FlashTools 1.0 released - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on FlashTools 1.0 released - Hewlett Packard ; New programs! FlashTools is a set of tools to manage your flash memory, works on 49G +/50G and hopefully 49G (untested as I don't have one). It allows to: * Delete and undelete specific items * Move items between banks ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. FlashTools 1.0 released

    New programs!

    FlashTools is a set of tools to manage your flash memory, works on 49G
    +/50G and hopefully 49G (untested as I don't have one).

    It allows to:

    * Delete and undelete specific items
    * Move items between banks
    * Repack flash banks to eliminate deleted items
    * RCL items from flash (including deleted)
    * STO objects to a specific flash bank

    It was uploaded today to hpcalc.org, so it may take a few days to be
    available.

    It's based on the original Port Browser from Thomas Rast, which I
    improved, fixed minor bugs, and built the tools around it. Thanks to
    him for his very useful tool.

    Check it out! But use it at your own risk...
    Claudio

  2. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:52:42 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > FlashTools is a set of tools to manage your flash memory,
    > works on 49G +/50G and hopefully 49G (untested as I don't have one).

    > It was uploaded today to www.hpcalc.org,
    > so it may take a few days to be available.

    The last update there was January 13th, 2007;
    I've sent some corrections there, both via email
    and upload, but it looks as if Eric may be
    too busy to attend to it very often just now.

    Would you consider meanwhile also uploading it
    to some "free file host" and posting its URL here?
    That might expedite things until Eric has time
    to catch up with all that's been piled up
    in his Inbox and the "upload queue."

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    > Would you consider meanwhile also uploading it
    > to some "free file host" and posting its URL here?
    > That might expedite things until Eric has time
    > to catch up with all that's been piled up
    > in his Inbox and the "upload queue."

    I think he just doesn't update frequently simply because not many
    people are uploading things. Anyway, for a temporary solution I've
    setup an ftp account for anyone wanting to post HPcalc related stuff.
    We'll see how long it works without anyone abusing it.

    ftp.pssllc.com
    user:hpcalc
    pass:hpcalc

    Access the files by www.pssllc.com/hpcalc/...

    TW

  4. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Mar 31, 1:32 am, "TW" wrote:
    > > Would you consider meanwhile also uploading it
    > > to some "free file host" and posting its URL here?
    > > That might expedite things until Eric has time
    > > to catch up with all that's been piled up
    > > in his Inbox and the "upload queue."

    > I think he just doesn't update frequently simply because not many
    > people are uploading things. Anyway, for a temporary solution I've
    > setup an ftp account for anyone wanting to post HPcalc related stuff.
    > We'll see how long it works without anyone abusing it.
    >
    > ftp.pssllc.com
    > user:hpcalc
    > pass:hpcalc
    >
    > Access the files bywww.pssllc.com/hpcalc/...
    >
    > TW

    Thank you for the offer, but past experience with other websites and
    discussion groups is that nobody goes there. The right place for a
    program to be is hpcalc.org and the right group for calculator
    discussions is here. If Eric is busy at the moment, I think we should
    all respectfully wait for him. Maybe I shouldn't have made the
    announcement until Eric made the program available, but I just
    couldn't wait...

    Claudio

  5. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On 31 Mar 2007 11:34:16 -0700, "Claudio Lapilli"
    wrote:

    >On Mar 31, 1:32 am, "TW" wrote:
    >> > Would you consider meanwhile also uploading it
    >> > to some "free file host" and posting its URL here?
    >> > That might expedite things until Eric has time
    >> > to catch up with all that's been piled up
    >> > in his Inbox and the "upload queue."

