help please..... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on help please..... - Hewlett Packard ; Can MetaKernel be installed in a 2MB ram card? or does it have to be 128K? Also, if installed on a 2MB, would I still be able to use the rest of the space to store info? I am not ...

  1. help please.....

    Can MetaKernel be installed in a 2MB ram card? or does it have to be
    128K?
    Also, if installed on a 2MB, would I still be able to use the rest of
    the space to store info?
    I am not an expert with rams.
    thank in advance for responses....

  2. Re: help please.....

    Hello,

    IIRC a 2MB card is organized in chunks of 128KB. When installed in
    Port 2 the bankswitcher takes care to swap the needed/wanted 128KB-
    bank in.

    When installed in Port 1 only one bank of 128KB is visible, usally the
    first one but this is not guaranteed. So to your question: You could
    install MK on a 2MB card, but you won´t be able to use the rest of the
    card in Port 1 (regardless of MK). If somehow the bank switches
    (because Port 1 is only designed for 128KB-cards) your calc will
    warmstart. If the bank in which you installed MK is found at system
    start up you be back at the MK, otherwise you probably get some error
    messages or even a TTRM. You could copy MK to all banks of the 2MB
    card to avoid that, but what would be the sense in this?

    So, either get a 128KB card or a 50G.

    HTH
    Andreas
    http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de

    On 25 Mrz., 19:50, "J.Chen" wrote:
    > Can MetaKernel be installed in a 2MB ram card? or does it have to be
    > 128K?
    > Also, if installed on a 2MB, would I still be able to use the rest of
    > the space to store info?
    > I am not an expert with rams.
    > thank in advance for responses....

  3. Re: help please.....

    On Mar 26, 2:21 am, "Andreas Möller"
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > IIRC a 2MB card is organized in chunks of 128KB. When installed in
    > Port 2 the bankswitcher takes care to swap the needed/wanted 128KB-
    > bank in.
    >
    > When installed in Port 1 only one bank of 128KB is visible, usally the
    > first one but this is not guaranteed. So to your question: You could
    > install MK on a 2MB card, but you won´t be able to use the rest of the
    > card in Port 1 (regardless of MK). If somehow the bank switches
    > (because Port 1 is only designed for 128KB-cards) your calc will
    > warmstart. If the bank in which you installed MK is found at system
    > start up you be back at the MK, otherwise you probably get some error
    > messages or even a TTRM. You could copy MK to all banks of the 2MB
    > card to avoid that, but what would be the sense in this?
    >
    > So, either get a 128KB card or a 50G.
    >
    > HTH
    > Andreashttp://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
    >
    > On 25 Mrz., 19:50, "J.Chen" wrote:
    >
    > > Can MetaKernel be installed in a 2MB ram card? or does it have to be
    > > 128K?
    > > Also, if installed on a 2MB, would I still be able to use the rest of
    > > the space to store info?
    > > I am not an expert with rams.
    > > thank in advance for responses....

    I guess you are right, but I don't want to sell my 48GX. I know the
    50G is way better.
    Do you know where I can get a 128K ram (cheap)?
    thanks....

  4. Re: help please.....

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 03:21:49 -0500:

    > IIRC a 2MB card is organized in chunks of 128KB.
    > When installed in Port 2, the bankswitcher takes care
    > to swap the needed/wanted 128KB-bank in.

    So far, so good.

    > When installed in Port 1 only one bank of 128KB is visible,
    > usally the first one but this is not guaranteed.
    > So to your question: You could install MK on a 2MB card,
    > but you won´t be able to use the rest of the card
    > in Port 1 (regardless of MK).

    Assuming you mean an HP48GX:

    You won't, in fact, be able to use *any* card > 512K
    in slot 1, and even a 256K or 512K card has risks
    (just ask Dave Arnett

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....a4fc09f72c5987
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....43f42cdd648406

    The only exception is certain cards that have multiple 128K banks,
    but appear as a 128K card all the time, with an _external_ switch
    to select the "active" bank.

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread