shift, then Enter. Viola, symbolic is converted to numeric.
    >
    > Less short answer: There's a mode called Exact in which answers appear
    > symbolically, and a mode called Approximate in which answers are
    > converted to numeric results. To toggle between these modes, press
    > Mode, pick the CAS menu item, and toggle the "Approx" field; or, as a
    > shortcut, just be at the normal stack display, and HOLD the right-shift
    > key while pressing Enter. (A little icon in the upper part of the
    > display will switch between '=' and '~'.)
    >
    > There's a few other modes. They are worth digging into the manuals to
    > discover. The HP-50G, like most HPs, works differently enough from the
    > way its competitors do, to require some careful study in order to get
    > the most out of it; but that study will be well rewarded. Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Dave Boyd
    > "That's sucker talk."
    > -- Raven, _This_Gun_For_Hire_, Universal, 1942

    Despite Vincent's quite *straightforward* query I second Dave's
    type of feedback - I always like to remember that I will be needing
    help sometime
    Anyway, I appreciate and reinforce the urge to read manuals and
    available docs as a form of *learning discipline*.
    But maybe my age is leading my attitude
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  8. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On Apr 11, 3:03 pm, Dave Boyd wrote:
    > Vincent wrote:
    > > on my 50G is there a way than when Pi is in an equation that I am
    > > solving, than when I hit enter the pi does stay there, I hate this, if
    > > I say 12 * 2* pi, I just get 12 * pi, I want this to stop and for it to
    > > just treat pi as 3.14

    > Short answer: Above the enter key, you will find an orange ->NUM. Press
    > right-shift, then Enter. Viola, symbolic is converted to numeric.
    >
    > Less short answer: There's a mode called Exact in which answers appear
    > symbolically, and a mode called Approximate in which answers are
    > converted to numeric results. To toggle between these modes, press
    > Mode, pick the CAS menu item, and toggle the "Approx" field; or, as a
    > shortcut, just be at the normal stack display, and HOLD the right-shift
    > key while pressing Enter. (A little icon in the upper part of the
    > display will switch between '=' and '~'.)
    >
    > There's a few other modes. They are worth digging into the manuals to
    > discover. The HP-50G, like most HPs, works differently enough from the
    > way its competitors do, to require some careful study in order to get
    > the most out of it; but that study will be well rewarded. Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Dave Boyd
    > "That's sucker talk."
    > -- Raven, _This_Gun_For_Hire_, Universal, 1942

    Can I make a silly question?

    I knew about the ->NUM and the "aprox mode" in the CAS, and I read the
    manuals for my HP48gx, although there is no CAS in that beauty. Now I
    have a 50g.

    The thing is that I use to toggle between the aprox and exact modes
    often because I use many progs that need to be run in aprox mode.
    Anyway, in both modes the calc displays PI symbolically.
    I tried another field in the mode-> CAS menu that says
    "numeric" (replace constants by values) and that's the one that
    replaces pi for 3.14..

    Another thing,
    I have a EQ that I enter in the NUM SLV application. That EQ is
    actually equal to a variable, lets say Z.
    I want to enter some real numbers in the NUM SLV app, let's say: x, y,
    r, t and get Z to be: (x/y, r*t) <-- a complex number. But I get "Bad
    guess(es)"
    I verified the 128 flag, and I put it to "complex var allowed" but
    there's no case, I get the same "bad guess(es)"

    Sorry for the dumb question, I know I could do that silly operation
    from the stack and using the R->C command, but it just kept me
    wondering...

    salu2

  9. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On Apr 12, 3:18 pm, "DHCP" wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 3:03 pm, Dave Boyd wrote:
    >

    > > Vincent wrote:

    > The thing is that I use to toggle between the aprox and exact modes
    > often because I use many progs that need to be run in aprox mode.
    > Anyway, in both modes the calc displays PI symbolically.

    clear flags -2 -3 and -128 to see 'pi' instead of 3.14159....

  10. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    > clear flags -2 -3 and -128 to see 'pi' instead of 3.14159....

    flag -2 cleared = "symbolic costants stay simbolic [if flag -3 is
    clear]"
    flag -3 cleared = "symbolic arguments stay symbolic"
    flag -128 clear = "complex variables are allowed"

    For a full listing of flags you may find helpful to have a look at:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/docs/misc/flags14.zip
    "Complete document describing all the System flags (CAS ones included)
    for both HP49G and HP49G+ calculators. In PDF format.
    By Federico Marziali (Kickaha)."

    Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  11. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    Giancarlo wrote:
    >> clear flags -2 -3 and -128 to see 'pi' instead of 3.14159....

    > flag -2 cleared = "symbolic costants stay simbolic [if flag -3 is
    > clear]"
    > flag -3 cleared = "symbolic arguments stay symbolic"
    > flag -128 clear = "complex variables are allowed"
    >
    > For a full listing of flags you may find helpful to have a look at:
    >
    > http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/docs/misc/flags14.zip
    > "Complete document describing all the System flags (CAS ones included)
    > for both HP49G and HP49G+ calculators. In PDF format.
    > By Federico Marziali (Kickaha)."
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > Best regards.
    > Giancarlo

    Ok here is a faq for the 50g: http://hp50g.pbwiki.com/faq Can we quit
    shouting down the new users and just help them out, nothing more off
    putting than asking a question and being shouted down, most likely the
    new user will just avoid the calc completely.
    Also if the regulars could read through the FAQ and verify its contents,
    the more info the better, thanks.
    Mick C
    Oh yes and feel free to use the FAQ as your own, Cheers Mick

  12. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    Just ignore if you think that you read enough complaints about HP 50Gs
    for the day

    .....RTFM (read the ****ing manual), please

    Very creative and highly motivating words to write to a beginner ...

    This answer pushed my feelings about HPs, which I was trying to
    forget, back to the surface again.

    Why a calculator needs so much adjustments to operate like it should
    when it is turned on for the first time?
    Do all the HP calculators are intended to be sold only to the
    experienced HP calculator users? Isn't there any room for the new ones
    in the club?
    Does it have to be so hard to personalize a HP calculator in order not
    the experience any awkward situations while doing the calculations in
    a manner that you feel confortable?
    Does it have to be so hard to personalize a HP calculator that you
    forget how you did it the next time you need to do it again?
    Do all the HP calculators have to have some hidden Flags, or commands
    - which do not have syntax compability - which makes you to read that
    "FM" over and over again

    Do not get me wrong, I've realized how a calculator should be after
    passing through some hard times with my HP 48GX, 49G+ and now 50G but
    I couldn't get the point of making them less user friendly

  13. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    > Do not get me wrong, I've realized how a calculator should be after
    > passing through some hard times with my HP 48GX, 49G+ and now 50G but
    > I couldn't get the point of making them less user friendly

    It's actualy quite simple flexibility often goes agenst usability
    if not so direct then it's this :
    -when you have a flexible product inherently you need to learn more and take
    care
    of more things (flags, settings etc)

    Off topic comment for those still complaining about HPs and comparing to
    TIs:
    Don't worry it's far beyond TI-Nspire
    (which is *math learning tool* not realy in a class of programable,
    expandable, scientific -yes HP class of calculator)
    .... it's ugly too :-)

    manjo
    P.S.
    "FM" really does help in cases like this "Pi"
    -so fly trugh it once just to know your operation frame

  14. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    ilkorur@gmail.com wrote:
    > Just ignore if you think that you read enough complaints about HP 50Gs
    > for the day
    >
    > ....RTFM (read the ****ing manual), please
    >
    > Very creative and highly motivating words to write to a beginner ...

    but that was the best answer here.

    type 3xPI on a TI89, and you'd get the same result too

    The difference between exact and approximate mode, as well as how to get
    a numerical answer in explained in the first pages of the manual.

    JY

  15. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On 13 Apr 2007 07:14:02 -0700, ilkorur@gmail.com wrote:

    >Just ignore if you think that you read enough complaints about HP 50Gs
    >for the day

    >....RTFM (read the ****ing manual), please

    >Very creative and highly motivating words to write to a beginner ...

    >This answer pushed my feelings about HPs, which I was trying to
    >forget, back to the surface again.

    >Why a calculator needs so much adjustments to operate like it should
    >when it is turned on for the first time?

    oh, you poor baby!

    Take it back and get a $25 casio and please kindly just **** off.
    You're too stupid to appreciate an HP calculator. You and casio
    deserve each other.

  16. Re: why doesnt pi calculate? on 50g

    On Apr 11, 6:23 pm, Dave Boyd wrote:
    > Giancarlo wrote:
    > > Despie Vincent's quite *straightforward* request, I vote for Dave's
    > > type of answer...
    > > I always remember to myself that I'll be in time of needing help
    > > sometime

    > Thanks. I remember making many requests like Vincent's, once upon a
    > time. So it's easy to see myself there... even so, I have a long way
    > to go before I qualify for the John H. Meyers Generous Helping award.
    > This group has high standards to live up to, both in willingness to
    > help, and in urging the reading of manuals...
    >
    > > Apart from that, I second the urge to browse through manuals &
    > > available doc, as a form of learning discipline (and, why not?, as a
    > > form of respect to those willing to help anyway).
    > > ....My age is starting to rule my attitude..?

    > Maybe so. Maybe here too!
    >
    > --
    > Dave Boyd
    > "That's sucker talk."
    > -- Raven, _This_Gun_For_Hire_, Universal, 1942

    Thank you, Dave Boyd. And Shame on You, Dazir and AZ Nomad. Here we
    are trying to help, and heaping scorn on those less experienced that
    you in this particular tiny space of human intellectual endeavor
    is ... tawdry. (Look it up. If you don't have to look it up, I
    apologize for descending to the same level as your posts seem to be
    at.)
    Irl

+ Reply to Thread