    >> I think he just doesn't update frequently simply because not many
    >> people are uploading things. Anyway, for a temporary solution I've
    >> setup an ftp account for anyone wanting to post HPcalc related stuff.
    >> We'll see how long it works without anyone abusing it.
    >>
    >> ftp.pssllc.com
    >> user:hpcalc
    >> pass:hpcalc
    >>
    >> Access the files bywww.pssllc.com/hpcalc/...
    >>
    >> TW

    >Thank you for the offer, but past experience with other websites and
    >discussion groups is that nobody goes there. The right place for a
    >program to be is hpcalc.org and the right group for calculator
    >discussions is here. If Eric is busy at the moment, I think we should
    >all respectfully wait for him. Maybe I shouldn't have made the
    >announcement until Eric made the program available, but I just
    >couldn't wait...
    >
    >Claudio

  6. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:34:16 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > The right place for a program to be is hpcalc.org

    When I ported a particular HP program listed on "hpcalc"
    from 48 to 49 series, which someone desired immediately,
    their educational course might long have been over
    by the time my upload first became visible at www.hpcalc.org,
    so I also uploaded it to one of those "temporary file" places
    which require no registration for either upload or download:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....3ad421e8bbe80c

    Is this not something which we can use at any time,
    if we desire to get something into other people's hands
    for actual use immediately?

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Mar 31, 4:40 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:

    > Is this not something which we can use at any time,
    > if we desire to get something into other people's hands
    > for actual use immediately?
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    What's wrong with being patient? :-)

    OK, here it is...

    http://rapidshare.com/files/23719873...TOOLS.zip.html

    Claudio

  8. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    [about when uploading files to www.hpcalc.org,
    possibly also uploading a copy to a "temp file URL"
    for faster access to people who are in a hurry]

    The very calc application that I mentioned as an example
    (the "RAS30 Logistic Regression" program
    which I ported from "48" to "49" and sent back to "hpcalc")
    did eventually get added to www.hpcalc.org,
    but only the first version which contained
    a bad binary file got put on the site.

    I had already sent the corrected version to "hpcalc"
    even before its first appearance,
    and have since sent yet another, in case that earlier one
    got lost somewhere, but it has been months since I did that,
    and the version remaining posted at "hpcalc" is still the bad original.

    Eric does an outstanding service by maintaining his wonderful site,
    so I assume that he's much too busy with demands and responsibilities
    of "real life" to keep up with everything that's sent to the site;
    thus the thought that I'm putting forth here
    is not to put files anywhere else *instead* of hpcalc,
    but just a way to make an *extra*copy* downloadable at once,
    if an author desires, to relieve any pressure on "hpcalc"
    to catch up with the backlog, or on users to keep waiting for them.

    Temporary file posting services like "filefactory.com"
    generally fill a need for people to send "oversize"
    attachments which are too big for their ISP (or Yahoo etc.)
    email to handle, but they can also serve to expedite
    the delivery of any other files which are stuck
    in a long pipeline; the files are available only at
    temporary URLs that aren't indexed by any web crawlers,
    so they would never be in competition with "hpcalc,"
    which is where the file is destined to appear anyway,
    except via snail mail -- it's just a way
    to get the Post Office to do a "special delivery"
    a bit faster than waiting for the usual mailman

    [r->] [OFF]

  9. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:54:28 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > OK, here it is...

    Thanks for uploading it (while I was writing a previous post

    I couldn't download it, but that's just some technical problem --
    the site first said something about the link expiring
    almost instantly, then upon retrying, it said
    "Your IP-address is already downloading a file"
    (from the first attempt, which already failed?)
    or perhaps from one of the thousand other computers
    on this campus, which share the same single public IP address
    of the main firewall or router

    Interesting how it changes languages meanwhile:
    "Hoste deine Dateien KOSTENLOS bei RapidShare!"

    Thanks again, and hope that this idea
    (for temporary URLs while awaiting permanent filing at hpcalc)
    finds further utility in the future.

    [r->] [OFF]

  10. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    > OK, here it is...
    >
    > http://rapidshare.com/files/23719873...TOOLS.zip.html
    >
    > Claudio

    Thanks ! I got it and going to test it.

    Daniel

    P.D.: Nothing wrong on being patient, but .... thanks anyway.

  11. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:54:28 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > OK, here it is...

    Got it!

    Apparently is in part based on PFREE
    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=pfree

    Tried it only on a 49G emulated via Emu48,
    on which FMAN momentarily flashed a menu,
    then screen turned to "snow" and produced a TTRM.

    STOBANK starts out with an OVER before any CK --
    might that be a problem, if stack hasn't
    at least two args to begin with?
    (also, is the immediately following PTR 35069
    a supported or stable entry?)

    Thanks again for that quick upload, and best wishes.

