New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems - Hewlett Packard ; I've been a long time lurker on this newsgroup, and was convinced by what I read to buy an HP 50G even though I already have a TI 89 Titanium. I received it a few days ago after ordering from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    I've been a long time lurker on this newsgroup, and was convinced by
    what I read to buy an HP 50G even though I already have a TI 89
    Titanium. I received it a few days ago after ordering from Amazon, and
    immediately set it up.

    Yesterday, I noticed that only after a couple days, it was giving me a
    low battery warning (the warning was LowBatt(s), I think--I looked it
    up and it was about the main batteries). I thought this was odd, but
    figured that the batteries it shipped with were old/bad, so I shrugged
    and replaced the batteries and continued using my calculator.

    Today, I use it early in the day, then leave it in its case for about
    8 hours. When I need it again, I open it the case to find a black line
    on the LED, slanting up from the absolute edge of the display (where
    the case meets the display), then straight across, and then a line
    slanting back down to the edge of the display. The right shift
    indicator was also blackened. I try hitting [on], [on]-a-f, and [on]-
    c, but nothing works, so I remove the batteries. I leave it for a
    moment, then reinsert the batteries. The screen is blank, and I hit
    [on]. Nothing happens. I remove the batteries once more and reinsert
    them. The display begins acting up. I see horizontal lines and
    indicators at the top of the screen flashing. I can hear faint clicks.
    i remove the battery once more, and this time remove the memory
    battery.

    I'm wondering what I should do from this point on. Is the flashing of
    the display damaging anything? Is it alright to reinsert the batteries
    to see what's happening? Also, after being reassured by the posts in
    this newsgroup, I'm quite disappointed with the quality of my 50G
    (model no. CNA 65103055). I'm sure it's a fluke, just a bad unit, but
    still. Any advice regarding how to go about getting this fixed? I
    though that RPN and the "HP way" were a great system--for the 3 days
    my calculator worked. Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    Further information:

    I reinserted the batteries on a whim and the calculator started back
    up--albeit with a LowBatt(s) warning. After testing the batteries
    (which I had removed from an unopened pack two days ago) with my
    multimeter, I discovered they were putting out only 1.05 V. Could I
    have gotten two bad batches of batteries, or is the calculator somehow
    running batteries down that fast? I don't have another batch of AAAs
    to test with tonight--any insights? I'm pretty sure the batch I
    replaced the original batteries with was good, but not absolutely
    certain.

  3. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:46:06 -0500, andrewthacker wrote:

    [Lo Batt when new, lines on display, annunciators stuck, etc.]

    It should be static-resistant too, in case that has anything
    to do with it. The hole in the bottom is where a large size
    paper clip may be inserted for reset, and ON+A+F -> "No"
    can then clear out memory and initialize everything.

    ON+D, ON+E, ON+F for self-tests (ON+C to exit).

    ON with [+] or [-] to adjust display contrast.

    > Any advice regarding how to go about getting this fixed?

    Doesn't HP meet its warranty obligations down in Texas,
    where its most successful competitor lives?

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:09:58 -0500, andrewthacker wrote:

    > Further information:

    [two-day old batts are at 1.05v each]

    They weren't left to bake in the desert sun, were they?
    (or the calc? -- not good for black plastic

    Well, you can measure next set of batteries "before" and "after";
    reject the gas guzzler if it doesn't meet EPA
    "miles of calculations per battery" federal standards

    [r->] [OFF]

  5. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    I dug out a new set of AAAs, tested each one on the multimeter.
    They're all at 1.61 V, give or take .005 V. Let's see how these do.
    I'm pretty certain that the last set I'd put in hadn't been abused in
    any way (they've been in an air-conditioned house all day), but let's
    see how this goes. How long should I expect these to last with light
    (1 hr/day) usage?

    Thanks for the quick reply--the HP user community seems to be much
    more helpful in general. I'm sure that HP would honor the warranty,
    but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix it myself.
    I'm still wondering about going through two sets of batteries so
    quickly--it seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

    What did you mean by "it should be static resistant too", John?

  6. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    My first 49G+ had this exact problem out of the box. HP replaced it
    with no questions asked when I informed them of the problem. Call
    1-800-HP INVENT.

