New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems - Hewlett Packard ; On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:46:06 -0700, andrewthacker1 wrote: > Yesterday, I noticed that only after a couple days, it was giving me a low > battery warning (the warning was LowBatt(s), I think--I looked it up and > it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:46:06 -0700, andrewthacker1 wrote:

    > Yesterday, I noticed that only after a couple days, it was giving me a low
    > battery warning (the warning was LowBatt(s), I think--I looked it up and
    > it was about the main batteries). I thought this was odd, but figured that
    > the batteries it shipped with were old/bad, so I shrugged and replaced the
    > batteries and continued using my calculator.

    I've occasionally seen flash cards draw excessive current in low-power
    devices. If you have a SD card plugged in, you might try removing it or
    swapping it for another brand.

  2. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    Thanks for all the replies and apologies for taking so long to
    respond.

    First, I'll address everyone's suggestions:

    TW--I agree that the problem with the 49G+ was completely different. I
    have no idea what causes this.

    Charles--I was running the calculator with a very light screen anyhow,
    and even so, my 50G would only last 2 or so days with a new set of
    batteries (confirmed with a multimeter).

    John--I'm sure that HP's customer service was great and those stories
    are also wonderful, but that's clearly not the case today,
    unfortunately.

    Rubbernecker--I thought of that as well, and tried removing my 64 MB
    SD card with this last set of batteries; it did not remedy the
    problem.

    After getting in touch with HP once more, they have confirmed that
    they will ship me a replacement immediately, instead of after
    receiving and inspecting my old calculator, but that shipping time
    would still vary, taking up to 3 weeks. The rep I spoke with said that
    a guaranteed, expedited shipping option was not available. At least
    they're sending the replacement out first, unlike before, and without
    too much work on my part.

    Does anyone have any other ideas about what may be causing the
    problem?

    I really hope that my replacement 50G works properly.

  3. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On 24 Mar 2007 00:50:26 -0700, andrewthacker1@gmail.com wrote:

    >Thanks for all the replies and apologies for taking so long to
    >respond.
    >
    >First, I'll address everyone's suggestions:
    >
    >TW--I agree that the problem with the 49G+ was completely different. I
    >have no idea what causes this.
    >
    >Charles--I was running the calculator with a very light screen anyhow,
    >and even so, my 50G would only last 2 or so days with a new set of
    >batteries (confirmed with a multimeter).
    >
    >John--I'm sure that HP's customer service was great and those stories
    >are also wonderful, but that's clearly not the case today,
    >unfortunately.
    >
    >Rubbernecker--I thought of that as well, and tried removing my 64 MB
    >SD card with this last set of batteries; it did not remedy the
    >problem.
    >
    >After getting in touch with HP once more, they have confirmed that
    >they will ship me a replacement immediately, instead of after
    >receiving and inspecting my old calculator, but that shipping time
    >would still vary, taking up to 3 weeks. The rep I spoke with said that
    >a guaranteed, expedited shipping option was not available. At least
    >they're sending the replacement out first, unlike before, and without
    >too much work on my part.
    >
    >Does anyone have any other ideas about what may be causing the
    >problem?
    >
    >I really hope that my replacement 50G works properly.

    I remember reading in this group, that if the IR transmitter is left
    on it can bleed the batteries down pretty quickly.
    Have you checked that?
    Harold A Climer
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
    Room 309 Grote Hall
    615 McCallie Ave
    Chattanooga TN 37403
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  4. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 24, 5:15 pm, Harold A Climer wrote:
    > I remember reading in this group, that if the IR transmitter is left
    > on it can bleed the batteries down pretty quickly.

    Hi Harold!

    I've scanned the PDFs that I've been able to download, and couldn't
    locate any information on how to make sure the IR transmitter is off.
    If there's a way, I couldn't find it. How do you do it? (By the way,
    my HP-50G, purchased from Amazon, doesn't have the problem described
    in this thread, but it's still nice to know how to make sure the IR is
    off, since I never use it.)

    - LW

  5. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Mar 16, 6:48 pm, andrewthack...@gmail.com wrote:
    > A further update:
    >
    > Though I'm pleased with the quality of HP's tech support, I'm
    > disappointed with the options they gave me. The acknowledged that this
    > was a known problem, but the tech told me I'd have to mail in the
    > calculator because the "engineers wanted to take a look at it." I have
    > no problem with that, provided that once I fax them my receipt, they'd
    > ship me a replacement, and fast. Instead, the tech told me that after
    > they have ascertained the nature of the problem, it would take 10-15
    > business days to get me my replacement. I asked him for better
    > options, he gave me none.
    >
    > Over the weekend, he's having me attempt to "discharge all the static"
    > by leaving all batteries out of the calculator for 24 hrs. Does anyone
    > have more details about the nature of this problem? I searched around
    > for "50g static" but didn't get much.

    Interesting. The kid's calculator (CNA644) has this fuzzy black spot
    on the screen which increases with contrast. Soon he's starting a two
    week vacation so I asked how long to replace and I was told two weeks
    since they want to look at it first. He also told me to remove the
    batteries for two days. I did last weekend and it didn't help.

    I have a CNA634 and the batteries last from 2 weeks to 6 weeks. At
    night I may use it a lot. think it comes to about 40 to 60 hours of
    full time use. Too bad there's no timer such as with cell phones.

  6. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:43:45 -0500, Lone Wolfy wrote:

    > how to make sure the IR transmitter is off?

    CLOSEIO command (or simply turning off, then back on)
    is supposed to turn off all I/O (IR & Serial).

    HP50G (but not 49G+)
    runs on USB power (not batteries)
    if cable is plugged into a powered host,
    so that's one way to conserve batteries during long hours at desk.

    However, if host is powered down
    while 50G has been left on and plugged into it,
    there's been a report that 50G may "brown out" (lose power),
    which has been called the "brown out bug"
    (not to be confused with a brown bug,
    which could be a brown recluse spider, or a Classic VW

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > HP50G (but not 49G+)
    > runs on USB power (not batteries)
    > if cable is plugged into a powered host,
    > so that's one way to conserve batteries during long hours at desk.
    >
    > However, if host is powered down
    > while 50G has been left on and plugged into it,
    > there's been a report that 50G may "brown out" (lose power),
    > which has been called the "brown out bug"

    strangely the opposite is also true: if host is powered down while 50G
    has been left *off* and plugged into it, the calc is turned on...! How'd
    you call that "bug"?

  8. Re: New HP 50G owner, experiencing problems

    Thanks once more for all the help.

    HP has agreed to ship me a replacement as soon as I fax them my
    receipt and return the unit that I have now--and need for school--
    after receiving the replacement.

    In the mean time, I plan on using the USB power feature to run the
    calculator at my desk--how useful, eh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2