    [r->] [OFF]

  12. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Mar 31, 7:21 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:54:28 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:
    > > OK, here it is...

    > Got it!
    >
    > Apparently is in part based on PFREEhttp://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=pfree

    It's built on top of it. PFREE does the screen display, and passes the
    menu commands to a sysRPL/assembler addition.
    I fixed a bug on PFREE, also improved the free memory calculation,
    added support for the big screen and skipped the flash banks that are
    no longer used in the ARM models. I also added interaction with my
    sysRPL code. The rest is the original code by Thomas Rast.

    > Tried it only on a 49G emulated via Emu48,
    > on which FMAN momentarily flashed a menu,
    > then screen turned to "snow" and produced a TTRM.

    Mmmm... all I did was to add the virtual opcode BIGAPP? to add 2 more
    lines to the screen on the existing PFREE code. I'll remove the "49G
    compatible" from the readme file. I don't have an original 49, so I
    can't test it. I normally don't use the emulator, but if I have time
    I'll give it a try and see why it's crashing.

    > STOBANK starts out with an OVER before any CK --
    > might that be a problem, if stack hasn't
    > at least two args to begin with?
    > (also, is the immediately following PTR 35069
    > a supported or stable entry?)

    Hey, what happened with the CK2NOLASTWD I had there? In the rush, I
    must have accidentally erased it at some point.
    I'll post the fixed version ASAP. Thanks for taking a look.

    That PTR is TYPELIB?, it may be unsupported but it's on EXTABLE, it
    should be the same between 49G and the G+ models.

    Thanks for the bug catch,
    Claudio

  13. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    Due to a bug reported by John Meyers and incompatibility with original
    49G, here's an updated version 1.01

    http://rapidshare.com/files/23739387...TOOLS.zip.html

    It fixes the bug and adds a **WARNING** note on the readme for users
    of the original 49G.

    Regards,
    Claudio

  14. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Mar 31, 8:00 pm, "Claudio Lapilli" wrote:
    > Due to a bug reported by John Meyers and incompatibility with original
    > 49G, here's an updated version 1.01
    >

    > It fixes the bug and adds a **WARNING** note on the readme for users
    > of the original 49G.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Claudio

    Please disregard that version. Here's the right one:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/23753293...LS102.zip.html

    Version 1.02, don't use any of the previous ones and remember, it's 49G
    + / 50G only until somebody has the guts to test it on a real 49G. The
    emulator crashes causing a total memory loss for no apparent reason on
    a 49G (original). You've been warned.

    Claudio

  15. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    > Version 1.02, don't use any of the previous ones and remember, it's 49G
    > + / 50G only until somebody has the guts to test it on a real 49G. The
    > emulator crashes causing a total memory loss for no apparent reason on
    > a 49G (original). You've been warned.

    Hmm, there are still some bugs to iron out in FMAN...

    1) CUT doesn't work correctly: it performs always a COPY
    2) When I pack some banks the program errors out with a "EVAL: Bad
    Argument Value" error. It must be noticed that I run FMAN putting it
    on the stack and pressing EVAL. After the error FMAN is still on the
    stack and no memory looks corrupted.

    Well, it's a pretty lousy bug report at the moment, so please tell me
    if you need more info!

    Ciao,

    Stefano

  16. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Apr 2, 4:28 am, "Stefano Priore" wrote:

    > Hmm, there are still some bugs to iron out in FMAN...

    Not that I know of... let's see:

    > 1) CUT doesn't work correctly: it performs always a COPY

    It works correctly. Look next to the name of the original object,
    you'll see a "D" indicating it's a deleted object when you use cut.

    > 2) When I pack some banks the program errors out with a "EVAL: Bad
    > Argument Value" error. It must be noticed that I run FMAN putting it
    > on the stack and pressing EVAL. After the error FMAN is still on the
    > stack and no memory looks corrupted.

    If you get an error is because the operation failed, most likely
    because you don't have enough memory to do the packing, but it could
    happen that your bank is corrupted somehow and it's giving you an
    error. It's an assembler program dealing with low-level stuff, so if
    you see an error messsage it's because the condition was detected and
    the error delibratedly generated, no data corruption should occur in
    such case. The stack is restored to what it was when you called the
    program, as in any error condition. So this is not a bug, it's an
    error condition properly dealt with.
    Don't worry, if there's an error I didn't take care of, your calc will
    crash and probably wipe off your memory, no nice error messages when
    you do low-level stuff :-). But I'm confident it's working fine, as I
    didn't lose my memory yet.

