Re: BASE help please. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: BASE help please. - Hewlett Packard ; On Mar 9, 9:26 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote: > \ = { R\->B } { NEG R\->B NEG } IFTE > \>> 'SR\->B' STO > > \ B RR R } { NEG B\->R NEG } IFTE > \>> ...

  1. Re: BASE help please.

    On Mar 9, 9:26 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:

    > \<< DUP 0. \>= { R\->B } { NEG R\->B NEG } IFTE
    > \>> 'SR\->B' STO
    >
    > \<< DUP 1. R\->B RR < { B\->R } { NEG B\->R NEG } IFTE
    > \>> 'SB\->R' STO

    John, thank you again for the programs. I have been trying to enter
    your program but I am afraid I cannot figure out the 50g equivalent
    of:

    \>=

    I keep getting an Invalid Syntax error. It is in the first line of the
    first program. I think it is an ascii translation of some keys on the
    50g, but I do not know which.

    If you could explain I would appreciate it. I think I have the rest
    figured out ok.

    Regards,
    Pal

  2. Re: BASE help please.

    In article <1175052125.915724.117160@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    pgyore@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Mar 9, 9:26 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    >
    > > \<< DUP 0. \>= { R\->B } { NEG R\->B NEG } IFTE
    > > \>> 'SR\->B' STO
    > >
    > > \<< DUP 1. R\->B RR < { B\->R } { NEG B\->R NEG } IFTE
    > > \>> 'SB\->R' STO

    > John, thank you again for the programs. I have been trying to enter
    > your program but I am afraid I cannot figure out the 50g equivalent
    > of:
    >
    > \>=
    >
    > I keep getting an Invalid Syntax error. It is in the first line of the
    > first program. I think it is an ascii translation of some keys on the
    > 50g, but I do not know which.

    The backslash indicates an ascii sequence representing an HP character
    for which there is no corresponding ACSCII character.

    "\<=" represents the less than or equal character keyed in by left-shift
    X.

    > If you could explain I would appreciate it. I think I have the rest
    > figured out ok.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Pal

  3. Re: BASE help please.

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:58:24 -0500:

    > The backslash indicates an ascii sequence representing an HP character
    > [ISO-8859-1] for which there is no corresponding ACSCII character.
    >
    > "\<=" represents the less than or equal character [LS X]

    And \>= is "greater or equal" [LS Y], as used in the posted program.

    "Ascii \xx symbols and %%HP headers"
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e9cc3ee2b369b8

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: BASE help please.

    On Mar 27, 9:40 pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:58:24 -0500:
    >
    > > The backslash indicates an ascii sequence representing an HP character
    > > [ISO-8859-1] for which there is no corresponding ACSCII character.

    > > "\<=" represents the less than or equal character [LS X]

    > And \>= is "greater or equal" [LS Y], as used in the posted program.
    >
    > "Ascii \xx symbols and %%HP headers"http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/52e9cc3ee2b369b8
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    Thank you Virgil and John. And thank you for the full reference card,
    John. I knew I saw that before but I did not know what terms to use to
    search for it. Perhaps I should have tried "digraph" or
    "ISO-8859-1"

    By the way, I also scanned the hp16 emulators / simulators at hpcalc
    using 16c filtered link you sent me, John, and it looked as though the
    "HP 16C Simulator" was the only one with a tiny blue hp 49 icon next
    to it. Perhaps now is a good time to clear up a potential
    misconception. Do programs for the 48 series work on an hp 50g, or
    should I keep to the programs with a tiny blue hp 49 icon, as I have
    in the past. I might like to try several older programs, but I was
    afraid of compatibility issues.

    Also, the HP 16C Simulator archive contains 3 files. One is a .src
    file, which contains (ascii) source code. Another is a .txt file,
    which contains a few words from the author and again the source code.
    The third is a .dir file, which appears to contain binary data. There
    is no minimal install instructions. After receiving your programs
    (which I have not yet typed into my calculator due to writing this), I
    do not know if I should even bother with the simulator. But I am
    curious! Can I install?

    Thanks again,
    Pal

  5. Re: BASE help please.

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:07:31 -0500:

    > what terms to use to search for [ascii translation chart];
    > perhaps "digraph"

    That's the exact same word I just rubbed into the
    bloodhound's face before barking "go find it, Rufus!"
    at which command he parked himself directly above the spot
    from which the body of the old post could be exhumed.

    In case anyone wants to borrow Rufus for himself, he lives at
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...:comp.sys.hp48

    > By the way, I also scanned the hp16 emulators / simulators at hpcalc
    > and it looked as though the "HP 16C Simulator" was the only one
    > with a tiny blue hp 49 icon next to it.

    Tiny?

    You must have one of those 3072x2304 monitors,
    which make Mount Everest look like an anthill

    > Perhaps now is a good time to clear up a potential
    > misconception. Do programs for the 48 series work on an hp 50g,
    > or should I keep to the programs with a tiny blue hp 49 icon,
    > as I have in the past. I might like to try several older programs,
    > but I was afraid of compatibility issues.

    Is anyone afraid of accidentally plugging a USA-model
    110-volt toaster into a 220-volt outlet in Switzerland?
    Why no, because the plug won't fit!

    Binary files from 48 series won't be accepted when copied
    to 49/50 series calcs, and vice-versa.

    Source files, on the other hand,
    contain words which a compiler within each calc
    will translate on the spot to the correct addresses for that calc,
    so the issue of incompatible ROM addresses almost vanishes
    (except for SYSEVAL & LIBEVAL, whose arguments *are*
    ROM addresses and/or other possibly incompatible numbers).

    Only a close inspection of the downloadable zip contents
    fully reveals what kind of content is in each file:

    %%HP:... or \<<...\>> etc. [text source]

    HPHP48-x... [48 series binary]

    HPHP49-x... [49/50 series binary] [48Gii too]

    "This wonderful program..." [The Fine Manual?]
    (may contain source text within, or even poetry)

    Binary files are sure to load exactly as originally created,
    and can only load on the identical series calc.

    Source files get [re]compiled as they are being transferred,
    so when transferred between different series (or occasionally
    even between same series with different stuff loaded),
    imperfect reproduction may ensue from different vars,
    libs, command names/functions, whole numbers compiling
    as "Exact" (integer) vs. "Approximate" (real) objects,
    hardware differences (screen size, port numbers),
    and other quantum perturbations and uncertainties.

    SysRPL source may be either more compatible or less compatible
    than UserRPL, depending on more factors than these marginal notes
    can contain.

    > Also, the HP 16C Simulator archive contains 3 files. One is a .src
    > file, which contains (ascii) source code. Another is a .txt file,
    > which contains a few words from the author and again the source code.
    > The third is a .dir file, which appears to contain binary data.

    > There are no minimal install instructions. I do not know
    > whether I should even bother with the simulator.
    > But I am curious! Can I install?

    Binary files can only be meant for installing,
    so why not give them their opportunity to do just that?

    If there's only source and no binary, then of course
    one has to resort to compiling, just like Unix geeks
    who have never downloaded a binary executable in their lives,
    only "tarballs" with source and "make" files

    And don't forget to always have paid-up insurance (backup)
    before you let any strange contractors into your house

    [r->] [OFF]

  6. Re: BASE help please.

    On Mar 28, 12:30 am, "John H Meyers" wrote:

    (snipped)

    > And don't forget to always have paid-up insurance (backup)
    > before you let any strange contractors into your house

    John,

    Thank you for ALL the advice. From what it sounds, I can play with
    program distributions that contain source code (which may or may not
    work), and stay away from binaries (which may or may not work). Unless
    they're compiled specifically for my model machine. In which case they
    may or may not work.

    Got it.

    I did manage to key in your 'SR->B' and 'SB->R' successfully. Thank
    you, thank you. I look forward to learning UserRPL soon, having
    finally learned RPN and understanding the stack.

    Is there a flag I can set to have the calc NOT automatically add
    spaces when adding symbols such as \-> or DUP or other.. I struggled
    for some time with "Syntax Error" simply because my R->B was typed as
    R -> B. (I realize this is a minor thing).

    Thanks!
    Pal

  7. Re: BASE help please.

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:25:30 -0500, wrote:

    > From what it sounds, I can play with program distributions
    > that contain source code (which may or may not work),
    > and stay away from binaries (which may or may not work).
    > Unless they're compiled specifically for my model machine.
    > In which case they may or may not work.

    Oh dear, is that what I said? ;-)

    Well, I meant to *encourage* trying any binaries first.

    There is no danger of accidentally executing
    a binary program that's not made for your calc series,
    because if you transfer a binary for the wrong series,
    it simply sits there as a string beginning with either
    "HPHP48-x" or "HPHP49-x" and won't do anything else,
    so what I meant was that just as the cables for one calc
    can't even be plugged into the other, neither can any
    binary program be accidentally plugged into the wrong calc.

    If there is a binary for your series, then that's
    the *most* likely to just work upon installing,
    because loading a binary bypasses all the potential
    issues associated with re-compiling.

    > Is there a flag I can set to have the calc NOT
    > automatically add spaces when adding symbols
    > such as \-> or DUP or other.. I struggled
    > for some time with "Syntax Error" simply because my
    > R->B was typed as R -> B

    Stay in *Alpha* mode whenever you are "spelling out"
    command names, and no extra spaces will appear.

    When *not* in Alpha mode, most keys (except digits)
    enter an entire command at a time, and automatically
    insert spaces between commands (even the \-> key
    also acts as an entire command, all by itself,
    unless typed in Alpha mode).

    If you can find the menu that contains the whole command
    you want to enter (e.g. MTH BASE contains R\->B and B\->R),
    then pressing that key enters the entire command as one "token";
    you can decide which is faster -- spelling out
    or finding the function on the keyboard or in a menu
    (the CATalog can also be used, saving time with
    longer command names or repeating the same command).

    o Alpha ON to spell out character-by character.

    o Alpha OFF to insert one complete command per key,
    which automatically inserts spaces in between.

    The \-> key acts like one character in Alpha mode.

    The \-> key otherwise generates a separate \-> *command*

    "By George, he's got it!"
    [Eliza Doolittle, after Henry Higgins finally proposed :]

    Audrey Hepburn - L'Ange des Enfants
    http://www.audrey1.com/films/lady.html

+ Reply to Thread