New TI-Nspire - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on New TI-Nspire - Hewlett Packard ; I think you know that TI has announced its new TI-Nspire line: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/t...pire-calculat/ Now, it is your turn HP ;-) Best regards, J.Manrique...

  1. New TI-Nspire

    I think you know that TI has announced its new TI-Nspire line:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/t...pire-calculat/

    Now, it is your turn HP ;-)

    Best regards,

    J.Manrique

  2. Re: New TI-Nspire

    On Apr 11, 8:24 am, "jsmanri...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I think you know that TI has announced its new TI-Nspire line:http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/t...nally-gets-fre...
    >
    > Now, it is your turn HP ;-)
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > J.Manrique

    Don't hold your breathe waiting for a better HP calculator. The 50g
    hasn't been around for very long and it really wasn't an upgrade from
    the 49g+ except for a color change and an extra battery. I get the
    distinct impression that HP wants to sell calculators only as long as
    it doesn't take any engineering investment and when it does? I expect
    them to quite the business.

  3. Re: New TI-Nspire

    On 11 Apr 2007 11:34:57 -0700, "JB" wrote:

    >On Apr 11, 8:24 am, "jsmanri...@gmail.com"
    >wrote:
    >> I think you know that TI has announced its new TI-Nspire line:http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/t...nally-gets-fre...
    >>
    >> Now, it is your turn HP ;-)
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> J.Manrique

    >Don't hold your breathe waiting for a better HP calculator. The 50g
    >hasn't been around for very long and it really wasn't an upgrade from
    >the 49g+ except for a color change and an extra battery. I get the
    >distinct impression that HP wants to sell calculators only as long as
    >it doesn't take any engineering investment and when it does? I expect
    >them to quite the business.

    You do not have 50g?

    Damir

  4. Re: New TI-Nspire

    > Don't hold your breathe waiting for a better HP calculator. The 50g
    > hasn't been around for very long and it really wasn't an upgrade from
    > the 49g+ except for a color change and an extra battery.

    True.

    > I get the
    > distinct impression that HP wants to sell calculators only as long as
    > it doesn't take any engineering investment and when it does? I expect
    > them to quite the business.

    I think that is a little harsh. The difference between now and 20
    years ago is they don't have thousands of employees. You can still
    get a lot of stuff done with small groups of people, it just takes
    longer and you need to work smarter.

    TW

  5. Re: New TI-Nspire

    wrote in message
    news:1176305064.051017.144280@n59g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    >I think you know that TI has announced its new TI-Nspire line:
    > http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/t...pire-calculat/
    >
    > Now, it is your turn HP ;-)

    Without full programmability, the TI-Nspire isn't the calculator for me.
    I don't need CAS, I need better programming features.

    Tom Lake

  6. Re: New TI-Nspire

    > Without full programmability, the TI-Nspire isn't the calculator for me.
    > I don't need CAS, I need better programming features.

    Right, however,

    they didn't fail to recognise the usability of the modular keyboard
    which i've been talking about in some of my posts here.

    Implementing details like that on concept of 50G,
    with better support (cables etc) HP can beat TI-Nspire with no effort...

    manjo

  7. Re: New TI-Nspire

    On Apr 11, 3:23 pm, "manjo" wrote:
    > > Without full programmability, the TI-Nspire isn't the calculator for me.
    > > I don't need CAS, I need better programming features.

    > Right, however,
    >
    > they didn't fail to recognize the usability of the modular keyboard
    > which I've been talking about in some of my posts here.
    >
    > Implementing details like that on concept of 50G,
    > with better support (cables etc) HP can beat TI-Nspire with no effort...
    >
    > manjo

    HP has never had any trouble keeping up with TI (not to denigrate TI,
    as TI does make top quality-albeit RPN deficient machines), and in
    fact HP is usually ahead of the curve. However, HP will have to be a
    little more serious about calculators if they wish to remain in the
    calculator biz (and I don't mean simply copying TI). Producing a
    uniquely HP calculator following in the the old HP tradition may be
    just what HP needs to become dominant in an extremely competitive
    field as they once were. I can't see a 50g ROM upgrade in the near
    future as the last one is only 6 months old, let alone the re-write
    needed to turn a 50g into a TI-Nspire.

    It will be interesting to see what HP pulls out of their hat to
    compete with the TI-Nspire.
    I remain hopeful :-)

  8. Re: New TI-Nspire

    Mike Bryant wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 3:23 pm, "manjo" wrote:
    >>> Without full programmability, the TI-Nspire isn't the calculator for me.
    >>> I don't need CAS, I need better programming features.

    >> Right, however,
    >>
    >> they didn't fail to recognize the usability of the modular keyboard
    >> which I've been talking about in some of my posts here.
    >>
    >> Implementing details like that on concept of 50G,
    >> with better support (cables etc) HP can beat TI-Nspire with no effort...
    >>
    >> manjo

    > HP has never had any trouble keeping up with TI (not to denigrate TI,
    > as TI does make top quality-albeit RPN deficient machines), and in
    > fact HP is usually ahead of the curve. However, HP will have to be a
    > little more serious about calculators if they wish to remain in the
    > calculator biz (and I don't mean simply copying TI). Producing a
    > uniquely HP calculator following in the the old HP tradition may be
    > just what HP needs to become dominant in an extremely competitive
    > field as they once were. I can't see a 50g ROM upgrade in the near
    > future as the last one is only 6 months old, let alone the re-write
    > needed to turn a 50g into a TI-Nspire.
    >
    > It will be interesting to see what HP pulls out of their hat to
    > compete with the TI-Nspire.
    > I remain hopeful :-)

    Does "HP-35 Anniversary Edition" sound like it will meet your expectations?
    ;-)

    --
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey

  9. Re: New TI-Nspire

    TI's entire focus is on the education market. Their calculator products
    aren't even listed on their regular website. They've acknowledged that the
    standalone calculator is now only a test-taking tool, which prevents the
    student from having access to all the features of a computer. They've
    forsaken us middle-aged gadget geeks who have romantic memories of the novel
    electronic calculators of our youth.

    HP, on the other hand, is still willing to patronize us. There's not much
    of a market, though. Unless they decide to compete with TI in the education
    market, developing calculators to the specs of the standardized test makers,
    they'll never be able to justify throwing sufficient resources at a
    significant engineering calculator. Yes, I love using my 50g and my 17bII+,
    but I have software on each of my PDAs and Smartphones that can do
    everything those calculators do. And the Mathematica clone that I have on
    my little subnotebook PC, well that has amazing capabilities.

    Handheld electronic calculators were cool in the 70s, ubiquitous in the 80s,
    and anachronistic in the '90s (except in the education market). The
    existing ones are still as capable as they ever were, but there's not a
    sufficient market to fund major breakthroughs in the product segment. But
    still, I hope and dream of the HP60g -- whatever features it has.

    "JB" wrote in message
    news:1176316497.146200.59400@o5g2000hsb.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On Apr 11, 8:24 am, "jsmanri...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> I think you know that TI has announced its new TI-Nspire
    >> line:http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/t...nally-gets-fre...
    >>
    >> Now, it is your turn HP ;-)
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> J.Manrique

    > Don't hold your breathe waiting for a better HP calculator. The 50g
    > hasn't been around for very long and it really wasn't an upgrade from
    > the 49g+ except for a color change and an extra battery. I get the
    > distinct impression that HP wants to sell calculators only as long as
    > it doesn't take any engineering investment and when it does? I expect
    > them to quite the business.

  10. Re: New TI-Nspire

    On Apr 12, 7:09 pm, "Manatee" wrote:
    "There's not much of a market, though."

    The high school market is of course huge and the college and
    professional market has been estimated to be another one third of the
    high school market. Calculators are cash cows for Hp, Ti, and Casio
    but there seems to be a short sighted reluctance to invest some of
    this profit in future products. For example the 50g really wasn't
    much different than the 49g+. On the other hand HP seems to produce a
    new printer design every six months.

    And the Mathematica clone that I have on
    my little subnotebook PC, well that has amazing capabilities.

    Tell me more. I'm interested and would like to hear more about that.
    What brand/model of pc and what software? Thanks.

  11. Re: New TI-Nspire

    I think the natural evolution of the top of the line graphing scientific
    calculator would be to include more of the capabilities possible on a
    computer, which is to blow up the display (maybe half VGA) and increase the
    speed to what computers were like 10 years ago, while keeping the same
    software concepts and hardware features, making it function like a portable
    Matlab platform (sort of like the Qonos machine or the upcoming TI-Nspire).
    Maybe adding something like the TI-keyboard accessory wouldn't be so
    ridiculous if you program a lot on the calculator. It should be a
    professional tool that helps you in learning and serves you at work rather
    than being a test taking tool. Of course a laptop encompasses all of the
    calculator's capabilities, so it has to be cost effective, power efficient,
    and portable.

    > HP, on the other hand, is still willing to patronize us. There's not much
    > of a market, though. Unless they decide to compete with TI in the
    > education market, developing calculators to the specs of the standardized
    > test makers, they'll never be able to justify throwing sufficient
    > resources at a significant engineering calculator. Yes, I love using my
    > 50g and my 17bII+, but I have software on each of my PDAs and Smartphones
    > that can do everything those calculators do. And the Mathematica clone
    > that I have on my little subnotebook PC, well that has amazing
    > capabilities.
    >
    > Handheld electronic calculators were cool in the 70s, ubiquitous in the
    > 80s, and anachronistic in the '90s (except in the education market). The
    > existing ones are still as capable as they ever were, but there's not a
    > sufficient market to fund major breakthroughs in the product segment. But
    > still, I hope and dream of the HP60g -- whatever features it has.

+ Reply to Thread