    Still, I don't know what could be wrong with that specific bank,
    though. Try deleting all objects first, then repack.

    Claudio

  17. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    >Still, I don't know what could be wrong ...

    Maybe older version?

    Damir

  18. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:48:46 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > I fixed a bug on PFREE, also improved the free memory calculation,
    > added support for the big screen and skipped the flash banks
    > that are no longer used in the ARM models.

    Then it's already not 49G compatible; by the way,
    PFREE (written for 49G) manages to keep working in 49G+ etc.,
    although it might be good to suppress it from displaying anything
    for non-existent areas.

    > [PTR 35069] is TYPELIB?,
    > it may be unsupported but it's on EXTABLE

    Not in mine -- downloaded yesterday from
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3245
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/programmi...es/extable.zip

    > it should be the same between 49G and the G+ models.

    The code I find at that address in my ROM [claiming to be 2.10] is:

    35069 A=A-1 A
    3506B A=DAT1 P
    3506F GOC 3509B ["Error: Insufficient Memory" if I look there!]
    35072 CLRST
    35074 GONC 350E7
    35077 LC 725802686351C

    Is that what you find in your ROM?

    [r->] [OFF]

  19. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Apr 2, 7:41 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:48:46 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:
    > > I fixed a bug on PFREE, also improved the free memory calculation,
    > > added support for the big screen and skipped the flash banks
    > > that are no longer used in the ARM models.

    > Then it's already not 49G compatible; by the way,
    > PFREE (written for 49G) manages to keep working in 49G+ etc.,
    > although it might be good to suppress it from displaying anything
    > for non-existent areas.

    Well, I added "detection" of the new model but supposedly keeping old
    model compatibility.
    I used the new virtual opcode BIGAPP?, which IIRC should simply be
    ignored in the old hardware. My logic worked fine becaue I tested it
    with the emulator on a 48GII, which returns false to the BIGAPP?
    question and the program worked fine, and adapted its display to the
    smaller screen correctly.
    At this point I don't know what could be causing incompatibiliy with
    the old model. If it's true that the old hardware ignores the new
    opcode, then it should simply work like it does on a 48GII.

    > > [PTR 35069] is TYPELIB?,
    > > it may be unsupported but it's on EXTABLE

    > Not in mine -- downloaded yesterday fromhttp://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3245http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/programming/entries/extable.zip

    Sorry, I should have said EXTABLE2 from Carsten Dominik. I've used his
    address database for years and is very reliable and more complete than
    the official.

    > > it should be the same between 49G and the G+ models.

    > The code I find at that address in my ROM [claiming to be 2.10] is:
    >
    > 35069 A=A-1 A
    > 3506B A=DAT1 P
    > 3506F GOC 3509B ["Error: Insufficient Memory" if I look there!]
    > 35072 CLRST
    > 35074 GONC 350E7
    > 35077 LC 725802686351C
    >
    > Is that what you find in your ROM?

    Yes, identical code (but that's not the code that gets executed,
    though, it doesn't make any sense). And I also got the strange error
    in Nosy when I tried to look there. But TYPELIB? is not causing a
    problem. I just tried :: CK1 TYPELIB? ; with different objects on the
    stack and got the expected behavior (TRUE for LIBS, FALSE for
    everything else).
    I've used the same PTR in FixSTO of the ARMToolbox and it never
    failed, tested by lots of people with rom versions starting with 1.23
    up.

    Claudio

  20. Re: FlashTools 1.0 released

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:29:49 -0500, Claudio Lapilli wrote:

    > I just tried :: CK1 TYPELIB? ; with different objects
    > on the stack and got the expected behavior
    > (TRUE for LIBS, FALSE for everything else).

    > I've used the same PTR in FixSTO of the ARMToolbox and
    > it never failed, tested by lots of people with rom versions
    > starting with 1.23 up.

    Okay, :: CK1 PTR 35069 ; seems to work in "2.10" --
    it's "Nosy" that didn't work, then

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast