Tranferring objects from HP48 to HP50 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Tranferring objects from HP48 to HP50 - Hewlett Packard ; I have lots of programs and data on my old HP48, which I would like to transfer to my new 50G. Is there any way to transfer data using IR? I don't have the HP48 serial cable... Maybe it would ...

  1. Tranferring objects from HP48 to HP50

    I have lots of programs and data on my old HP48, which I would like to
    transfer to my new 50G. Is there any way to transfer data using IR? I
    don't have the HP48 serial cable...
    Maybe it would be possible (if a direct transfer is impossible) to
    relay the data through a PC, or a Psion palmtop (which I have and
    which has an IR port)? This wouldn't need to be an "easy" or user-
    friendly transfer, as it would only be needed once...
    Any other ideas?

    Thanks
    Cristian

  2. Re: Tranferring objects from HP48 to HP50

    On Apr 7, 7:07 am, usenet1.20.qu...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
    > I have lots of programs and data on my old HP48, which I would like to
    > transfer to my new 50G. Is there any way to transfer data using IR? I
    > don't have the HP48 serial cable...
    > Maybe it would be possible (if a direct transfer is impossible) to
    > relay the data through a PC, or a Psion palmtop (which I have and
    > which has an IR port)? This wouldn't need to be an "easy" or user-
    > friendly transfer, as it would only be needed once...
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Cristian

    What I can confirm is that direct IR/IR communications is impossible.
    I tried it, and finally went to the mountain (HP help line). They
    said the wavelengths were incompatible. I was using the 48 and 49g+,
    but the 49G+ and the 50G are essentially the same. I think the 48's
    IR is compatible with other gear, but I don't want to speculate beyond
    that.

  3. Re: Tranferring objects from HP48 to HP50

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 06:07:08 -0500, Cristian wrote:

    > I have lots of programs and data on my old HP48,
    > which I would like to transfer to my new 50G.

    The user programming language is the same between these series,
    but binary objects are generally incompatible.

    > Maybe it would be possible to relay the data through a PC,
    > or a Psion palmtop (which I have and which has an IR port)?
    > This wouldn't need to be an "easy" or user-friendly transfer,
    > as it would only be needed once...
    > Any other ideas?

    You could transfer each individual item out of your HP48
    to a computer using Kermit in "Ascii" (text file) mode,
    then similarly import all to your HP50 (using the HP50
    transfer program for USB cable). The "Conn4x" transfer program
    for HP49/50 series may also work with HP48.

    If any subdirectory (not HOME) consists entirely of
    UserRPL programs or objects (things which you can edit
    on the calculator), then you can transfer that entire
    directory as a single object (still must be in Ascii mode);
    you could even test this by recalling the entire directory
    and seeing whether it is all readable in the editor.

    Most non-editable items will contain the word
    "External" when you attempt to edit or display them as text,
    and this itself can be used as an automated test, e.g.:

    @ Test item on stack for UserRPL compatibility
    \<< \->STR "Ext" "ernal" + POS "Binary" "UserRPL" IFTE \>>
    'BTEST' STO

    The reason for breaking up the word "External" above
    is so that this program can pass its own test.

    When I transferred my HP48GX contents to HP49G,
    I first backed up my HP48 and loaded my backup
    into the Emu48 emulator, which can emulate
    both HP48 and HP49/50 series; I then performed
    all transfers by recalling each item to my HP48 stack,
    then invoking a program called OUT to make it plain text,
    then using copy/paste (within the emulator itself)
    to transfer that same text to the separately emulated HP49,
    then I typed IN on the HP49 to re-create the original program
    (this can also be done with entire pure UserRPL subdirectories,
    making the move somewhat more efficient
    by using larger single gulps and thus fewer transfer steps).

    When I was done, I made a memory backup on my emulated HP49,
    and transferred that in one gulp to my real HP49.

    If you have an SD card and an SD slot or adapter on your computer,
    this also facilitates transfers of files between PC and HP50/49G+

    "Transfering User RPL programs from HP48GX to HP49" [IN/OUT programs]
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6216f7db897f4b

    It would be possible to add the above "External" test
    to the above programs, as an extra convenience feature,
    to warn about non-transferable objects.

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: Tranferring objects from HP48 to HP50

    On Apr 7, 7:07 am, usenet1.20.qu...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
    > I have lots of programs and data on my old HP48, which I would like to
    > transfer to my new 50G. Is there any way to transfer data using IR? I
    > don't have the HP48 serial cable...
    > Maybe it would be possible (if a direct transfer is impossible) to
    > relay the data through a PC, or a Psion palmtop (which I have and
    > which has an IR port)? This wouldn't need to be an "easy" or user-
    > friendly transfer, as it would only be needed once...
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Cristian

    The hp 48 serial cable is available (cheap) at
    http://www.samsoncables.com/catalog/...195&Sku=SCHP48

    They are also planning to produce a serial cable for the 50G, too.

+ Reply to Thread