Convert units on HP50 as on HP48 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Convert units on HP50 as on HP48 - Hewlett Packard ; Is there a way to convert units on the HP50 as we did on the 48GX without using the CONVERT(X,Y) command? Harold A Climer University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy Room 309 Grote Hall 615 McCallie Ave ...

  1. Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    Is there a way to convert units on the HP50 as we did
    on the 48GX without using the CONVERT(X,Y) command?
    Harold A Climer
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
    Room 309 Grote Hall
    615 McCallie Ave
    Chattanooga TN 37403
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  2. Re: Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    Harold A Climer wrote:
    > Is there a way to convert units on the HP50 as we did
    > on the 48GX without using the CONVERT(X,Y) command?

    Err... the old HP48 Units menu is present as right-shift 6. Prof. Dr.
    Rautenberg's Unitman still works fine, too. Naturally, you need to have
    the soft-menu flag set (-117 SF). Is that what you meant?

    --
    Dave Boyd
    "That's sucker talk."

  3. Re: Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:03:12 -0400, Dave Boyd
    wrote:

    >Harold A Climer wrote:
    >> Is there a way to convert units on the HP50 as we did
    >> on the 48GX without using the CONVERT(X,Y) command?

    >Err... the old HP48 Units menu is present as right-shift 6. Prof. Dr.
    >Rautenberg's Unitman still works fine, too. Naturally, you need to have
    >the soft-menu flag set (-117 SF). Is that what you meant?

    Thanks. That is what I meant. It is amazing how things work
    "correctly" when flag 117 is on.
    I was wondering why the designers of the 50 thought it necessary to
    have to set this flag for the soft menus. I am really not an expert,
    but was this also true in the 48GX, 49G and 49G+ too, or is this new
    to the 50G.
    What, if any advantages does not having flag 117 set bring to the
    calculator?
    Harold A Climer
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
    Room 309 Grote Hall
    615 McCallie Ave
    Chattanooga TN 37403
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  4. Re: Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    newsp.tqag4buhnn735j@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu...
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:39:50 -0500, Harold A Climer wrote:

    [snip]

    > the HP49G then began to try to make *everything*
    > become a "choose" menu -- which often failed,
    > especially for the special shifted operations,
    > the "little box in menu label" items,

    speaking of which... does anyone know how one can get information on how to
    program a custom menu with soft keys that display the little box when flag
    or setting is toggled ( like the soft keys in << 65 MENU >>)?

    Greg

  5. Re: Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    > speaking of which... does anyone know how one can get information on how to
    > program a custom menu with soft keys that display the little box when flag
    > or setting is toggled ( like the soft keys in << 65 MENU >>)?

    Yup. Do it all the time. Requires sysRPL or the use of SYSEVALS.
    This example tests system flag 62 (user mode).

    ::
    "USR"
    % 62.
    COERCE
    TestSysFlag
    Box/StdLabel
    ;

    << "USR" 62. #262F1h SYSEVAL #26170h SYSEVAL #25E7Fh SYSEVAL >>

    TW

  6. Re: Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    TW wrote:
    > ::
    > "USR"
    > % 62.
    > COERCE
    > TestSysFlag
    > Box/StdLabel
    > ;
    >
    > << "USR" 62. #262F1h SYSEVAL #26170h SYSEVAL #25E7Fh SYSEVAL >>

    Hum, you're missing a TakeOver somewhere here, which can't be done in
    UserRPL

  7. Re: Convert units on HP50 as on HP48

    > Hum, you're missing a TakeOver somewhere here, which can't be done in
    > UserRPL

    Of course. I wasn't giving the program one would actually use in a
    menu but rather just trying to show which commands will create the
    label. I should have added that detail in.

    TW

+ Reply to Thread