  7. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 15, 8:09 pm, andrewthack...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Further information:
    >
    > I reinserted the batteries on a whim and the calculator started back
    > up--albeit with a LowBatt(s) warning. After testing the batteries
    > (which I had removed from an unopened pack two days ago) with my
    > multimeter, I discovered they were putting out only 1.05 V. Could I
    > have gotten two bad batches of batteries, or is the calculator somehow
    > running batteries down that fast? I don't have another batch of AAAs
    > to test with tonight--any insights? I'm pretty sure the batch I
    > replaced the original batteries with was good, but not absolutely
    > certain.

    I had the same battery drain problem with my previous 50G that I
    bought
    three weeks ago (serial no. CNA638xxxxx). With a new set of batteries
    (all
    at 1.6V) and the calculator was off, the power dropped to 1.3V just
    after 6 hr.
    After 25 hr, 3 dropped to 1.1 volts and 1 dropped to 0.32 volt. I
    contacted HP
    calculator support and got a replacement unit 3 days ago. This one
    (serial no.
    CNA701xxxxx) works fine and all the batteries are still at 1.55V after
    3 days.

  8. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    Thank you for all the helpful replies.

    The set of batteries that I had put in yesterday and tested at 1.6 V
    are now all at 1.1 V each, even though the calculator was on for less
    than half an hour overnight. It seems pretty clear that I'm
    experiencing the battery drain problem that some of the other people
    who have replied to this topic have.

    I'll be contacting HP and replacing my calculator at once. Thanks once
    more for all the help.

  9. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    A further update:

    Though I'm pleased with the quality of HP's tech support, I'm
    disappointed with the options they gave me. The acknowledged that this
    was a known problem, but the tech told me I'd have to mail in the
    calculator because the "engineers wanted to take a look at it." I have
    no problem with that, provided that once I fax them my receipt, they'd
    ship me a replacement, and fast. Instead, the tech told me that after
    they have ascertained the nature of the problem, it would take 10-15
    business days to get me my replacement. I asked him for better
    options, he gave me none.

    Over the weekend, he's having me attempt to "discharge all the static"
    by leaving all batteries out of the calculator for 24 hrs. Does anyone
    have more details about the nature of this problem? I searched around
    for "50g static" but didn't get much.

  10. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 16, 3:48 pm, andrewthack...@gmail.com wrote:
    > A further update:
    >
    > Though I'm pleased with the quality of HP's tech support, I'm
    > disappointed with the options they gave me. The acknowledged that this
    > was a known problem, but the tech told me I'd have to mail in the
    > calculator because the "engineers wanted to take a look at it." I have
    > no problem with that, provided that once I fax them my receipt, they'd
    > ship me a replacement, and fast. Instead, the tech told me that after
    > they have ascertained the nature of the problem, it would take 10-15
    > business days to get me my replacement. I asked him for better
    > options, he gave me none.
    >
    > Over the weekend, he's having me attempt to "discharge all the static"
    > by leaving all batteries out of the calculator for 24 hrs. Does anyone
    > have more details about the nature of this problem? I searched around
    > for "50g static" but didn't get much.

    A couple of points to consider:
    1. I have about 15 or more hours on the batteries in my 50g which are
    over a month old and their is no sign of these batteries being weak or
    low in voltage.
    2. You bought a new product that right out of the box didn't work
    properly. Any honest company will replace a new and defective item
    without delay, and with no questions asked.
    3. You got the same run around that I got on a defective printer back
    a while. I hoped that HP fixed it's poor customer service situation
    after the president from hell left, but apparently that isn't the
    case, and now I am feeling very lucky that my 50g works ok. At least
    so far it does.
    4. You should not have to do any kind of test over the week end.
    5. Call Hp again and see if the next person you talk to will resolve
    the situation more satisfactorily. If not talk to his supervisor. If
    that doesn't work, put up with the 15 day delay but do write a letter
    to the president of HP and be sure to name the customer service person
    that jerked you around.
    6. Thank you for posting that message. I have been concerned about
    HP customer service since I got a dead on arrival printer and had to
    wait about a month for HP to fix it. Apparently the departure of Ms.
    C. Fiorina, x-president of HP, isn't the only firing that needs to
    occur at Hp.
    7. If the situation is not satisfactorily remedied, don't buy any
    more HP products. I am sorry to hear about your plight. Please keep
    us informed. Thank you.

