Objects on SD card - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Objects on SD card - Hewlett Packard ; Hi Group. I thought I had understood, it turned out I didn't 1. if I create directories on an SD card using the PC, they're "DOS objects", let me say, and can't be properly reognized (i.e., manipulated, browsed, modified) on ...

  1. Objects on SD card

    Hi Group.
    I thought I had understood, it turned out I didn't
    1. if I create directories on an SD card using the PC, they're "DOS
    objects", let me say, and can't be properly reognized (i.e.,
    manipulated, browsed, modified) on the 50G - right?
    2. if I create a dir on an SD card, for example by doing:

    \<< 1 + \>>
    ":3:PROGS/MYPROG"
    [ENTER]
    [STO]

    then the PROGS directory on the SD card *should* act as an HP object,
    i.e. should be modifiable - instead it is not
    Here's were I got screwed up - I'm missing some major point, but I
    can't grasp it.
    Anybody helps?

    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  2. Re: Objects on SD card

    > I thought I had understood, it turned out I didn't
    > 1. if I create directories on an SD card using the PC, they're "DOS
    > objects", let me say, and can't be properly reognized (i.e.,
    > manipulated, browsed, modified) on the 50G - right?

    Yes and no. They are DOS directories, but they can be modified using
    3rd party programs.

    > 2. if I create a dir on an SD card, for example by doing:
    >
    > \<< 1 + \>>
    > ":3:PROGS/MYPROG"
    > [ENTER]
    > [STO]
    >
    > then the PROGS directory on the SD card *should* act as an HP object,
    > i.e. should be modifiable - instead it is not

    What has happened here is that you created a DOS directory named
    "PROGS" and a variable inside named MYPROG. I imagine you are trying
    to make a directory with programs, in which you can see everything
    inside. You should understand that the HPDIRs are actually just files
    containing objects. The calculator doesn't have any sort of "folder"
    system like with FAT32. It just has routines able to access and
    display the various items zipped together.

    There are three things you could do. First, make a variable that
    contains a list of all the programs in your "PROGS" directory. You
    can then recall this to see what is there. 2nd, try using some more
    advanced code that will list items from the SD card. 3rd, go all out
    and use the HPGCC filesystem which has no such limitations.

    TW

  3. Re: Objects on SD card

    On 26 Mar, 15:21, "TW" wrote:
    > > I thought I had understood, it turned out I didn't
    > > 1. if I create directories on an SD card using the PC, they're "DOS
    > > objects", let me say, and can't be properly reognized (i.e.,
    > > manipulated, browsed, modified) on the 50G - right?

    > Yes and no. They are DOS directories, but they can be modified using
    > 3rd party programs.
    >
    > > 2. if I create a dir on an SD card, for example by doing:

    > > \<< 1 + \>>
    > > ":3:PROGS/MYPROG"
    > > [ENTER]
    > > [STO]

    > > then the PROGS directory on the SD card *should* act as an HP object,
    > > i.e. should be modifiable - instead it is not

    > What has happened here is that you created a DOS directory named
    > "PROGS" and a variable inside named MYPROG. I imagine you are trying
    > to make a directory with programs, in which you can see everything
    > inside. You should understand that the HPDIRs are actually just files
    > containing objects. The calculator doesn't have any sort of "folder"
    > system like with FAT32. It just has routines able to access and
    > display the various items zipped together.
    >
    > There are three things you could do. First, make a variable that
    > contains a list of all the programs in your "PROGS" directory. You
    > can then recall this to see what is there. 2nd, try using some more
    > advanced code that will list items from the SD card. 3rd, go all out
    > and use the HPGCC filesystem which has no such limitations.
    >
    > TW

    Tim,
    thanks for your answer, precise as always.
    >I imagine you are trying
    > to make a directory with programs, in which you can see everything
    > inside.

    Actually, I was trying to understand deeply and once for all why
    there's a limitation in interacting with the SD card acting on the
    calc.
    You clarified that even by using my dumb program, I was creating a
    *DOS* dir on the card, so facing again all the limitations in managing
    those *strange* (for the 50G) objects.
    So I guess that's why we can't use "NEW" or "CRDIR" to create anything
    on the SD card.
    Thanks again.

    All the best.
    Giancarlo