  11. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    JB: Thanks for all the information, especially regarding what the
    battery life should be like--I was wondering about that.

    You're absolutely right about how HP should be more quick to remedy
    the situation. I had attempted to speak to a supervisor on my first
    (and only) call to HP on Friday, and was told that the person I was
    speaking with would confer with his supervisor regarding my request
    for faster service and call me back on Monday. I decided that it would
    be ok--and I was trusting that the test he was having me to do wasn't
    BS--and agreed. So we'll see how things go on Monday--if they don't go
    well then, I certainly will raise a fuss with his superior. I have
    recorded all necessary information, in case I need to write a letter.

    Do you have any more information about this battery drain problem and
    what it has to do with static? I was wondering about one other thing--
    the representative said that the engineers needed examples of models
    with this problem to help fix the problem, but they said they'd send
    me a replacement. Wouldn't his comment imply that the problem hasn't
    been fixed? I'm assuming he's not being entirely honest, but as long
    as I get a working replacement, I don't care.

  12. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 17, 5:08 pm, akashthac...@gmail.com wrote:
    > JB: Thanks for all the information, especially regarding what the
    > battery life should be like--I was wondering about that.
    >
    > You're absolutely right about how HP should be more quick to remedy
    > the situation. I had attempted to speak to a supervisor on my first
    > (and only) call to HP on Friday, and was told that the person I was
    > speaking with would confer with his supervisor regarding my request
    > for faster service and call me back on Monday. I decided that it would
    > be ok--and I was trusting that the test he was having me to do wasn't
    > BS--and agreed. So we'll see how things go on Monday--if they don't go
    > well then, I certainly will raise a fuss with his superior. I have
    > recorded all necessary information, in case I need to write a letter.
    >
    > Do you have any more information about this battery drain problem and
    > what it has to do with static? I was wondering about one other thing--
    > the representative said that the engineers needed examples of models
    > with this problem to help fix the problem, but they said they'd send
    > me a replacement. Wouldn't his comment imply that the problem hasn't
    > been fixed? I'm assuming he's not being entirely honest, but as long
    > as I get a working replacement, I don't care.

    This is the first I have heard about a battery drain problem being
    related to static. From my experience as an electrical engineer, I am
    aware that occasionally simiconductors devices are permanently damaged
    from static electricity discharges from assembly workers and that
    wareing a ground strap is the preventative. I have never heard of a
    tempory problem and although I have been in the industry for decades
    and not heard of such a thing, I would not rule it out in a rare
    instance. In any case I doubt that the customer service person you
    talked with is qualified to trouble shoot the situation and when
    someone won't let me talk to a supervisor, that makes me very
    suspecious about what he is doing. Get a replacement and let them
    worry about the problem. All though I am not sure about the exact
    figures, I think it safe to say that when the calculator is not being
    used, good batteries should last for months just like in a flash
    light.

  13. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    andrewthacker1@gmail.com wrote:
    > Over the weekend, he's having me attempt to "discharge all the static"
    > by leaving all batteries out of the calculator for 24 hrs. Does anyone
    > have more details about the nature of this problem? I searched around
    > for "50g static" but didn't get much.

    he probably thought about "discharging" the capacitor that sits right
    besides the battery compartment (visible here on images 1-5:
    http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiw...s.cgi?read=408).

  14. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On 17 Mar 2007 17:08:06 -0700, akashthacker@gmail.com wrote:

    >JB: Thanks for all the information, especially regarding what the
    >battery life should be like--I was wondering about that.
    >
    >You're absolutely right about how HP should be more quick to remedy
    >the situation. I had attempted to speak to a supervisor on my first
    >(and only) call to HP on Friday, and was told that the person I was
    >speaking with would confer with his supervisor regarding my request
    >for faster service and call me back on Monday. I decided that it would
    >be ok--and I was trusting that the test he was having me to do wasn't
    >BS--and agreed. So we'll see how things go on Monday--if they don't go
    >well then, I certainly will raise a fuss with his superior. I have
    >recorded all necessary information, in case I need to write a letter.
    >
    >Do you have any more information about this battery drain problem and
    >what it has to do with static? I was wondering about one other thing--
    >the representative said that the engineers needed examples of models
    >with this problem to help fix the problem, but they said they'd send
    >me a replacement. Wouldn't his comment imply that the problem hasn't
    >been fixed? I'm assuming he's not being entirely honest, but as long
    >as I get a working replacement, I don't care.

    I have not heard anything about the 50G, but the 49G+ had his problem
    when it was first released.
    Harold A Climer
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
    Room 309 Grote Hall
    615 McCallie Ave
    Chattanooga TN 37403
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  15. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 18, 11:57 am, Harold A Climer wrote:
    > On 17 Mar 2007 17:08:06 -0700, akashthac...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > >JB: Thanks for all the information, especially regarding what the
    > >battery life should be like--I was wondering about that.

    > >You're absolutely right about how HP should be more quick to remedy
    > >the situation. I had attempted to speak to a supervisor on my first
    > >(and only) call to HP on Friday, and was told that the person I was
    > >speaking with would confer with his supervisor regarding my request
    > >for faster service and call me back on Monday. I decided that it would
    > >be ok--and I was trusting that the test he was having me to do wasn't
    > >BS--and agreed. So we'll see how things go on Monday--if they don't go
    > >well then, I certainly will raise a fuss with his superior. I have
    > >recorded all necessary information, in case I need to write a letter.

    > >Do you have any more information about this battery drain problem and
    > >what it has to do with static? I was wondering about one other thing--
    > >the representative said that the engineers needed examples of models
    > >with this problem to help fix the problem, but they said they'd send
    > >me a replacement. Wouldn't his comment imply that the problem hasn't
    > >been fixed? I'm assuming he's not being entirely honest, but as long
    > >as I get a working replacement, I don't care.

    > I have not heard anything about the 50G, but the 49G+ had his problem
    > when it was first released.
    > Harold A Climer
    > University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    > Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
    > Room 309 Grote Hall
    > 615 McCallie Ave
    > Chattanooga TN 37403
    > Harold-Cli...@utc.edu- Hide quoted text -

    Thats very interesting Harold. Do you remember any details such as
    was the problem permanent damage or did the problem go away when the
    static electricity was disappated, or any specifics such as what what
    the fix for the problem?

  16. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    > Thats very interesting Harold. Do you remember any details such as
    > was the problem permanent damage or did the problem go away when the
    > static electricity was disappated, or any specifics such as what what
    > the fix for the problem?

    The problem was in the ROM. An updated version fixed it.

    Tom Lake

  17. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    Thanks once more for all the help.

    I searched around for "49g+ battery" and found quite a few posts that
    described problems similar to mine with the 49G+. Stories of how the
    50G/49G+ lasted only a few weeks on a set of batteries even when
    operating properly concern me. My 89 Titanium regularly lasts a 18 wks
    or so on 4 AAAs. I do realize that there are significant differences
    in the processors, but still--the 89 seems to be snappier in most
    everyday operations (I understand that the 50G is using the ARM to
    emulate the old Saturn processor, which probably explains how a 14 MHz
    Motorola 68k can feel faster than a 75 MHz ARM). That's disappointing,
    but RPN and how the 50G is just better suited for the sort of work I
    have to do is enough to get me to use it--if it's working.

    Hopefully, when HP calls me tomorrow, they'll be able to offer me a
    better solution. I see that this problem was not uncommon on the 49G+
    but still wonder how it managed to pop up again on the 50G (and it
    isn't isolated--see wahwong's post above), especially since it was
    supposed to have been fixed by a ROM update. Any insight would be
    nice, though I don't plan on fixing the problem myself. I fully expect
    HP to furnish me with a properly functioning replacement, but I'm
    curious if anyone knows what's causing this.

  18. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    The battery problem present in the 49g+ early runs was a completely
    different thing. The processor wasn't going to sleep when you powered
    the calc off if my memory serves. This was quickly fixed with a ROM
    update.

    Batteries only lasting a day or two is a completely different thing
    and has nothing to do with ROM updates. Seems to be some electrical
    defect. The reason they want you to completely discharge the static
    is to make sure that there isn't some residual electrical charge in
    there somewhere messing with things. It is probably in the standard
    support script. (step 2 after "What is the problem?")

    TW

  19. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 15, 7:46 pm, andrewthack...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've been a long time lurker on this newsgroup, and was convinced by
    > what I read to buy an HP 50G even though I already have a TI 89
    > Titanium. I received it a few days ago after ordering from Amazon, and
    > immediately set it up.
    >
    > Yesterday, I noticed that only after a couple days, it was giving me a
    > low battery warning (the warning was LowBatt(s), I think--I looked it
    > up and it was about the main batteries). I thought this was odd, but
    > figured that the batteries it shipped with were old/bad, so I shrugged
    > and replaced the batteries and continued using my calculator.
    >
    > Today, I use it early in the day, then leave it in its case for about
    > 8 hours. When I need it again, I open it the case to find a black line
    > on the LED, slanting up from the absolute edge of the display (where
    > the case meets the display), then straight across, and then a line
    > slanting back down to the edge of the display. The right shift
    > indicator was also blackened. I try hitting [on], [on]-a-f, and [on]-
    > c, but nothing works, so I remove the batteries. I leave it for a
    > moment, then reinsert the batteries. The screen is blank, and I hit
    > [on]. Nothing happens. I remove the batteries once more and reinsert
    > them. The display begins acting up. I see horizontal lines and
    > indicators at the top of the screen flashing. I can hear faint clicks.
    > i remove the battery once more, and this time remove the memory
    > battery.
    >
    > I'm wondering what I should do from this point on. Is the flashing of
    > the display damaging anything? Is it alright to reinsert the batteries
    > to see what's happening? Also, after being reassured by the posts in
    > this newsgroup, I'm quite disappointed with the quality of my 50G
    > (model no. CNA 65103055). I'm sure it's a fluke, just a bad unit, but
    > still. Any advice regarding how to go about getting this fixed? I
    > though that RPN and the "HP way" were a great system--for the 3 days
    > my calculator worked. Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Andrew,

    My HP 50g batteries lasted longer than yours did but I did find a
    solution. On page 1-2 in the manual, there is an instruction for
    making the display lighter. I took my display to the lightest
    possible setting and my second pack of batteries is still going but I
    have not kept a record of how long they have been in the machine.
    Possibly about two weeks. Since rechargable batteries should not be
    used, I am doing this, even though the display is not as easy to
    read. But one gets used to it!

    Charles A. Huffer

  20. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    wrote in message
    news:1174085281.138078.214990@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    >A further update:
    >
    > Though I'm pleased with the quality of HP's tech support, I'm
    > disappointed with the options they gave me. The acknowledged that this
    > was a known problem, but the tech told me I'd have to mail in the
    > calculator because the "engineers wanted to take a look at it." I have
    > no problem with that, provided that once I fax them my receipt, they'd
    > ship me a replacement, and fast. Instead, the tech told me that after
    > they have ascertained the nature of the problem, it would take 10-15
    > business days to get me my replacement. I asked him for better
    > options, he gave me none.
    >
    > Over the weekend, he's having me attempt to "discharge all the static"
    > by leaving all batteries out of the calculator for 24 hrs. Does anyone
    > have more details about the nature of this problem? I searched around
    > for "50g static" but didn't get much.

    (only slightly off topic)

    It should be said to all the HP newcomers that HP had much better customer
    support in the past. I once had an intermittent internal break in a power
    cord for an HP-67 charger. HP sent a replacement within a week at no cost.
    I didn't have to pay shipping, didn't have to return the defective part,
    give a serial number, or anything. One phone call and the problem was
    solved. And much later (sometime in the late 80's I think) I called HP and
    told them I had bought a used HP-25C and asked if they still had a set of
    manuals I could buy. No original manuals were available, but they sent me a
    photocopied & bound set of the manual and applications book. Again, no
    charge.

    -J

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast